U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:28 AM

425 posts, read 1,302,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Let's all just be thankful that the southern states are the Red states. It's about time for another secession.
Yeah, because in a representative democracy you should certainly "take your ball and go home" when things don't go your way.

Since the South is still recovering from the last secession, I think the southern states should take their money and live with the current administration. I'm sure there are a lot of democrats in the southern states that are pretty happy with the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:09 AM

24 posts, read 46,928 times
do you realize south is down on the map? I dont' understand why FL. is not considered south. Yes, we were inundated with yanks, but there are still Fl. natives. Our ancestors were the original florida crackers riding the trails. Our beef industry is huge. We still hold our southern values, God, family, country. We still hunt and fish and enjoy the outdoors, and a lot of us still practice good manners and hospitality. We love sweet tea and oak trees and porch swings. Just becuase our state is over run with northerners, dont' forget us southerners. The state itself is still south on the map, and the original florida crackers have not, and will not be, run over by northerners-you can't knock us down!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:13 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,978,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abayle View Post
do you realize south is down on the map? I dont' understand why FL. is not considered south. Yes, we were inundated with yanks, but there are still Fl. natives. Our ancestors were the original florida crackers riding the trails. Our beef industry is huge. We still hold our southern values, God, family, country. We still hunt and fish and enjoy the outdoors, and a lot of us still practice good manners and hospitality. We love sweet tea and oak trees and porch swings. Just becuase our state is over run with northerners, dont' forget us southerners. The state itself is still south on the map, and the original florida crackers have not, and will not be, run over by northerners-you can't knock us down!
I think of Florida as "Southern" until you leave Gainesville going south.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:39 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,825,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post

BLUE - TRUE SOUTH
LIGHT BLUE - QUASI-SOUTH
RED - CAJUN COUNTRY (more truth south)

Put a blue dot over Fayetteville,AR. Also, light blue stripes around KY and TN, which are not really as southern as the rest of the map.

I know its a bad map.
Yes, it's a little biased. I noticed you jumped over all of southern WV, which is very funny. People don't live according to state lines, they live regionally and western VA, eastern KY and southern WV is a region.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:12 PM

27 posts, read 134,140 times
You'd have to divide it into the Deep South and the northern South, I think. The Deep South... Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida... are warmer and more laid back. These are the first states that come to mind when people think of the South. Many people mistakenly think that Texas is part of the South. While Texas was a part of the Confederacy, is NOT a Southern state! It is a Southwestern state, and it's culture reflects that...Tex-Mex, ranches, cowboys, western clothes, etc.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM

18 posts, read 56,254 times
South of I-10. Anything north of that and you're a Yankee

Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy View Post
South of I-10. Anything north of that and you're a Yankee
And yet, Shreveport was the last stronghold of the Confederacy? There's a memorial in front of the downtown Shreveport courthouse that marks the place where the last Confederate flag in the entire Confederacy was lowered...odd for a "Yankee" city...

And let's not forget...the Cajuns deserted the Confederate army in droves! I've always thought it odd that South Louisiana calls us "Yankees" while North Louisiana was more Confederate than South Louisiana ever was!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 AM

18 posts, read 56,254 times
Simmer down, Beau. The wink meant it was a joke.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy View Post
Simmer down, Beau. The wink meant it was a joke.
I know, I know...it's just that we get so tired of hearing that! Sorry if I sounded overly defensive...

Old 05-05-2009, 10:20 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,504,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau99 View Post
You'd have to divide it into the Deep South and the northern South, I think. The Deep South... Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida... are warmer and more laid back. These are the first states that come to mind when people think of the South. Many people mistakenly think that Texas is part of the South. While Texas was a part of the Confederacy, is NOT a Southern state! It is a Southwestern state, and it's culture reflects that...Tex-Mex, ranches, cowboys, western clothes, etc.
Surprised I missed this thread! LOL

But Beau99, Texas is not a "Southwestern" state if by that term ones mean regional classification with New Mexico and Arizona. If it is translated as (as originally meant) "western South", then yes, there is a lot to it as concerns Texas. That is to say, where traditional Southern history and culture are blended with many aspects of the post-bellum frontier west. This is a whole different critter from being "western" in the sense of having much in common with the Rocky Mountain or Interior SW states.

Just take the cowboy example. The prototype of the original Texas cowboy was a direct decendent of the Old South cattle droving tradition. Not the Mexican vaquero of the true SW. Also, via Hollywood "western" movies, the cowboy and ranching tradition -- while very real certainly -- was not the typical lifestyle of most Texans. Cotton was king in Texas and a living which wrapped around it for most folks was much more extensive than ranching.

Texas is essentially a Southern state. Not a typical Southern state, of course. But having much more in common with the southeast than the true Southwest or West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana