Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,127 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering putting in for Ft. Polk as his next duty station. We are both from LA originally, and would love to be back home. I would hopefully be working at the VA hospital in Alexandria. Can anyone help us out on neighborhoods in western Alexandria or anywhere between Alexandria and Polk that would be do-able for both of us, in terms of commuting?

Currently he is stationed at Ft. Knox and we live in Louisville...he commutes 45 minutes and I commute an hour to school. We don't mind driving as long as its not any worse than it is now!

Any advice would be appreciated. We are a young couple, no kids, and would like to be near a city. Also, we already know we don't want to be in Leesville or De Ridder (meddlesome family members live there )
Thanks again so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:08 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
There are a number of new neighborhoods just to the west of Alexandria near Hwy 28 West (the highway that leads to the Leesville-Fort Polk area.) St. Andrews Links Estates is a new but expensive neighborhood surrounded by a golf course just of 28 West. There are also some nice neighborhoods along Bayou Rapides off of Hot Wells Rd. Going towards the Kincaid Lake area, there's a new neighborhood being developed called West Lakes Estates. Then you have a couple of neighborhoods adjacent to Kincaid Lake. Further out to the west there are a some subdivisions in the Gardner/ Cotile Lake area.

If you want to live in western Alexandria, anything between Jackson Street and 28 West should be decent. Next year, the extension of Versailles Blvd. to 28 West is supposed to be complete, which will make the highway more accessible to neighborhoods further south. The only area between Jackson and 28 West that I would possibly avoid are those streets directly behind motels on MacArthur Drive or Windermere Blvd immediately near the drainage canal bridge (the canal backed up during Hurricane Gustav flooding nearby houses and townhomes). North of 28 West, you have the Grundy Cooper/ Cloverdale/ Westwind subdivisions, which I would consider a lower middle to middle class area.

I'm not sure exactly how long the commute to Fort Polk is, but I wouldn't think that it would be much more than an hour from any of these locations. The further west you are along Hwy 28, the better your commute will probably be.

Last edited by ral31; 05-04-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,462 times
He's right to suggest the newer subdivisions . . .you did not say whether your husband is an officer or not, so some of them may be higher than your housing allotment. If you like the outdoors, Kincaid and Cotile Lake both have reasonably priced homes but not often new/brick. We lived in Alex for several years and found a wonderful real estate agent: Linda Miller. She is FABULOUS and can be found with little effort--probably through Google. She will work with you tirelessly. If you are going to work at the vets' hospital, it is north of Alex. about 8-10 miles---the Pineville/Tioga area is prettier than west of town, but traffic is bad going across the bridge and would be a pain for your husband trying to come west in the mornings. Good luck on your appointment. Oh, and BTW, I now live in DeRidder and highly recommend it ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana