Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,219 times

Advertisements

I moved here in the mid 70's, the ONLY prejudice I have ever seen was economic, if you can afford to live in RR good for you. Hope to see you at City Club working out, I guarantee you will not be the only black person there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
There is prejudice in Lafayette. End of story.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
There is prejudice in Lafayette. End of story.
There is prejudice in every nook and cranny of every city, town, burg and outpost wherever humans exist.

Whether us humans populate Lafayette, or Baton Rouge, San Francisco, Novgorod, Salvador (Bahia) or Harare, the ugly side of our nature will undoubtedly show it's head whenever and wherever the local culture allows or embraces that nature.

I haven't seen any such allowances here in a long time. Does it exist? You are absolutely correct. But is it socially acceptable here? Absolutely not. And this city's history proves that. Too many examples to cite.

Sacalait, keep doing your part. I enjoy all of your posts and learn from them. Just wanted to say my piece as someone married to a beautiful Brazilian immigrant (who came here legally).

And she has become very much involved in the community as a new and proud American.

Last edited by JimLFT; 04-28-2010 at 10:18 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 06:26 PM

108 posts, read 270,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
There is prejudice in every nook and cranny of every city, town, burg and outpost wherever humans exist.

Whether us humans populate Lafayette, or Baton Rouge, San Francisco, Novgorod, Salvador (Bahia) or Harare, the ugly side of our nature will undoubtedly show it's head whenever and wherever the local culture allows or embraces that nature.

I haven't seen any such allowances here in a long time. Does it exist? You are absolutely correct. But is it socially acceptable here? Absolutely not. And this city's history proves that. Too many examples to cite.

Sacalait, keep doing your part. I enjoy all of your posts and learn from them. Just wanted to say my piece as someone married to a beautiful Brazilian immigrant (who came here legally).

And she has become very much involved in the community as a new and proud American.
That is interesting you should say that. I grew up in Louisiana and I tell my husband that I would be hesitant to move back to Louisiana (I am married to a handsome Brazilian ). I have been away for a few years, but I remember dealing with a bit of racism. Although I'm white, most people mistake me for being hispanic, so my husband and I's children would definitely have the darker features. I've heard racism towards black people and I've also dealt with racism myself...people either making comments because they think I'm mixed (half black, half white) or that I am hispanic. It has been a while though...so maybe things have changed.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
That is interesting you should say that. I grew up in Louisiana and I tell my husband that I would be hesitant to move back to Louisiana (I am married to a handsome Brazilian ). I have been away for a few years, but I remember dealing with a bit of racism. Although I'm white, most people mistake me for being hispanic, so my husband and I's children would definitely have the darker features. I've heard racism towards black people and I've also dealt with racism myself...people either making comments because they think I'm mixed (half black, half white) or that I am hispanic. It has been a while though...so maybe things have changed.
Mrs. Carly, it's heartbreaking that you had to endure this, no matter where. But you endured it here, so shame on those abject morons who left that indelible mark in the shape of Lafayette, LA.

As Sacalait mentioned, prejudice exists here. And he's right just as are you.

When I signed up here, it was in reaction to what I considered an unfair indictment of an entire region whose history contradicts some poster's charge of widespread racism. Admittedly, my defense of this area and the home that I love is anecdotal and subjective, but that's pretty much the case for either side of this issue. It's no shock to me that racism can be found and experienced here, but on the macro level in Lafayette? I categorically reject that notion! If this were such a racist area considering the ethnic mixture found here, it would have become Chernobyl long ago!

In any given neighborhood, INCLUDING RIVER RANCH, we mix, network and don't necessarily "look the same".

So, now that we've dispensed with the pleasantries, now to a more serious issue.

How's your Portuguese coming along? After ten years of marriage and hearing it daily, mine has slowly, but surely, well....

Obrigado. Bom Dia, Boa noite, etc. However, I've discovered that the word Desculpe has proven quite beneficial of late (ok, the last nine and three-quarter years).

Mrs. Carly, first I want to extend an open invitation to our home any time your family visits. Please PM me if you all make a visit back here and we can have some fun cooking up a good Louisiana and Brazilian combo. And as I have learned over the years, that combo makes for some legendary dining!

Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM

108 posts, read 270,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
Mrs. Carly, it's heartbreaking that you had to endure this, no matter where. But you endured it here, so shame on those abject morons who left that indelible mark in the shape of Lafayette, LA.

As Sacalait mentioned, prejudice exists here. And he's right just as are you.

When I signed up here, it was in reaction to what I considered an unfair indictment of an entire region whose history contradicts some poster's charge of widespread racism. Admittedly, my defense of this area and the home that I love is anecdotal and subjective, but that's pretty much the case for either side of this issue. It's no shock to me that racism can be found and experienced here, but on the macro level in Lafayette? I categorically reject that notion! If this were such a racist area considering the ethnic mixture found here, it would have become Chernobyl long ago!

In any given neighborhood, INCLUDING RIVER RANCH, we mix, network and don't necessarily "look the same".

So, now that we've dispensed with the pleasantries, now to a more serious issue.

How's your Portuguese coming along? After ten years of marriage and hearing it daily, mine has slowly, but surely, well....

Obrigado. Bom Dia, Boa noite, etc. However, I've discovered that the word Desculpe has proven quite beneficial of late (ok, the last nine and three-quarter years).

Mrs. Carly, first I want to extend an open invitation to our home any time your family visits. Please PM me if you all make a visit back here and we can have some fun cooking up a good Louisiana and Brazilian combo. And as I have learned over the years, that combo makes for some legendary dining!

Thanks for the invite! It'll be a while before I head back to Louisiana. My parents are retired and basically travel the world in their camper, and I just moved to Connecticut for a job offer.

My portuguese isn't coming along very well at all I'm sorry to say. For some reason I just cannot seem to grasp another language (well besides sign language). Maybe I should order a Rosetta stone package

Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
Lafayette is at a crossroads right now.. there are four distinct areas catering to four distinct groups of people. Downtown and the areas bording the Northside are bohemian, catering to college kids, a few hipsters, bohemians, and generally people I consider more "real". This area has the only real old architectural gems in the city. Crime is so-so, nightlife is amazing. You can actually walk places here. I lived there for a year, and loved all the life music, bars, and the ability to smoke up (hehe) on my porch day and night.
The Northside (the Thruway, Louisiana Ave, Moss Street, etc.) is mostly poor and African-American, but many whites and middle-class live there as well. I lived there as well, a totally different experience. Picture single shotgun houses with rusting tin roofs, chickens running in the streets in city limits, a lot of home cookin' places with cheap plate lunches. Oh and zydecho clubs. Rich in culture because of, not in spite of, the hard times.
Central Lafayette, as well as random outstreched subdivisions, is "snooty". Non-desrcipt ranch houses line subdivisions. Crime is vritually non-existant, but so is diversity. You have pathetic modern attempts at ripping off New Orleans style architecture as well (i.e. River Ranch). This area seems to sadly be the future of most of the unused land in the parish. If you want to live amongst open-minded people or love the night life, don't move here! A lot of what has been said earlier by people is reflective of this area. I refused to ever live there my 5 year Lafayette college experience.
The rest of the parish is mostly rural. This is by far a "time warp"; you will see a broad cross segment of classes and races living here. By far the slowest pace and the friendliest people. Crime is minimal. This area is sure to gradually shrink as the subdivisions and planned community garbage move in. All in all, Lafayette has something for everyone. You just need to do your homework. And Maybe I was too harsh on the new part, I'm sure a lot of people would find good things about it, but it wasn't for me

Last edited by aab7855; 07-12-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: incomplete

Old 07-13-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
All in all, Lafayette has something for everyone. You just need to do your homework. And Maybe I was too harsh on the new part, I'm sure a lot of people would find good things about it, but it wasn't for me
Very nice finish.

One observation I will add is that even in the rural areas of the parish, you see a relatively high population density. In our local culture, it is far more desirous to have at least a few acres of land, maybe with a fishing pond, etc., than living in some sprawling new spam can development with a home owner's association telling you just how tall your grass can be. Trust me. I live in one now. People here love county living, myself included. One day, I hope to join in with all those good folks out in the parish living under their own rules. But this tiny parish is rapidly running out of acreage.

My local employment as a corporate pilot gives me (literally) a point of view that probably best illustrates where people live.

Lights.

When I'm arriving at night into Lafayette from the west, the rapidly increasing density of lights (event horizon, so to speak) starts just west of Crowley. If I'm arriving from the southeast from New Orleans, it begins about the midway point between Jeanerette and New Iberia. From the north, Opelousas. From the east, Breaux Bridge. From the southwest, Kaplan/Abbeville.

In fact, were it not for that black hole of a swamp between LFT and St. Martin Parish, our airport would be very difficult to find under visual rules.

One night I was flying in from South Bend, IN pretty high up in the flight levels. It was a crystal clear night somewhere over Arkansas, and I swear that I could identify every major Louisiana metro all lit up ahead.

Shreveport/Bossier certainly was evident, but looking much farther down the horizon were the unmistakable presences of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and yes, Lafayette/Acadiana. All massive areas of light, the most surprising, of course being the Acadiana region. Monroe, Alexandria and Lake Charles were visible, but held little comparison to the top four.

Night flying truly does tell the story of an area's population.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:38 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Lafayette is at a crossroads right now.. there are four distinct areas catering to four distinct groups of people. Downtown and the areas bording the Northside are bohemian, catering to college kids, a few hipsters, bohemians, and generally people I consider more "real". This area has the only real old architectural gems in the city. Crime is so-so, nightlife is amazing. You can actually walk places here. I lived there for a year, and loved all the life music, bars, and the ability to smoke up (hehe) on my porch day and night.
The Northside (the Thruway, Louisiana Ave, Moss Street, etc.) is mostly poor and African-American, but many whites and middle-class live there as well. I lived there as well, a totally different experience. Picture single shotgun houses with rusting tin roofs, chickens running in the streets in city limits, a lot of home cookin' places with cheap plate lunches. Oh and zydecho clubs. Rich in culture because of, not in spite of, the hard times.
Central Lafayette, as well as random outstreched subdivisions, is "snooty". Non-desrcipt ranch houses line subdivisions. Crime is vritually non-existant, but so is diversity. You have pathetic modern attempts at ripping off New Orleans style architecture as well (i.e. River Ranch). This area seems to sadly be the future of most of the unused land in the parish. If you want to live amongst open-minded people or love the night life, don't move here! A lot of what has been said earlier by people is reflective of this area. I refused to ever live there my 5 year Lafayette college experience.
The rest of the parish is mostly rural. This is by far a "time warp"; you will see a broad cross segment of classes and races living here. By far the slowest pace and the friendliest people. Crime is minimal. This area is sure to gradually shrink as the subdivisions and planned community garbage move in. All in all, Lafayette has something for everyone. You just need to do your homework. And Maybe I was too harsh on the new part, I'm sure a lot of people would find good things about it, but it wasn't for me
Personally I thought the RR neighborhood was nice. To me the nicest parts were the tree lined streets w/ the townhomes and those cottage style homes that I saw. I'd like to get out my car and explore next time I ride through there. I think almost every city in LA has tried to copy N.O. to a certain extent though.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
My parents live on the northside near carencro in a 2800 sq ft home. Not exactly poverty. Still, the area is generally middle class and lower. Crimewise I experienced very little crime in the 20 years I lived in the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana