U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 23,006 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are thinking of relocating to Mandeville, La; and we had some concerns about racism. We are a biracial couple whom have grown accustomed to living without prejudice. Could anyone shed a little light on what we might be in for?

ED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 AM

887 posts, read 2,708,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olinina View Post
Hello,

My family and I are thinking of relocating to Mandeville, La; and we had some concerns about racism. We are a biracial couple whom have grown accustomed to living without prejudice. Could anyone shed a little light on what we might be in for?

ED
I would say it'd be less racist than Atlanta.. Not any worse.

Its a suburb of NOLA, so no..

Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,150,916 times
I really don't think you'd have much of a problem. Most people in Mandeville are well to do caucasians and don't live under a rock. Can't say that they won't be intrigued (it is the south, after all), but if you are nice people then I don't think they would hold it against you.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 PM

167 posts, read 776,800 times
I grew up in Mandeville and now live in the Atlanta metro area. You won't have any problems there. It's definitely a "white" town, meaning it has a large white population, but there isn't really a racism problem there. I notice it MUCH more here where I live in Kennesaw. Like another poster mentioned, with Mandeville being in such close proximity of NOLA, they are used to mixed race relationships and people. If you read about the history of NOLA, you will find that it is a hodge podge of lots of ethnicities and cultures.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Dut

25 posts, read 104,323 times
Well Mandeville is predominantly white and this area still is not very exposed to much diversity so you can expect to be looked at funny and hear people whispering about you. You will be discriminated against, believe it. David Duke is located in Mandeville. I really think you should consider more urban parts of Louisiana.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:32 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,981,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dut View Post
Well Mandeville is predominantly white and this area still is not very exposed to much diversity so you can expect to be looked at funny and hear people whispering about you. You will be discriminated against, believe it. David Duke is located in Mandeville. I really think you should consider more urban parts of Louisiana.
David Duke has also been traveling abroad a lot stirring up racial passions overseas. In fact, he was recently arrested in Prague. Plus, he is not originally from Mandeville -he grew up in New Orleans, then lived in BR, then in Metairie.

Like a previous poster said - Mandeville is an affluent "main town USA" kind of suburb.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 AM

You rock Mezzogirl, thank you a bunch

Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
David Duke has also been traveling abroad a lot stirring up racial passions overseas. In fact, he was recently arrested in Prague. Plus, he is not originally from Mandeville -he grew up in New Orleans, then lived in BR, then in Metairie.

Like a previous poster said - Mandeville is an affluent "main town USA" kind of suburb.

Thanks BRMan

Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,981,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olinina View Post
Thanks BRMan
Just trying to put things in perspective. It's easy (but intellectually lazy) to connect David Duke with just about anything in New Orleans/Louisiana as if he were still relevant, but he "jumped the shark" back in 1991.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:55 AM

167 posts, read 776,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dut View Post
I will point out that every town has an "embarrassment" who has somehow scammed, slept or manipulated their way to celebrity status. Trust me, this guy in no way represents the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana