U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:42 PM

177 posts, read 736,651 times

Advertisements

Probably the next most common language to English is Spanish. The hispanic community has blossomed, especially in south LA. after Katrina If you're interested in learning for cultural reasons go with Cajun French but if you want to talk to people using the next most common language learn Spanish. You'll find far more people in everyday life who speak Spanish - for example at the local Home Depot. If you want to find people who speak Cajun French you'll have to go looking for them down the bayou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 PM

4 posts, read 14,818 times
From my personal experience I can say while in Paris I got by considerably well speaking Cajun French as well as understanding Parisian french although I had to speak slowwlyyyy to be understood LOL. The Cajun French language seems to making a comeback. My grandchildren who are in elementary school are taught all subjects in Cajun French, with exception of the English of course.

Also, the differences between Creoles and Cajuns lies in the heritage between the two. Cajuns are descendants of those French immigrants who settled in the Provinces of Canada while Creoles are descendants of French and Spanish settlers.

Best of luck to you Jody!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:06 AM

211 posts, read 502,984 times
I think what they're doing in the Lafayette Parish Schools (and in the schools of neighboring parishes) to strengthen the position of French and deepen Acadiana's bi-lingualism is fantastic.

I'm a teacher and French was my university major. I'm not from Louisiana and I have no Cajun ancestry, but I plan to move to Lafayette to teach in an immersion school to do what I can to facilitate and support this initiative. I really think it's amazing.

I'm glad to hear your grandchildren are enjoying their immersion experiences.

Scott

Old 04-19-2009, 07:44 AM

65 posts, read 356,792 times
A friend of mine recommended the following, " A Dictionary of the Cajun Language" by a Msgr. Daigle, published by the Swallow Press in 1984. This is written by a Catholic priest from Welsh, La. As far as diving into the Cajun language this would be a good start.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 14,818 times
The dictionary would be a great start.
Msgr. Daigle is also the author of "Cajun Self-Taught: Learning to Speak the Cajun" which is available on audio CD as well as hardcover.

You may find this website helpful: www.codofil.org

Last edited by Susan2334; 04-19-2009 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: addendum

Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,024,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan2334 View Post
From my personal experience I can say while in Paris I got by considerably well speaking Cajun French as well as understanding Parisian french although I had to speak slowwlyyyy to be understood LOL. The Cajun French language seems to making a comeback. My grandchildren who are in elementary school are taught all subjects in Cajun French, with exception of the English of course.

Also, the differences between Creoles and Cajuns lies in the heritage between the two. Cajuns are descendants of those French immigrants who settled in the Provinces of Canada while Creoles are descendants of French and Spanish settlers.

Best of luck to you Jody!
That's fantastic. I had no idea that many people even still spoke Cajun French anymore. Glad to hear otherwise.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:42 PM

27 posts, read 134,173 times
You're actually correct! Cajun French is very OLD French! Being so far removed from France and the rest of the world for so long, their version of French didn't change with the rest. I can say this though...I speak fluent French and can communicate with the Cajuns just fine. You simply have to adjust to their accent and learn some of their words which are different than in standard French of today...and true, get used to their poor use of French grammar at times...but that's the same among English-speakers as well! I met a lady once who was from a small town in Scotland and I honestly thought she was speaking a foreign language! Someone had to tell me that she was speaking ENGLISH! I could hardly understand a word she was saying until I began to get used to the way she spoke! So my advice is this...learn standard French and then get used to the way Cajuns use and speak it. You'll be talking with them in no time at all...I did!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,799,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
One time I recall my late grandmother telling me a friend of hers from France, who was a WW1 bride, trying to have a conversation with a Cajun and couldn't understand much (neither could the Cajun lady). So I'm sure much of Cajun French kind of left off in the 18th century what was spoken in France at the time and since then, the French language has probably somewhat evolved like English has since then.
This totally cracked me up! Had a similar experience with a friend who married a lovely French girl while he was stationed in Europe. They decided to take the children to Montreal one summer for vacation. My friend's wife was so hurt by the subbing she recieved. One even accused her of being an amercian trying to speak French. They did not believe she had spoke nothing but 'Parisian' French for the first 20 years of her life!

Old 05-16-2009, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anole View Post
A friend of mine recommended the following, " A Dictionary of the Cajun Language" by a Msgr. Daigle, published by the Swallow Press in 1984. This is written by a Catholic priest from Welsh, La. As far as diving into the Cajun language this would be a good start.
The dictionary and Self Taught books are "required" for the cajun french minor at LSU. Wish I could find my copies!

Old 08-29-2009, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernyBamburg View Post
The dictionary and Self Taught books are "required" for the cajun french minor at LSU. Wish I could find my copies!
What do you mean "required" for the Cajun French minor at LSU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana