U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:31 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,242,201 times

Advertisements

I haven't personally seen anyone littering since the hotline was set up. I always keep trash in my car until I reach my destination and then throw out the stuff in a trashcan. I'd rather live near a trashy neighbor and be able to do whatever I want to my home and property than live near a clean neighbor but yet cannot paint my home the color I want without checking with the committee first, or put decorations in my windows without first checking with the committee, or cut the grass when I feel it needs to be cut instead of having a committee member come to my yard with a ruler to measure my grass, or whatever else the association rules dictate. That's some of the things you may have to deal with at the ranch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:34 AM

887 posts, read 2,708,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I haven't personally seen anyone littering since the hotline was set up. I always keep trash in my car until I reach my destination and then throw out the stuff in a trashcan. I'd rather live near a trashy neighbor and be able to do whatever I want to my home and property than live near a clean neighbor but yet cannot paint my home the color I want without checking with the committee first, or put decorations in my windows without first checking with the committee, or cut the grass when I feel it needs to be cut instead of having a committee member come to my yard with a ruler to measure my grass, or whatever else the association rules dictate. That's some of the things you may have to deal with at the ranch.
Great post. I totally agree!

Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,242,201 times
My wife is a fan of LSU. She likes to say she attended LSU,...Louisiana State Unemploment.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:41 AM

887 posts, read 2,708,968 times
Well, that's where a bunch of those degrees end up.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:01 AM

5 posts, read 94,242 times
Responding to HoustonRedHead -

In answer to your questions:

Galveston and Austin, specifically.

You asked me if I am a bigot. Hardly. Should you choose to reread my post you quoted and sliced excerpts from, you may notice that I was specifically referring to Texans and Louisianians who choose to use the N-Word. My generalization does not refer to the ENTIRE South.

Here is what I wrote on that topic in - it's entirety - to reiterate my point:

" I never seem to get numb to the N-word. It is always a jolt to my sensibilities, and it was a HUGE issue for me when I relocated, first to the Texas Coast, and then more recently, the Lafayette area. I initially started out refusing to allow the word to sneak past me in a conversation without being commented on. If it was said in my presence, I remarked at the ignorance that the word implied.

I learned VERY QUICKLY that you DO NOT tell people not to use that word. The can of worms it opens up is ridiculous, and there is no winning. It is almost a right to call people that word in the South, and Southerners defend that right vehemently. If they only knew how ignorant even the most casual use of that word makes them look and sound to the rest of the world... like a portion of their social development has been starved. They appear to have stunted their own growth and remained socially-retarded, because that's just how they were taught.

I was taught not to go outside in cold weather with wet hair or barefeet or I would catch a cold. Now, I have enough education to realize colds are cause by viruses, not wet hair or bare feet. If I ask a person if they are aware that viruses cause colds, they say, OF COURSE. But in the next sentence, you'll hear them repeat the wet hair/barefeet theory. It's JUST HOW THEY WERE RAISED.

That's exactly how the N-Word is."

My remarks here are from EXPERIENCE. Not as a Black person, but as a white person who is still shocked and disappointed by the ACCEPTANCE of white-to-black prejudice even though I have been exposed to it repeatedly. However, I also stated my awareness of black-to-white prejudice. Many, many Black people here also obviously have a disdain for my skin color.

It's one feeling to know you have pissed someone off in word or deed. It's quite a different one to have people "pre-pissed" at you and they have never met you. That is a new feeling I never experienced prior to my relocation to THE SOUTH.

I never said all, on either side. But I stand by what I said, Whites do not mix with Blacks here. Not socially, not romantically, and not even in Business. Yes, a few do. But, it is not socially acceptable. Socially, like, on a social level. Like, as a society. Like, as a community. Like, how people relate and respond to one another as a functioning system of expected behaviors.

Here's another very recent example of the social rejection of Blacks perhaps someone raised here might not internalize had it happened to them:

Yesterday, I had a computer issue, and I called on a gal I'd heard of who fixes computers. I spoke to her on the phone. I was mildly ascertained she might possibly be black by her African-sounding name and dialect. I asked her to come over as soon as she could.

When I got off the phone, a neighbor kid was present, taking a break from doing some yardwork for me. I mentioned I was having this computer repair person come by. The neighbor said they knew her, and I asked him if he felt if I was putting my computer in capable hands.

His response? "Oh, yea. She's trustworthy. But if she is coming to your house you should know she's Black. "

It turns out, my neighbor kid practically lives with her, eats at her house 3-4 times a week, and she is dating his older brother. But even he felt he had to warn me of her race, as if I would wig out at the shocking discovery that I had invited a black person into my home.

This kid is 16. The awareness of the current racial climate of Lafayette has been impressed upon him. It's all not in my head.

It's in front of my face.

~Skip

Old 04-22-2009, 06:03 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,680,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo View Post
Responding to HoustonRedHead -

In answer to your questions:

Galveston and Austin, specifically.

You asked me if I am a bigot. Hardly. Should you choose to reread my post you quoted and sliced excerpts from, you may notice that I was specifically referring to Texans and Louisianians who choose to use the N-Word. My generalization does not refer to the ENTIRE South.

Here is what I wrote on that topic in - it's entirety - to reiterate my point:

" I never seem to get numb to the N-word. It is always a jolt to my sensibilities, and it was a HUGE issue for me when I relocated, first to the Texas Coast, and then more recently, the Lafayette area. I initially started out refusing to allow the word to sneak past me in a conversation without being commented on. If it was said in my presence, I remarked at the ignorance that the word implied.

I learned VERY QUICKLY that you DO NOT tell people not to use that word. The can of worms it opens up is ridiculous, and there is no winning. It is almost a right to call people that word in the South, and Southerners defend that right vehemently. If they only knew how ignorant even the most casual use of that word makes them look and sound to the rest of the world... like a portion of their social development has been starved. They appear to have stunted their own growth and remained socially-retarded, because that's just how they were taught.

I was taught not to go outside in cold weather with wet hair or barefeet or I would catch a cold. Now, I have enough education to realize colds are cause by viruses, not wet hair or bare feet. If I ask a person if they are aware that viruses cause colds, they say, OF COURSE. But in the next sentence, you'll hear them repeat the wet hair/barefeet theory. It's JUST HOW THEY WERE RAISED.

That's exactly how the N-Word is."

My remarks here are from EXPERIENCE. Not as a Black person, but as a white person who is still shocked and disappointed by the ACCEPTANCE of white-to-black prejudice even though I have been exposed to it repeatedly. However, I also stated my awareness of black-to-white prejudice. Many, many Black people here also obviously have a disdain for my skin color.

It's one feeling to know you have pissed someone off in word or deed. It's quite a different one to have people "pre-pissed" at you and they have never met you. That is a new feeling I never experienced prior to my relocation to THE SOUTH.

I never said all, on either side. But I stand by what I said, Whites do not mix with Blacks here. Not socially, not romantically, and not even in Business. Yes, a few do. But, it is not socially acceptable. Socially, like, on a social level. Like, as a society. Like, as a community. Like, how people relate and respond to one another as a functioning system of expected behaviors.

Here's another very recent example of the social rejection of Blacks perhaps someone raised here might not internalize had it happened to them:

Yesterday, I had a computer issue, and I called on a gal I'd heard of who fixes computers. I spoke to her on the phone. I was mildly ascertained she might possibly be black by her African-sounding name and dialect. I asked her to come over as soon as she could.

When I got off the phone, a neighbor kid was present, taking a break from doing some yardwork for me. I mentioned I was having this computer repair person come by. The neighbor said they knew her, and I asked him if he felt if I was putting my computer in capable hands.

His response? "Oh, yea. She's trustworthy. But if she is coming to your house you should know she's Black. "

It turns out, my neighbor kid practically lives with her, eats at her house 3-4 times a week, and she is dating his older brother. But even he felt he had to warn me of her race, as if I would wig out at the shocking discovery that I had invited a black person into my home.

This kid is 16. The awareness of the current racial climate of Lafayette has been impressed upon him. It's all not in my head.

It's in front of my face.

~Skip
seems to me that you should spend some time on the northside of town and get to know people there.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:04 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,373,886 times
Quote:
I have family here. It's a great life and wonderful people, as long as you don't bring home any black people. And if you are black, don't bring home a white person.

skippydoo
I beg to differ, it sounds like your family is racist and you're trying to make it look like everyone here is the same. I bet you can find racism alive a well where you are from if you look for it.

I'm not saying that racism is going on here but to group everyone here as racist is wrong. And to say that we can't bring home blacks are that blacks can't bring home whites is also wrong, and I can back up what I say.

This first pic is of a good friend of our family, Detroit sitting with my wife at a crawfish boil we had.

The second pic is my daughter at a very good friend's daughters wedding that my daughter stood in.

The third pic is of all the brides mades and if you look close they are black and white.

The forth pic is of both black and white families enjoying the wedding.

The fifth pic is of my family at the reception.

And the last pic is of Vincent and his daughter, Jessica who we consider to be like our own daughter.

So next time before you group everyone as being racist you should know that you are wrong.

busta
Attached Thumbnails
River ranch, lafayette SNOOTY?-img_2618.jpg   River ranch, lafayette SNOOTY?-img_2802.jpg   River ranch, lafayette SNOOTY?-img_2813.jpg   River ranch, lafayette SNOOTY?-img_2869.jpg   River ranch, lafayette SNOOTY?-img_2881.jpg  

River ranch, lafayette SNOOTY?-img_2884.jpg  

Old 05-28-2009, 05:16 PM

I dont think it refers to any specific individual or families, but rather the pervading viewpoint of Lafayette overall. the northside has been a racial mix for decades, so it has grown accustomed to this sort of thing. The church I attend with my mother my whole life is a marvelous mix of races, and as a community it mixes together in a rather harmonious way. Blacks chat with whites and their children even play together and go to school together with relatively few problems. The southside really hasnt adapted to this, and behaves similar to other suburbs with the whole white flight thing. Frankly, its pretty undeniable that any predominantly black community has a higher crime rate and is generally more dangerous and unkempt than a predominantly white one, and you can see that if you look up a city like, for example, East St Louis vs some suburb of outer boston. However the difference comes from knowing that not all black people are dangerous or to be avoided. Most of them are just really ool laid back people, and osme of them are businessmen and women who are probably more sophisticated than I'll ever be. I tip my hat to those. The problem lies in a smaller minority who want to live the ghetto life and sometiomes go out of their way to embrace it, even though Lafayette doesnt really even have a ghetto. Ive seen youtube vids where they will ride around inner Lafayette acting like it is a really tough neighborhood (theres a golfing park right by the worst parts of town) and gangster wannabes from other large cities post comments about how Lafayette isnt keeping it "real" in the hood. Whatever. Its all a delusion and its because of those exact types of people that racism can even still gain a foothold. but what Ive read about being cautious about inviting a black person into the home, even if they are a professional is pretty stupid in my opinion. Thats where it crosses the line between aknowledging that there is a minority of blacks who cause trouble and avoiding them and avoiding blacks altogether as if they are inferior or dangerous. thats where the misunderstanding must be clarified if we are to move forward as a society.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:34 PM

Another thing. regarding trash, its true that alot of littering happens here. Im not denying that. It isnt nearly enough to call any road a dump, but the problem is that Lafayette doesnt have a high amount of street sweepers or a good enough budget overall to keep the city as clean as you'd like. Ive been to other states, and seen just as much trash on the roadways, especially in Dallas, but the difference is that the trash was picked up sooner. Leftover mardi gras beads and thel ike are usually left hanging around because nobody really seems to mind, and in some cases mostl ikely enjoys being reminded of how much fun they had at mardi gras and the overall laissez faire attitude of the city. In all likelihood, they are probably too drunk to notice in the first place. Besides all of this, it has nothing to do with a lack of pride in the city or caring for environment. the roadway is not an environment anymore it is a means of transportation. anything littering it cannot be any worse than the various fluids and leftover rubber that falls from cars and trucks every hour of the day. We are also not a big wlaking community (for better or worse) so it exacerbates the lack of caring for the roads. they are just a means to get around and not really considered something that should be beautiful. Just ugly asphalt or concrete tributes to the automobile here. Who knows, that could change osmeday I suppose, with stuffl ike the Johnston Street project that aims to make it am uch nicer road, lined with trees and actual sidewalks. Maybe then, people might see it as more than just a street and treat it accordingly.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,017 times
Angry racial hormony

I amazed at all the talk about race,I am African American and served 20 years in the US Military along with plenty other people of color past,present and future. We served to protect all people of this country and many have laid down their life so many can have the life they live, like living in River Ranch.The state of LA is known for many things great, but race relations isn't one of them. There are still many people who fly the US flag that really don't deserve to do so .(
Quote:
You will be the token black person in River Ranch. Everyone will stare. The cops will stop you.

That's the truth about black-skinned people in white neighborhoods in Lafayette. This town had DEEP prejudice, they don't like to admit it AT ALL.

If you are made of tough stuff, move to RR. But, the prejudice goes BOTH WAYS, and you might not like the backlash if you choose to cultivate relationships with people who also have black skin. They might think something is terribly wrong with YOU for wanting to live with the white folks.

I am from Los Angeles. This town called Lafayette has very little clue about racial tolerance from the whites to the blacks and from the blacks to the whites. I'm Caucasian, and have lived & worked and live in the city for three years. I have family here. It's a great life and wonderful people, as long as you don't bring home any black people. And if you are black, don't bring home a white person.

I'm just telling you the real deal. Good luck. Would love to see you driving around in RR. I'd know it was you, Curious G., that's for sure.

skippydoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana