U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:46 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,069,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Texas is essentially a Southern state. Not a typical Southern state, of course. But having much more in common with the southeast than the true Southwest or West.

There are no typical southern states, as best I can tell. I've lived nearly all of my life in Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia and Louisiana where there are distinctly different customs, geography and whatever other yardstick you'd want to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,513,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
There are no typical southern states, as best I can tell. I've lived nearly all of my life in Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia and Louisiana where there are distinctly different customs, geography and whatever other yardstick you'd want to consider.
That's my point concerning Texas. I should have qualified "typical Southern state" with "(whatever one means by that)". Oversight on my part.

The South has never been a monolithic region. Rather, it is one bonded by certain commonalities of history and culture. And perhaps, most important of all, attitudes, and a self-identification with the South and being "Southern."

There was a very interesting study -- spanning 7 years -- where the intent was to "find the South" by where a majority of residents said they lived in the South and considered themselves Southerners. Here were the results:

Percent who say their community is in the South (percentage base in parentheses)

Alabama 98 (717) South Carolina 98 (553) Louisiana 97 (606) Mississippi 97 (431) Georgia 97 (1017) Tennessee 97 (838) North Carolina 93 (1292) Arkansas 92 (400) Florida 90 (1792) Texas 84 (2050) Virginia 82 (1014) Kentucky 79 (582) Oklahoma 69 (411)

West Virginia 45 (82) Maryland 40 (173) Missouri 23 (177) Delaware 14 (21) D.C. 7 (15)

Percent who say they are Southerners (percentage base in parentheses)

Mississippi 90 (432) Louisiana 89 (606) Alabama 88 (716) Tennessee 84 (838) South Carolina 82 (553) Arkansas 81 (399) Georgia 81 (1017) North Carolina 80 (1290) Texas 68 (2053) Kentucky 68 (584) Virginia 60 (1012) Oklahoma 53 (410) Florida 51 (1791)

West Virginia 25 (84) Maryland 19 (192) Missouri 15 (197)

Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,835,617 times
Man I always hate this because I'm from Missouri and I've always considerd myself southern.I have a very hard time getting along with people from the North,just really don't like their ways.

If you want to consider the South the Confederacy.My ancestors owned Slaves and fought hard for the Confederacy just as many others did from Missouri.

hillman

Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
I have a very hard time getting along with people from the North,just really don't like their ways.

hillman
I was born in Pennsylvania, but my family moved around because my dad was in the military. I didn't think, though, that I could associate my ability to get along with people on an area of the country, but, come to think of it there may be some connection between demographics and geographic location. That, in turn, might have something to do with climate. Worth looking into; thanks.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I was born in Pennsylvania, but my family moved around because my dad was in the military. I didn't think, though, that I could associate my ability to get along with people on an area of the country, but, come to think of it there may be some connection between demographics and geographic location. That, in turn, might have something to do with climate. Worth looking into; thanks.
Just the way things seem.Me and some Guys went to NYC,there was a Bar there that the Guys wanted to go to but there was a Dress Code.I told the Guys put their best on and we'll see what happens.But don't expect the Girls to party like Southern Girls.We went had a good time.But we went to a Restaurant afterwards,some Guy picked a fight with me because of my accent.But my accent woked for me one time in Vermount.Girl just Loved it

Got up there one time.They didn't have any country music on the Radio,so I played Country over the Airwaves half the night

I shouldn't really say I don't get along with them.I've had some good times where ever I've been,just they don't seem to want to be as rowdy,looking for a Good time doing some drinking,dancing and BBQ.

When I lived in Louisiana got along with everyone.But like my Father in Law said I have a very Southern name and dark complected Kids I should have got along with everyone.But he also had a few things to say about my French ancestry that I won't get into.

hillman

Old 05-06-2009, 04:27 PM

425 posts, read 1,303,136 times
Quote:
Just the way things seem.Me and some Guys went to NYC,there was a Bar there that the Guys wanted to go to but there was a Dress Code.I told the Guys put their best on and we'll see what happens.But don't expect the Girls to party like Southern Girls.We went had a good time.But we went to a Restaurant afterwards,some Guy picked a fight with me because of my accent.But my accent woked for me one time in Vermount.Girl just Loved it

Got up there one time.They didn't have any country music on the Radio,so I played Country over the Airwaves half the night

I shouldn't really say I don't get along with them.I've had some good times where ever I've been,just they don't seem to want to be as rowdy,looking for a Good time doing some drinking,dancing and BBQ.

When I lived in Louisiana got along with everyone.But like my Father in Law said I have a very Southern name and dark complected Kids I should have got along with everyone.But he also had a few things to say about my French ancestry that I won't get into.

hillman
I have yet to meet anyone at a bar or restaurant in Chicago who has been anything but nice. I also had the same experience in Buffalo. The thing is, people in the north will return whatever vibes you send out. For example, Saturday night I was at a bar watching the Bulls-Celtics game. After the game was over, a couple friends and I were talking to a guy, and it came out that he was visiting from St. Louis. If you know anything about baseball rivalries, you know that people on the north side of Chicago have a certain contempt for St. Louis residents. But the dude was cool, didn't spend the entire conversation trying to convert new Cardinals fans, and as a result we all partied and bar-hopped til 4:00 a.m.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
I have yet to meet anyone at a bar or restaurant in Chicago who has been anything but nice. I also had the same experience in Buffalo. The thing is, people in the north will return whatever vibes you send out. For example, Saturday night I was at a bar watching the Bulls-Celtics game. After the game was over, a couple friends and I were talking to a guy, and it came out that he was visiting from St. Louis. If you know anything about baseball rivalries, you know that people on the north side of Chicago have a certain contempt for St. Louis residents. But the dude was cool, didn't spend the entire conversation trying to convert new Cardinals fans, and as a result we all partied and bar-hopped til 4:00 a.m.
Thats funny I worked for a Guy from Arkansas.We was in Chicago he was scared to death,said people there were nothing but scum.I had some things to take care of in town.He kept insisting he go along for protection Told him I didn't need it.

But he was little on the nutty side.I stopped one time to help a Black Man.He fired me on the spot.Thing is it was a good paying Job.

I don't know what it is but to me people up there aren't the same .

hillman

Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 AM

425 posts, read 1,303,136 times
Quote:
Thats funny I worked for a Guy from Arkansas.We was in Chicago he was scared to death,said people there were nothing but scum.I had some things to take care of in town.He kept insisting he go along for protection Told him I didn't need it.

But he was little on the nutty side.I stopped one time to help a Black Man.He fired me on the spot.Thing is it was a good paying Job.

I don't know what it is but to me people up there aren't the same .

hillman
Then your friend is completely irrational and probably doesn't feel safe in his own bedroom. There is nothing that you, I, or anyone else can do for him.

I feel safer in Chicago than I ever did in Shreveport, and probably safer here than in Austin.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 PM

887 posts, read 2,708,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post

I feel safer in Chicago than I ever did in Shreveport.
As much as I try to defend this state.. I must say that this true.. I've personally have had hell of a good time in both the North and the South.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:30 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,178,754 times
I have never been up north really. I have been to Indiana. So sad but true.
In all honesty though I think I will stay South. Weather up north is to cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana