Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:29 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Those of us in Louisiana know the state is a little more diverse than merely being "Deep South." So I would propose making two changes: (1) Carve out a new region for Cajun Country, (3) Carve out a new region for the NO Metro area;
I agree! But overall, I think that both maps are well made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 01:29 PM

947 posts, read 2,398,565 times
Ok question how do you determine what is south not looking at maps! Is it the people or the land or history? How do you decide?? To me no matter what yall say or what maps show I am a southerner born and raised!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,102 times
I think it is a combination of the people, the land, the history, customs, and culture. Unfortunately, I don't currently live in the south, but I'm originally from central Louisiana.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 AM

63 posts, read 279,519 times
Hello???? It doesnt' get much farther south than FL. I am a native florididan-not a transplant one. Me (and my ancestors from way back) are southern!!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:00 AM

413 posts, read 1,368,166 times
I am tired of how people say Florida isn't part of the South. FYI people in Florida have Southern accents if you don't hear one than they are transplants or you are in Miami. I think it is a snob thing about who is and who isn't Southern. Florida may not have been as populated as say Georgia etc back in the day but they were settled by Southerners. I have a friend whose family has been in the South for generations and they settled in Florida way before the Civil War. There is more to Florida besides Miami.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:23 AM

285 posts, read 616,085 times
Historically, the "South" consists of those states that made up the Confederate States of America:

Virginia
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas
Florida
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas

But people and places change...I can't think of ANY large city or metropolitan area that I would classify as "southern" any more...too many transplants, snowbirds, and travelers. Most of Virginia is just an outpost of D.C. now. Texas has always been more "western" in outlook and attitude than "southern." To me, Georgia, Louisiana (except for Nawleans), Arkansas, parts of Florida (NOT Miami), Mississippi, Alabama, and the Carolina's will always be The South.

"Southern" is a state of mind that is a mix of customs, attitude and belief.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 AM

947 posts, read 2,398,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyrhydyr View Post
Historically, the "South" consists of those states that made up the Confederate States of America:

Virginia
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas
Florida
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas

But people and places change...I can't think of ANY large city or metropolitan area that I would classify as "southern" any more...too many transplants, snowbirds, and travelers. Most of Virginia is just an outpost of D.C. now. Texas has always been more "western" in outlook and attitude than "southern." To me, Georgia, Louisiana (except for Nawleans), Arkansas, parts of Florida (NOT Miami), Mississippi, Alabama, and the Carolina's will always be The South.

"Southern" is a state of mind that is a mix of customs, attitude and belief.
There you go girl! Tell em

Old 04-11-2009, 04:21 AM

18 posts, read 80,400 times
I think the south is defined as Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and Texas. I am not so sure at all about Kentucky and Virgina.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:09 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times

BLUE - TRUE SOUTH
LIGHT BLUE - QUASI-SOUTH
RED - CAJUN COUNTRY (more truth south)

Put a blue dot over Fayetteville,AR. Also, light blue stripes around KY and TN, which are not really as southern as the rest of the map.

I know its a bad map.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Let's all just be thankful that the southern states are the Red states. It's about time for another secession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana