Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,983 times

Advertisements

I drive from Houston to our Houma facility and I'm tired of I-10 / 90.
Want to have a look at something different, so I figured I'd aim south at Port Arthur, Sabine lake, and take this highway 82 through Cameron, eventually meet up with 14, then 90 at new Iberia.

Is this a nice drive?

EDIT: also, anywhere good to eat along here? thanks!

Last edited by Reivax; 05-22-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 04:35 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,786 times
I drove from Oak Grove to Kaplan quite a few years back. There was nothing to see and I don't remember any restaurants or stores. Not sure about the more Westerly part of your route though. I say drive it once just to check it out but eat before you leave, LOL.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:28 PM

128 posts, read 437,342 times
I know what you mean about I-10/Hwy. 90...but honestly I don't really advise this route unless you just can not stand the thought of I-10 that day. It would be nice to mix up the routine a bit but I-10 is probably going to be faster (that stretch of nothingness west of the Texas border along with the MILES of construction always "killed" me...I hated it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
Is this a nice drive?
I used to drive this route fairly often back in college as I lived in Lafayette and my parents had moved to Johnson Bayou for a little while. The following pertains to the LA/TX border east to Abbeville (lived there for a while too).

In the daytime...yes, has/had (haven't been through there in the last couple of years) some very pretty spots. Be advised there is a ferry just west of Cameron so have a dollar or three (not sure what the current rate is) on you for a ferry ticket. Only one runs so if you get there just as it leaves you can expect a good 15-30 minute delay before you get across (depends on amount of traffic...they will wait for as full a load as possible).

At night? Not the road I would want to break down on as much of it is in the middle of nowhere. There are some small towns and some VERY small towns along the way. Also be wary of deer running across the road and possibly alligators along a few areas that are marshy. I never had a problem but some others have had incidences with deer (no alligators that I know of but I have seen them on the road).

Watch for cops especially around the Cameron vicinity, they love to ticket on this highway but I know a few people who constantly drive 80+ on it and have been lucky so far. Also, if you get stuck behind an 18-wheeler on a few stretches it may be a while before you get a good chance to pass...not to mention the reduced speed limits in the towns along the way.

Quote:
EDIT: also, anywhere good to eat along here? thanks!
Once you get east of Cameron you're not gonna find much to eat save for gas station snacks provided they are open at the time you pass by until you hit Kaplan or Abbeville. Abbeville has some restaurants along the Hwy. 14 bypass and a few that are not far off the highway too, I can't really recommend any due to lack of personal experience. Lynn G's was good but I don't know if they serve anything besides dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana