U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 11:11 AM

33 posts, read 107,146 times

Advertisements

I am filling out my application form for college here in Bossier and I came across the ethnic origin part. Normally I decline to share this but I found that there was not an option to decline it. Furthermore, and disturbingly, there was not a category for 'other' or 'mixed'. This REALLY annoyed me. Is this common in Louisiana? Are people who are a mix of more than one race forced to choose one or the other? When I have children I want them to grow up to be proud of being both black and white - but how can they here if they are forced to choose one or the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:03 PM

425 posts, read 1,303,467 times
Just leave it blank. You are not required to disclose that information.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:56 PM

180 posts, read 614,109 times
Leave it blank - that's poor judgment on the question maker's part. You should ALWAYS have an "other" box for those, and I can't recall ever not seeing one.

Don't be too offended, though. I'd assume that question is just to help them have an idea of the school's demographics. If I were running a college and the racial makeup wasn't representative of the surrounding area, I'd want to know so as to better reach out to those communities under-represented.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:47 PM

30 posts, read 90,188 times
I'm half mexican half white, and it always says two or more races (not hispanic) so that one gets me every time! Which school did you apply to? I think I remember BPCC having no other, I just left it blank

Old 04-09-2009, 02:54 PM

33 posts, read 107,146 times
Yea! BPCC was the one! Sorry about my little complaint, it just kinda annoyed me! lol!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:49 PM

27 posts, read 134,303 times
Louisiana has the "one-drop" rule. If you are 1/36th black, you're considered black. Many "blacks" in New Orleans actually look completely caucasian...but because of this rule, they're considered black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana