U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:00 PM

9 posts, read 32,873 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this topic has come up recently in your forum, I have an extremely slow internet connection and can't make it through all of the pages in the forum, plus I'm looking for some up-to-date information if possible. If you know of any similar threads to this, feel free to post the link as well

My fiance JUST became a certified teacher in secondary education (social studies, history, political science) here in Michigan. We're from the Metro-Detroit area and it's nearly impossible to find any job here, especially a teaching job. Teacher lay-off's here have been going on for four years or so and we've been in a one-state recession now for seven years. So, all in all I can't imagine a WORSE time to be looking for a teaching position. We're up to moving anywhere really (well, maybe not Alaska) and we were curious about the situation down there in LA...What's going on with the Recovery School District? Is anywhere hiring down there anymore, or has the recession taken over the school districts down there too?

I read a recent thread about the lack of quality school districts/systems there, so I suppose if we make the move we'd be prepared for that. We're actually pretty used to crappy or sub-standard school systems, being that we're so near Detroit and get to hear all the lovely news that comes out of that city! Any information or insight you have to give would be really appreciated. We're just wanting to know what to expect if/when he puts in an application there! THANKS A BUNCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:24 PM

112 posts, read 276,218 times
I get emails from the RSD on a weekly basis; I have put in an application with them so it's not like they are just randomly emailing people, but they are doing some hiring. They are not my first choice district by any stretch of the imagination.

LA has a state-wide application you can do. teachlousiana.net is where you want to go for job openings and the online application. You can also google each parish independently and go to their website to see about job fairs and vacancies.

A problem that your fiance may run into is that most places will consider someone who is already certified in the state they are applying in over someone who has an out-of-state certification. I don't have any advice for you about that though; it's not like people have funds and time to do all that paperwork for more than one or two states.

Oh...the PDF link on the left of this site has information about the structure of the RSD.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 AM

211 posts, read 502,924 times
There is a lot of information about teaching in LA on the Teach Louisiana website: https://www.teachlouisiana.net/Default.asp (broken link).

There is information there about certification. LA has reciprocity agreements with many states, and depending on your wife's experience, LA certification may be quite easily attained.

I'm not a LA teacher, yet. But, I'm looking into it myself; so, I have gathered quite a bit of information about it.

Good luck,
Scott

Old 04-17-2009, 01:37 AM

211 posts, read 502,924 times
Since you said you two were amenable to going (almost) anywhere, have you considered her teaching overseas? I taught in Houston for 6 years, then hit the international circuit. I have taught in Mongolia, the Netherlands, and now in China. There are very good opportunities. If this interests you, check out this website: Teach Abroad: Search Associates

If you want anymore information about teaching overseas - or in general - feel free to send me a PM. I'll be happy to help.

Scott

Old 04-17-2009, 07:24 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,330,510 times
also try teachNOLA | Cherish our city. Commit to our children.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:27 AM

6 posts, read 14,138 times
Hi, my wife is a teacher. The teaching situation in Shreveport is tenuous, depending a lot on the school and principal you get. My wife's school is not very good, the principal is sort of lazy and the teachers try not to adhere to any rules, regulations or policies. You need to interview with the principal, ask questions. Take the same precautions as you would with any other job.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,451 times
I live in Lake Charles... not sure if you are willing to make THAT big of a leap into the south! It is fairly easy to become a teacher here. I have a friend that has a sociology degree and is a teacher. The school system is paying for her to get her certification WHILE she teaches. The qualifications were just to have a degree, have scored at least a 23 on the ACT and you have 3 years to take the classes toward the certification. I briefly thought about the career change and made an appointment to talk to a school board representative and it seems they will try to work with anyone's situation. I don't know if this is the same throughout Louisiana or if LC is just in a serious shortage of teachers!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 8,710 times
I was wondering about this as well. I'll have my bachelor's in 2010 in English, but in Illinois english teachers are not in demand. I am willing to relocate, and was checking out the Southern states. I wanted to become certified in where I was going to teach. So far GA looks promising, but I wanted more information on LA. Does anyone have any advice, good or bad?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:08 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,978,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_girl09 View Post
I was wondering about this as well. I'll have my bachelor's in 2010 in English, but in Illinois english teachers are not in demand. I am willing to relocate, and was checking out the Southern states. I wanted to become certified in where I was going to teach. So far GA looks promising, but I wanted more information on LA. Does anyone have any advice, good or bad?
The urban and rural school districts may not be your best bets, because (1) in the case of urban districts, private schools have siphoned off a lot of the good students, and (2) the rural districts generally are very poor. Your better bets will be suburban districts and/or some of those along the Miss River, since the chemical companies provide a significant part of the property tax base.

Examples of districts worth exploring: Bossier, W Feliciana, Ascension, Livingston, Zachary, Central, St Tammany, and St Charles.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 AM

6 posts, read 14,138 times
Default I agree with BRMan

I'm currently going through the alt cert program at LSUS. Shreveport says they need teachers and they do, but they shipped in teachers from the Philipines, and they lost some schools so the hiring situation is kind of crazy. The best thing to do is to look through the school board list of positions available, contact the principal, interview with the principal (if it's what you like), and if they want you they'll specifically ask for you and you've probably got a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or