Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:40 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,305 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer, Alexandria or Monroe?

These two cities share many similarities:

- Similar in population (Monroe is slightly larger)
- Situated on a river
- Have sister cities across the river
- Are flat, but have somewhat hilly sister cities.
- Have high crime rates. (crime areas are mostly confined to certain neighborhoods)
- Have "Garden Districts" with historic housing.

I like Alexandria best, largely out of hometown pride.

Last edited by ral31; 02-09-2009 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 AM

420 posts, read 478,967 times
I need to be motivated to debate, but to get it started....... The downtown in Alexandria has no life whatsoever, Monroe's low income houses look like quaility apartments(making our city more attractive) in comparison to Alexandria's old ran down homes that they expect people to live in and not do crime. How many people on here say, "I want to go to Louisiana College", umm no one. ULM is a way.....way better school on alllllllllllll accounts. You are very lucky we are slighty larger on paper as far as population, but thats only because the tiny towns around want independence due to the famous stubborn atmosphere here. Other than that Monroe should be about 20K plus in population. Its way more things to do here in Monroe, Alexandria will lose out to anything entertainment wise to the sexier Lafayette which in less than an hr. Alexandra benefits in a homely feely. Monroe is feeling itself and has a swagger like its a high class city. I mean we are dependented upon by All of Northeast Louisiana, Arkansas, & Mississippi who pumps money in the city all the time. I think I wrote to you before Rmaf623 about Monroe's Progress vs. Alexandria's Progress in another thread. Well everthing that I written has all come about. Occupancy of Monroe's Downtown is rising fast like Shreveport's. Best way to decribe Monroe's Current situation: ITS ALIVE!!!! Shall I continue, or wait til someone pull out the heavy stuff? Oh I have so much to say, and to thing I want to move to Alexandria once upon a time, hahhahahaha.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 AM

Yes, I agree that Monroe serves a greater population than Alexandria. Monroe is the closest "big city" for Ruston and all of Northeast Louisiana. Central Louisiana doesn't seem as heavily populated with Kisatchie National Forest covering a large part of the area surrounding Alexandria. But in time, I believe that Alexandria has the potential to become a larger city than it is. Alexandria is growing, with alot of new development occuring on the west side. A new Wal-mart has opened and a new library is under construction in addition to other developments. Alexandria could do better entertainment wise if our outdated Coliseum were either remodeled or replaced. The main thing preventing Alexandria's growth to its full potential I believe is our leadership. There is an ongoing struggle between our mayor and city council over various issues which gives the city a bad image. There have been many attempts to revitalize downtown Alexandria. There has been some success in this effort, but largely downtown continues to decay. However, Alexandria does have some beautiful, tree shaded neighborhoods and many parts of the city are successful. But on the other hand, there are many economically depressed areas.

I also agree that Monroe does better when it comes to colleges. The Alexandria area does have Louisiana College and LSUA. But the Monroe area has ULM and also La Tech and Grambling nearby, which gives the area a much higher student population than Alexandria.

I don't want this thread to become a slugfest. I just want it to become sort of a discussion of the similarities and differences between Alexandria and Monroe and what can be improved in each. Both cities are good places in their own way and have much potential. I have only been to Monroe a couple of times, but I keep up with the events that occur over there regularly.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 AM

Aww your no fun, haha. I love the outdoor scenery in and around Alexandria. What bothers me the most about Alexandria (and many small cities do this)is the fact that they seem to only build along the hwys. Thats like putting a bunch of makeup on and and wearing alot of jewelry to detract attention from the bad insides. Im always impressed when Im driving along the hwys, but once I go within the city im disappointed. I havent seen the downtown there in 7 yrs, because I that turned off by it. I want to to here good things out of good ol' Alexandria(still bitter about the loss bid for Union Tank Car). Im rooting for Alexandria though, just need some good reasoning to be drawn back to the area where......I met my first love(..........why I said that I dont know).

Old 02-11-2009, 06:20 PM

Hmmm. I'm surprised that you find that Alexandria's highways are impressive and the insides to be unattractive. I always thought that many stretches of highway in Alexandria were underdeveloped. There is very little development along interstate itself, which is a big difference between Alexandria and Monroe. In Monroe, you have the Pecanland Mall and alot of commercial development adjacent to I-20. The main stretch of highway in Alexandria that is heavily developed is MacArthur Drive between the Mall area and 28 West. But alot of Alexandria's retail development is along North Blvd. and other side streets behind the Alexandria Mall.

There are many parts of Alexandria that are run-down but its not all bad. There are some older parts of Alexandria such as the Garden District which have been maintained throughout the years. The most successful side of Alexandria is between Highway 28 West, MacArthur Drive, and Masonic Drive. It is here that you have the most desireable, safest neighborhoods. What I consider Alexandria's second downtown is located in the Jackson Street Extension area just south of MacArthur Drive. This area is similar to the North 18th Street area of Monroe. There are two mid-rise bank buildings, one of which was completed last year, and many other businesses and shops. In recent years, there has been alot of development in the Highway 28 West area. Versailles Blvd is being extended and will connect to 28 West near the new Wal-mart in a few years. You have many new neighborhoods all along the western edge of Alexandria.

Overall, I consider Alexandria a mix of good and bad, growth and decline. Alexandria is filled with potential which hopefully will be reached someday. I was glad that Union Tank Car came to the area, but unfortunately there have already been some layoffs due to a decrease in demand. Didn't Monroe get "smart car" plant last year?

Old 02-15-2009, 02:37 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,010 times
The big advantage to Alexandria is that it's a shorter drive to Toledo Bend and some really great fishing. It's also easier to get to Breaux Bridge, Lafayette, and Baton Rouge. Although we do have our share of rednecks, it ain't quite as bad as Monroe.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 PM

5 posts, read 19,235 times
No contest....alexandria wins by a landslide. New international airport, new manufacturing plants jobs, opportunities. Young dynamic mayor and city administration. New businesses, three super wal-marts. First hastings and staples stores in louisiana just opened.

Monroe lost 4000 jobs since 2005, population in decline. Poverty and incompetent leadership to blame. City is dirty and rundown. City zoo looks like it should be in third world country.

Alex is ideally located on i-49 halfway between baton rouge and shreveport and only 60 minutes from lafayette. Monroe is stuck in the poorest corner of louisiana 100 miles from the nearest other major city.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:46 AM

hahahaha, your so funny aexman. Hows the infrastruture looking ol Alex these days. Yeah we lost alot of jobs but not 4000. Even if we did, within a year and a half we gain half of those jobs back with new jobs. Last time I check population wasnt effected that much at all. Still.....we have something Alexandria doesnt have.......independency. This debate has surfaced many times before, and how many times has it been mentioned that Alexandria is near Baton Rouge, Lafayette, or all the other dependant cities. Is that fact seriously helping your cause Alexandria? All that means is your losing money on the weekend because you cant entertain your city. Monroe draws in more money because we are depended upon by not just northeast Louisiana, but Southern Arkansas and Western Mississippi. North Louisiana citys are strong on there on, I mean the city of Monroe has so much independent money it can build its on hwys and do things like take care of its downtown, like make it look presentable(unlike alexandria). Northern Louisiana money is independent money. We lose jobs, but pick ourselves up and recreate jobs. The city is dirty? Really, alexandria is cleanier than Monroe? Woooooowwwwwww. Hows the low income housing there? I'd like to think the low income homes here are amongst the best in the nation, one reason crime isnt as bad as it is in Alexandria; you dont take care of the people who make your city tick!!!!! Whose going to work in the new Staples, Hastings, or Wal-Mart? The same people you throw in jail because you dont provide a decent living there in Alexandria will be checking out your spam at the register. At the same time while bagging your beef jerking and your processed creole crab meat, they're thinking about going to University of Louisiana at Monroe(the better, affordable college compare to Louisiana College) and to practice medicine where the college is in the top 10% in the nation. On add to that, you know how many jobs are here in Monroe alone when it come to the medical field? Maybe that exaggerated same "4000" more than good ol alex has i bet.

I mean the arguement u are making is so funny to me. I mean if your so fond of Lafayette or Baton Rouge and you live in Alexandria, why are you even attempting to make a fuss about how much better Alexandria is than another place? You dont even like your own city for you to make such a statement like look whats nearby and more amazing than us down the hwy. By the way, Im riding on Monroe's Tourist Street Car on my pocket pc. We are going through downtown passing by the beautiful Ouachita river, oh wow theres a bar, and another bar, a restaurant, and another restaurant, a new building, and another new building............Alexandra how you loving the downtime in your downtown????????? Im done..... close this thread please.

Last edited by Louisiana'sLegend2; 04-01-2009 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 03:10 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexman View Post
No contest....alexandria wins by a landslide. New international airport, new manufacturing plants jobs, opportunities. Young dynamic mayor and city administration. New businesses, three super wal-marts. First hastings and staples stores in louisiana just opened.

Monroe lost 4000 jobs since 2005, population in decline. Poverty and incompetent leadership to blame. City is dirty and rundown. City zoo looks like it should be in third world country.

Alex is ideally located on i-49 halfway between baton rouge and shreveport and only 60 minutes from lafayette. Monroe is stuck in the poorest corner of louisiana 100 miles from the nearest other major city.
You getting some kind of satistfaction from putting down Monroe compared to your town? Great. Pretty sure Monroe has all these aspects..Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, imo, a better mall by far. Better University opportunties, but LSU-A and LA College are good for some..

I work some in Alex, and I have no problems with it. But I do have problems with people from Alex making it seem better than anything--you guys shouldn't be putting other places down to prop yourselves up, Alex is a great town. Why put another (better) place down to make Alex seem nicer than what it really?

Monroe's economy has a plethora of opportunities and is actually doing better than the national economy-- better educational infrastructure and a larger regional economy as well. Accent Marketing, new call center, continued pipeline development only make it grow.

What's wrong with saying Alexandria and Monroe are both great cities!!! But don't put Monroe down to prop Alexandria up because its a failed attempt. The zoo isn't that bad-- its just the neighborhood around it.. and you can't tell me Alex doesn't have some pitiful neighborhoods.

Monroe is close to Jackson, Shreveport, heck, even Little Rock. I like South Louisiana's metros as much as the next guy but Monroe's location is fine. Some rural parishes may be considered poor, however ample hunting and fishing opportunities, great golfing, great vacation homes, etc. exist outside of Monroe as well.

Stop knocking Monroe and I wouldn't ever knock Alex down. I think every metro is Louisiana is a great place to live and raise and family.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexman View Post

I have to say, that new airport in Alexandria is very impressive!

And I agree that Alexandria's location is much more centralized (hence the nickname "Cenla") and easy to get to and from when going to Lafayette, BR or NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana