U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:31 PM

39 posts, read 102,374 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm thinking of relocating to Lafayette from the Northeast. I will be in healthcare and will make enough money to rent a 1-2 bedroom apt in the river ranch apartments since they seem like "normal enough" prices to me coming from the NE, though I understand they are on the expensive side for Lafayette.

I was only in Lafayette for a day interviewing. I drove around a bit and happened on River Ranch and it seemed like a nice place. I didn't actually walk around though. However, I "met" a woman online who told me that River ranch was snooty. I think she's alluding to being African-American and having white neighbours who are rude to you.

I'm not African-American but I am a foreigner who is black. I've lived long enough in the NE to deal with the type of racism here and I'm not quite sure what to expect in Lafayette from that standpoint...especially since people here seem to indicate that racism only occurs in the southern states.

I'm single, late-twenties, mix well with other ethnicities/religions in terms of friends, dating, etc. and just don't want to feel uncomfortable/unwelcome in my surroundings.

So, do you think River Ranch is snooty? Is Lafayette snooty? Are there other similar apartment complexes (or condos for rent - not buying at the moment) where the residents are more welcoming to those of us that are OTHER? Would I be frowned upon if I happen to mingle socially/romantically with white folks (that is if said white folks want to mingle with me)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM

887 posts, read 2,709,370 times
I would say that River Ranch is pretty normal middle-class apartment complex. I'm sure you only have people saying it is snoody because of the relatively high price on the complex compared to similar units in Laffy. Not because its a poor place, just cheaper housing in Lafayette. Also, this snoodyness may arise from the single-family housing which is just terribly priced and you're only paying for location. I believe any perceived snoodyness will come from the other person's lack of wealth when compared to someone else.

Lafayette is a fairly progressive town-- I honestly believe you won't have any problems there!

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 94,245 times
You will be the token black person in River Ranch. Everyone will stare. The cops will stop you.

That's the truth about black-skinned people in white neighborhoods in Lafayette. This town had DEEP prejudice, they don't like to admit it AT ALL.

If you are made of tough stuff, move to RR. But, the prejudice goes BOTH WAYS, and you might not like the backlash if you choose to cultivate relationships with people who also have black skin. They might think something is terribly wrong with YOU for wanting to live with the white folks.

I am from Los Angeles. This town called Lafayette has very little clue about racial tolerance from the whites to the blacks and from the blacks to the whites. I'm Caucasian, and have lived & worked and live in the city for three years. I have family here. It's a great life and wonderful people, as long as you don't bring home any black people. And if you are black, don't bring home a white person.

I'm just telling you the real deal. Good luck. Would love to see you driving around in RR. I'd know it was you, Curious G., that's for sure.

skippydoo

Old 04-04-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo View Post
You will be the token black person in River Ranch. Everyone will stare. The cops will stop you.

That's the truth about black-skinned people in white neighborhoods in Lafayette. This town had DEEP prejudice, they don't like to admit it AT ALL.

If you are made of tough stuff, move to RR. But, the prejudice goes BOTH WAYS, and you might not like the backlash if you choose to cultivate relationships with people who also have black skin. They might think something is terribly wrong with YOU for wanting to live with the white folks.

I am from Los Angeles. This town called Lafayette has very little clue about racial tolerance from the whites to the blacks and from the blacks to the whites. I'm Caucasian, and have lived & worked and live in the city for three years. I have family here. It's a great life and wonderful people, as long as you don't bring home any black people. And if you are black, don't bring home a white person.

I'm just telling you the real deal. Good luck. Would love to see you driving around in RR. I'd know it was you, Curious G., that's for sure.

skippydoo
Moderator cut: personal comment Lafayette and South Louisiana are much more accepting to blacks than Los Angeles. Black and white relations really couldn't be better. Yes, I'm white, but I also have black friends all over the state. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but I highly doubt that the OP will have a bad experience at River Ranch.

Last edited by leorah; 04-04-2009 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: unwarranted personal comment

Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 PM

Okay. I guess I will have to get into it.

At my former place of employment: If a white person asks to use our restroom in back, you can say yes. If a black person asks, I was supposed to say."No, we have no public toilets." I disobeyed, and I was forced to clean the bathroom after that "dirty N-------r." I was not in the janitorial services. I was a manager.

Where is this store? It's been on West Congress for 20 years, highly reputable, owner is pillar of the community.

Siitting in a bar, two black guys come in and rack up the balls on the pool table. The people at the bar start grumbling about the "darkness" of the crowd, and some actually LEAVE. The guy next to me goes on and on about these guys, saying they are casing the joint and looking for cameras and alarms. I say ONE THING ONLY, "They are JUST PEOPLE, man, shut up already." I get told to get my ass back to California with the other N-Lovers. To this day, I see that guy all over the place, and I refuse to acknowlege him.

Another night club, different night. I am alone. A drink arrives via the bartender, who points out that a black guy at the bar sent it over. I look over and say, Thanks~ and I noticeThe WHOLE PLACE is looking at me. The bartender asks me if I want to drink it (huh? I've never been asked that before ), I said well of course. Eveeryone who was anywhere near me that was talking to me ups and moves away from me like I have some sort of contagious disease. I was so upset by the ordeal, I left. I didn't want to spend my money in a place like that, and I never went back.

Lady I know who worked in a plant. She was black. She was called Buckwheat to her face every day. No one even knows her real name. When she died, no one could send flowers because no one knew her real name to find funeral home was handling the arrangements.

And that is just a HANDFUL. I never, ever saw anything like that in LA, California. We never ever used the N-word. I only heard that kind of talk on TV. Racial issues do exist there, but they are NOT socially acceptable as they are here. That is my perspective, as someone who was not raised in this culture and who sees it for what it is. Like I said, people here don't like to admit it, and certainly won't stand up against it. It is often completely socially acceptable.

Skippydoo

Old 04-04-2009, 10:57 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,681,270 times
that seems different from my personal experiences from living on the Northside. racism was never that prevalent. Im sure it exists to a degree but its pretty much just the way things are. But its like that everywhere.
LA is just as bad as any city about it. You will always have one group that hates another simply because theyre different. Its human nature.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 PM

All I have to say to that is... Really? What kind of world did you find in Lafayette?

I've had my share of night clubs and bars and stores and never seen anything like that-- and this is in North Louisiana, which is considered to be Old South.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:12 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,681,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
All I have to say to that is... Really? What kind of world did you find in Lafayette?

I've had my share of night clubs and bars and stores and never seen anything like that-- and this is in North Louisiana, which is considered to be Old South.
Ive been to bars at night, with black people and all. Never encountered that sort of thing before. I dont doubt that very racist people are in Lafayette and Im pretty sure there are, but I highly doubt this guy will have many problems.
Especially if he isnt trashy or suspicious. I think people in the south are generally on edge for many reasons and racism is basically an way of acting out about something they dont really understand.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:16 PM

Also, in the South, when natural conflicts between a white person and a black person arises, many of the insults will be about the black person's past and such, perhaps more so that in the North. I think that every place has racist people and I think Lafayette and less than many places.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:19 AM

Like I said - I am not from here, but I have been here three years. I have a different vantage point. However, Curious G is asking a serious question, and I'm offering the HONEST info he/she is seeking about tolerance in Lafayette. It is not as impressive as a native might think.

I love the way people always throw qualifiers like, it's ok if you "are not trashy"you will be more accepted and "that's just the way it is".

On the surface, maybe, if you meet the white people's elusive criteria of not being "trashy", you won't be overtly discriminated against. But barely scratch that surface, like,actually expect meaningful social interaction with white people here, and you are living in LA-LA land. White people here DO NOT MIX with blacks, and that is the absolute truth. Too bad everyone is too admit it. It is shameful, but you have to admit it before you can excise it. It IS NOT like that everywhere.

Great - So,Lafayette is not as bad as some places. But not so great, because it's pretty darn bad just the same.

There is a time and a place for black people to be ok co-existing with folks here. A Little Drinking bar at 5 pm on the edge of the the city, and you are taking a significant risk that you experience at least SOME overt prejudice.

11:30 a bigger club like Grahams Central Station, OK, up to a point. A few are "ok". Send in ten black people at one, and you'd see WHITE FLIGHT, as well as red and blue flashing lights.

Skip

Last edited by skippydoo; 04-06-2009 at 05:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana