Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:17 PM

12 posts, read 47,963 times

Advertisements

Hank, not everyone wants "enlightenment".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,981 times
I've lived in North as well as South La. Currently we live in a small town in North La called Homer. As with anything, there is good and bad here. I can tell you that it's a safe place to live where the people are friendly. There's a beautiful Lake (Lake Claiborne) that's good for fishing and recreational activity which has a beach and state park. There is an equestrian ranch here that offers a summer camp for kids as well as trail rides throughout the year for any age. To me it's the most beautiful part of Louisiana because of the rolling green hills. The downside is that the town is small! There are two grocery stores, three dollar stores and a few restaurants, but that's it. The closest Wal-Mart is in Minden, about 20 minutes away. The largest metro area is Shreveport/Bossier City, 45min. - 1hr. away. There is only one public school, where my boys,(ages 8 and 9) attend, and a private school about 10 minutes away. We are in the "bible belt" so to speak, so people here are a little closed minded about things. You won't find any bars in town, but we do have a little dancing and live music in the square (alcohol and smoke free of course) on some Saturday nights and plenty of churches, mostly Baptist. As far as sporting activities for the kids, there are none that I know of. My boys take karate, art and horseback riding lessons. That's all I've found here so far. One thing that I don't like about this area, the ark-la-tex, is the terrible weather. We are in "tornado alley" which, to me, is worse than living in South La dodging hurricanes. At least you have ample warning of hurricanes so that you can make plans to evacuate. We frequently have severe thunderstorms with hail, straight line winds and tornadoes that seem to come out of nowhere.

As for South La, we lived in Kenner, close to New Orleans between 2001 - 2004. From what I've heard, it's changed a lot since Katrina and not for the better. I can only tell you how it was when I was there. I'm not familiar with the small towns in that vacinity, but Kenner and the surrounding area was a great big melting pot of different races and cultures! The people were accepting free spirits and down to earth, unlike North La where people can be judgemental. If you want a place that offers awesome food as well as a more laid back atmosphere, try Lafayette and Breaux Bridge. I love the size of Lafayette. It's not too small, but not too big either with lots of unique shopping and restaurants. I've never lived there, but visited several times. We just went a few months ago and stayed for a weekend in Breaux Bridge. We ate at a restaurant there called Mulates that's famous for it's food and live music. There was a huge long table of local older ladies (70ish) next to us. They were having a blast drinking their beer and dancing with our boys. The people there know how to have a good time at any age, but still keep it family oriented.

Sorry if I got a little long winded, but hopefully this will help you out a little. Good luck!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
Eunice is a horrible town. I knew many people there and they absolutely couldnt stand it. Lots of crime and problems and so very boring. If you want a great little Southern Louisiana town try Rayne. Its right off hte highway and a close drive to Lafayette. It is also the future site of a planned waterpark. I have coworkers there and they are quite content with the place and housing is pretty cheap.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,510 times
I live on Toledo Bend it is out on the lake. Very quite and beautiful... I have 3 kids and I will NEVER move...LOVE IT!!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,779 times
Breaux Bridge is a fantastic small town to raise a child in. However, I must admit that if you do live here>>>>better to put your child in Private School than the Public. Overall, this is a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana