U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 14,954 times

Advertisements

River Ranch is a planned community. It's actually trying to mimic the freetown/downtown area and it's proximity to shopping and entertainment. However it stops at the overly done facade. The people I've met and interacted with....well....snooty is a kind word to describe them. The prices there are stupid, mostly to keep the undesirable elements out of their development. I'm white and I wouldn't live there if you gave me the house and paid me to live there. Stepford people in a stepford development....avoid at all costs. Freetown/downtown is where it's at. Racist? well hell, that exists everywhere. There are virulent racists everywhere. But that doesn't mean that they or their views permeate the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,991,698 times
Yuppies live in River Ranch. That isn't the real Lafayette.

Neuvoriche. Old money would'nt move there. Those are all yuppies looking at each other waiting for something of substance to occur. It is Fakeville. The end.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM

431 posts, read 963,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofboards View Post
River Ranch is a planned community. It's actually trying to mimic the freetown/downtown area and it's proximity to shopping and entertainment. However it stops at the overly done facade. The people I've met and interacted with....well....snooty is a kind word to describe them. The prices there are stupid, mostly to keep the undesirable elements out of their development. I'm white and I wouldn't live there if you gave me the house and paid me to live there. Stepford people in a stepford development....avoid at all costs. Freetown/downtown is where it's at. Racist? well hell, that exists everywhere. There are virulent racists everywhere. But that doesn't mean that they or their views permeate the area.
Not my type of place to live either, but I think you'd agree that we shouldn't begrudge people from making personal choices as to the type of neighborhood they want to reside and raise their family. I know that was not your intent, but Stepford? lol

Of the few residents of River Ranch that I actually know pretty well, they are all fiercely independent folks, hard driven and self starters who grew up in modest environs. Probably just had a dream and suddenly found themselves making some decent money (good call Sacalait). But I'd venture a guess that each one of them exerted lots of old-fashioned hard work, sweat and ingenuity in the process.

Good for them.

Yet, I can't help reminding them that they could have had twice or thrice the house just about anywhere else in Lafayette Parish.

But I never met any Stepford robots in RR thus far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Neuvoriche.
Hey, don't knock it! I bust my butt every freaking day hoping to join the nouveau riche club one day!

Last edited by JimLFT; 08-06-2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 02:05 AM

2,878 posts, read 2,602,552 times
It actually reminded me of a cross between a golf community and a historic district.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:

RR can't possibly be THAT bad can it? I thought it was a nice area, though it being my first time in the neighborhood, I was hesitant to get out my car. Being a dark skinned black guy, I felt that I'd stick out like a sore thumb. While it was nice, loved the garden district style homes and those cottages, but there were some other homes that reminded me of being in Graywood in my own hometown.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
RR can't possibly be THAT bad can it? I thought it was a nice area, though it being my first time in the neighborhood, I was hesitant to get out my car. Being a dark skinned black guy, I felt that I'd stick out like a sore thumb. While it was nice, loved the garden district style homes and those cottages, but there were some other homes that reminded me of being in Graywood in my own hometown.
It's a very nice place in many regards, but to me would seem like living in a theme park. Not knocking it at all, but is not for me in the least. I'd prefer to build somewhere on some acreage with my nearest neighbor being at least a football field away, a fishing hole and some room to grow stuff. But, that's just me.

Only problem with that is I've become hopelessly addicted to my LUS Fiber 50MB internet bandwidth. I have my own web server here at the house that hosts my family website and Exchange email accounts for family members, which are very photo and video intensive (as you can probably imagine), so bandwidth is a nice asset. That would go away with a move out of the Lafayette city limits.

Pandora, let me know when you visit again. I'll buy you and your brother lunch somewhere in RR. Lot's of choices, so we can have that argument when the time comes.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:17 PM

4 posts, read 14,954 times
Okay, I'm a bit harsh. How's this for a descriptor of RR? it reminds me of Disneyland/Disneyworld. The whole development reminds me of a theme park....and a bad one at that.....I've been to a couple of their concert events....which they hold on Thursday since they know if they did it on Fridays Downtown Alive would kill them....and the crowds are just...ugh...fake fake fake....I'd rather be downtown with the best of Lafayette ripping it up on a Friday ...... Does it look nice? well I dig the nod to french/carribean architecture....but the proximity of the neighbors....plus I've heard from more than a few of the servicemen that work in the neighborhood that a lot of the homes are poorly constructed.....also that most are under-furnished since their owners are mortgaged to the hilt and can't afford furniture for their digs....I'll admit the last two statements are secondhand...but don't surprise me in the least....

Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
....plus I've heard from more than a few of the servicemen that work in the neighborhood that a lot of the homes are poorly constructed.....also that most are under-furnished since their owners are mortgaged to the hilt and can't afford furniture for their digs....I'll admit the last two statements are secondhand...but don't surprise me in the least....
That wouldn't surprise me one bit either.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Okay, I'm a bit harsh. How's this for a descriptor of RR? it reminds me of Disneyland/Disneyworld. The whole development reminds me of a theme park....and a bad one at that.....I've been to a couple of their concert events What kind of concert events do they hold?....which they hold on Thursday since they know if they did it on Fridays Downtown Alive would kill them....and the crowds are just...ugh...fake fake fake....I'd rather be downtown with the best of Lafayette ripping it up on a Friday ...... Does it look nice? well I dig the nod to french/carribean architecture....but the proximity of the neighbors..That seems to be a thing with newer neighborhoods today, the homes are just too close together, you could shake your neighbors hand just by putting your hand out the window, however, most of them don't know their neighboors(sad considering how close they are together, literally)..plus I've heard from more than a few of the servicemen that work in the neighborhood that a lot of the homes are poorly constructed.....also that most are under-furnished since their owners are mortgaged to the hilt and can't afford furniture for their digs....I'll admit the last two statements are secondhand...but don't surprise me in the least....
Quote:
.plus I've heard from more than a few of the servicemen that work in the neighborhood that a lot of the homes are poorly constructed
I've heard that also, they may be nice, but they durability is awful(quote from an ealier posts), the following , post, a woman mentioned a sons ex-gf having issues such as leaking plumbing and doors not shutting.

Quote:
I'd prefer to build somewhere on some acreage with my nearest neighbor being at least a football field away, a fishing hole and some room to grow stuff. But, that's just me.
you may have to have a custom home built by the Louisiana Par Homes group OR live out in the country.

Quote:
Pandora, let me know when you visit again. I'll buy you and your brother lunch somewhere in RR. Lot's of choices, so we can have that argument when the time comes.
Aww Thanks I'll hold you to that.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 08-08-2010 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: needed to add two more quotes from a different user.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,678,038 times
shopping in RR isnt a bad experience in itself, but I wouldnt personally live there for some of the above reasons.
I have heard stories also about families being under so much debt, a massive paycheck is barely enough to cover it. Not how Id want to live my life.
As for the poor construction, my Aunt lives nearby down Kaliste Saloom and her home was definitely poorly constructed despite costing over 400k, as are many new homes in the area (by new Im talking about as far back as ten years ago). Similar problems popped up post Katrina in New Orleans, as evidenced by the chinese drywall problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana