U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM

33 posts, read 148,091 times

Advertisements

Surprising article I came across today..I didnt expect to see no cities in Louisiana on this list, but I see Lafayette ranked #3 on a forbes list.(Best mid size cities for jobs in America) And I thank they mad another list for culture too..Pretty good for Lafayette, I think Lafayette has so much potential to be a awesome city if it could just get its infrastructure together. It's the only city in Louisiana that needs a major highway to pass through its core....Why does Lake Charles, Alexandria, Monroe have a decent highway system but Lafayette doesn't??? Somebody messed up bad sometime in the 70s or 80s on planning this city...You people from all those cities can complain about whatever problems you have if you want too, but you should be glad u dont have to drive through a hundred red lighs a day WOW

Ps shreveport and Baton Rough also made the list in the top 10.. Check the list out on this link
In Depth: Best Mid-Sized Cities For Jobs - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,336,283 times
It looks like Houma-Thibodaux also did very well, ranking as #4 out of 336 cities on the list. Alexandria also has a high score at #21.

All Cities Rankings - 2009 New Geography Best Cities for Job Growth | Newgeography.com

Old 04-21-2009, 04:35 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,675,440 times
Ive lived in Lafayette for a while and knowing the backroads, you really dont have to take that manyl ights to get osme places. On johnston you do but other roads have many ways to travel.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:37 PM

425 posts, read 1,302,718 times
Doesn't I-10 go through Lafayette? And I-49 has it's terminus in Laffy.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM

I-10 does go through the city but, 80% of the city is well south of I-10 so most of us really hardly travel on 10 dailey, unless you live in a area where you would need to use it to come into the city or exit the city.. And I-49 stops at I-10..There are plans to extend it through lafayette but it will cost last I heard around 700 million...They would have to buy alot of property and elevate a highway over part of our city and knock down some buinesses and homes. Even though this part of are city is rundown it is still was sombodys home or part of a family for years.. Knowbody knows how long this process would take... Truth is we need highways asap, a loop or something. A city can only maintain the grow we are experience for so long without sometype of a better highway system..It would be ashame for all of this booming and construction you see everywhere to stop one day because of some bad planning

Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,675,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel et Intelligent View Post
I-10 does go through the city but, 80% of the city is well south of I-10 so most of us really hardly travel on 10 dailey, unless you live in a area where you would need to use it to come into the city or exit the city.. And I-49 stops at I-10..There are plans to extend it through lafayette but it will cost last I heard around 700 million...They would have to buy alot of property and elevate a highway over part of our city and knock down some buinesses and homes. Even though this part of are city is rundown it is still was sombodys home or part of a family for years.. Knowbody knows how long this process would take... Truth is we need highways asap, a loop or something. A city can only maintain the grow we are experience for so long without sometype of a better highway system..It would be ashame for all of this booming and construction you see everywhere to stop one day because of some bad planning
the city has highwaysl ike a typical small city, but the devlopment of Lafayette went away from the interstate, which makes our situation unique. WE cant build crazy interchanges or offramps everywhere because they really wouldnt go anywhere. Everything is located away from the interstate in a way that is hard to build towards. I dont think a loop would work that well, but perhaps a small route around the southwest portion and going toward highway 90 COULD concievably help traffic tremendously.
Unless thats what you meant by al oop.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM

430 posts, read 331,987 times
I tell everyone all the time....Lafayette is "the" hottest city in Louisiana right now. Great find Bell et Intelligent!!!! And once again everybody, stop thinking down and pessimistic about Louisiana to the point you are suprised at many of all the great things about Louisiana in comparision to the rest of the country. I only defend Louisiana so much because I have traveled many places in the U.S. and through it all, I found out Louisiana has many pros to go against our infamous cons. So, thanks for sharing this great info about Louisiana. keep it coming!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:21 PM

887 posts, read 2,707,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
I tell everyone all the time....Lafayette is "the" hottest city in Louisiana right now. Great find Bell et Intelligent!!!! And once again everybody, stop thinking down and pessimistic about Louisiana to the point you are suprised at many of all the great things about Louisiana in comparision to the rest of the country. I only defend Louisiana so much because I have traveled many places in the U.S. and through it all, I found out Louisiana has many pros to go against our infamous cons. So, thanks for sharing this great info about Louisiana. keep it coming!!!
Exactly.

I would rep my fellow Monroe brother.. but I can't since it says I've repped you too many times already.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
the city has highwaysl ike a typical small city, but the devlopment of Lafayette went away from the interstate, which makes our situation unique. WE cant build crazy interchanges or offramps everywhere because they really wouldnt go anywhere. Everything is located away from the interstate in a way that is hard to build towards. I dont think a loop would work that well, but perhaps a small route around the southwest portion and going toward highway 90 COULD concievably help traffic tremendously.
Unless thats what you meant by al oop.
I get what your saying Innotech and I guess I need to clear up what I meant..Your right Lafayette doesnt need to see all types of overpasses and stacks of highways sprouting up everywhere.. Like you said the city is built more away from I-10...But all Im saying if Lafayette continues to grow and the surrounding areas keep growing they will need sometype of highway system... Maybe nothing like something you would see in a big metro, but they will have to find something in the middle between a beat up road and a major highway..When those big companies research places to invest and a expand, infrastruture is a high priority on there list.. When I say highway system, I mean we need more roads built with out stop lights.. Not everyone wants to live on Johnson st or K. Saloom or a major artery through our town..When people move here not everyone will be ready for that, trying to memorize all the back streets.. That could be a pain trying to do..In our future we might attract young professionals moving to our city from other cities in the state.. why not make it as easy as possible to get people to move around.. There are alot of things I think the city-parish and law men of the state messed up on..I have a friend that works in city hall and he told me there were hundreds of missed oppertunitys for lafayette to expand and buit roads in the past 30 years..Why not have a loop that goes from Duson or scott to youngsville(I-10 to Us 90, future I-49)..It would be a win win situation for everyone.. If not a loop maybe a by pass somewhere in or around our city, we need something for traffic and growth..Yea we are growing but we need smart growth...... Innotech I dont know if you ever checked out this web site, Designs for a loop around lafayette check it out and let me know what you think...?

Lafayette Regional Xpressway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana