Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:46 AM

211 posts, read 566,158 times

Advertisements

I'm going to move to Lafayette in a year. I want to buy in Crowley and commute. I'm somewhat familiar with Crowley, but I would love to make some contacts with folks who are already settled in the area.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 04:05 PM

128 posts, read 437,224 times
I know someone FROM there but she doesn't go there too often anymore...doesn't help you I guess lol

Out of curiosity, why do you want to buy in Crowley of all the areas around Lafayette? I'm sure homes are much cheaper there (for a reason) but I don't know what direction the city is moving in, seem to hear about more and more drug problems and violent crime there (then again, same could be said about plenty of towns around there). Not trying to scare you off as you say you are already familiar with the area, but just wondering why you would want to live there as opposed to somewhere else.

Also, do you keep up with the local news?

KATC.com - Acadiana News, Acadiana Weather, Acadiana Sports | Lafayette Weather, Lafayette News, Lafayette Sports
KLFY TV 10 - Acadiana's Local News, Weather and Sports Leader | - Home
http://acadiananow.com (Lafayette's newspaper, redirects to their new site)

FOX has a channel as well but you can read the tabloids at the grocery store checkout lines and get the same reliable information. I forget what channel they are but if you like FOX I'm sure it can be found via Google.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:08 AM

I'm not opposed to buying in Lafayette; I just thought I could get more for my money in a small town around Lafayette. I chose Crowley because my mom's family is from there and I used to visit a lot when I was a kid. So, I am somewhat familiar with it.

No, I don't keep up with the local news. Is there a lot of bad news about crime in Crowley?

I'll probably just live in an apartment for a while in Lafayette to see if I like the area enough to consider buying and living in the area for a while. I'm a teacher, so it's not hard for me to take my show on the road when a school year is up.

Scott

Old 04-30-2009, 06:11 AM

Default Trains

Oh and, I love trains. I would like a house in the Historic District near the train tracks, preferably close enough to be able to watch them pass from my porch. I am not familiar enough with Lafayette to know if that possibility exists there.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:43 PM

128 posts, read 437,224 times
Generally homes around train tracks are cheaper than elsewhere...when I left I believe there was a movement to try and "resurrect" the Historic District but I didn't pay much attention to it. I'm not familiar enough with residential areas along the tracks to know if there are any in good neighborhoods where you can watch them...I doubt it though.

I highly suggest you rent for at least six months while you figure the area out. Teachers there always seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to pay rates and the school board seems to have their head stuck way past the last corner where the sun does not shine (check acadiananow.com's forums and see if you can find some back stories on the school board and readers' comments). It's not a school system where I have really heard of teachers flocking to but it could definitely use some good teachers from what I hear. However, being a teacher I'm sure you know the situation there...hopefully you can do some good

As for Crowley, you know how the news is...report all the bad and little to nothing of the good. I do know that the drug and violent crime reports seem to be up around there although I'm sure there are some decent parts of town to live in.

The other downside is that it is 20 miles west of Lafayette whereas Scott, Duson, Carencro, and Breaux Bridge are much closer and still located on the interstates. Might not be bad while gas is "cheap" at $2/gallon but don't expect it to stay there especially once the economy turns around.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:12 AM

Thanks for your response. I will check out acadiananow.com today!

Scott

Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 PM

18 posts, read 61,373 times
I'm a Lafayette native (about to be transplanted out of state for the first time in my life) and wouldn't move to Crowley though I might consider Rayne.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy View Post
I'm a Lafayette native (about to be transplanted out of state for the first time in my life) and wouldn't move to Crowley though I might consider Rayne.
Why not Crowley vs Rayne? Other than the commuting distance to Lafayette is closer.

Scott

Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 AM

18 posts, read 61,373 times
I like the community better in Rayne.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:35 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
You could look at other towns in the Lafayette Parish like Scott, Youngsville, and Carencro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana