U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,946 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I live in Western North Carolina and are very interested in relocating to Southern Louisiana. We have 3 children in middle and junior high schools, and would like some suggestions on a few nice smaller rural towns with (of course) low crime rates and reasonable home sales prices. I'm not concerned with intertainment for the kids, we don't really go out much anyway and prefer home intertainment. I do however need decent schools, so information on these would be appreciated. I have heard that in some areas new people are not nessessarily completely accepted, and since I wouldn't want my children to feel unwelcome, I would love to hear of some personal experiences in regards to this, wether good or bad. I know all about heat and humidity, as well as insects and reptiles, don't particularly mind any of them, and a good storm or two is OK with me. It's the people, jobs, schools, and home prices I am most interested in. Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated, and I wish you all a wonderful day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,259,773 times
Schools are the main reason my wife and I will not be moving back to her hometown in Southern Louisiana from what we can gather from her friends and family in the Galliano area, Schools are terrible.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:03 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,160,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtobin View Post
Hello, my husband and I live in Western North Carolina and are very interested in relocating to Southern Louisiana. We have 3 children in middle and junior high schools, and would like some suggestions on a few nice smaller rural towns with (of course) low crime rates and reasonable home sales prices. I'm not concerned with intertainment for the kids, we don't really go out much anyway and prefer home intertainment. I do however need decent schools, so information on these would be appreciated. I have heard that in some areas new people are not nessessarily completely accepted, and since I wouldn't want my children to feel unwelcome, I would love to hear of some personal experiences in regards to this, wether good or bad. I know all about heat and humidity, as well as insects and reptiles, don't particularly mind any of them, and a good storm or two is OK with me. It's the people, jobs, schools, and home prices I am most interested in. Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated, and I wish you all a wonderful day!
W Feliciana's schools have the advantage of having a nuclear power plant providing a generous property tax base. W Feliciana Parish, which includes St Francisville, is to the NW of Baton Rouge, and is (for Louisiana) hilly and pleasant.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Default I need to rephrase part of my previous post...

In my post earlier I said something about a "good storm", I just wanted to let all the victims of any extreme act of nature know that I do not consider anything stronger that a little wind and some good thunder and lightning to be a "good" storm. Thanks for the answers I have recieved thus far, I'll be watching for more.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:52 PM

794 posts, read 3,172,617 times
Ascension, Livingston, St. Tammany and W. Feliciana are probably your better choices as far as schools go. St. Tammany is one of the faster growing and is mostly suburban NOLA. W. Feliciana has more terrain, and it would be cheaper. The people are mainly the same at both locales although you do get more of a 'Mississippi' flare when you're in parts of W. Feliciana and northern St. Tammany. W. Feliciana has the least services of all four parishes listed (and least population of the four).
Ascension and Livingston are pretty much suburban Baton Rouge now.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:35 PM

Thank you for your info, I will take a look here.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:25 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,373,611 times
Another parish with a good school system that often flies under the radar is St. Charles Parish to the West of New Orleans. It's a river parish, which generally means sugarcane fields and rich agricultural heritage.

West Feliciana is very rural with about 15,000 residents. It is a very beautiful area with lots of rolling hills and forests. Right now, the town of St. Francisville does not have many of today's common convenience type businesses. They are keen on preserving the small-town charm. Right now, you'd have to go to Zachary for something like Wal-Mart, but by the end of next year, you would be able to cross the Audubon bridge and go to New Roads for that type thing.

Ascension and Livingston are largely suburban. Along with the good schools, you would find many of the conveniences that come with a larger population. But if you want to be surrounded by countryside and still have good schools, look to West Feliciana.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM

887 posts, read 2,816,529 times
Check out:

Broussard,LA
St. Francisville,LA
Mandeville,LA

Old 06-08-2009, 06:09 PM

6 posts, read 16,020 times
Denham Springs in Livingston Parish also has good schools, I hear from southern La friends. It is on edge outside Baton Rouge.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:23 AM

16 posts, read 27,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Another parish with a good school system that often flies under the radar is St. Charles Parish to the West of New Orleans. It's a river parish, which generally means sugarcane fields and rich agricultural heritage.

West Feliciana is very rural with about 15,000 residents. It is a very beautiful area with lots of rolling hills and forests. Right now, the town of St. Francisville does not have many of today's common convenience type businesses. They are keen on preserving the small-town charm. Right now, you'd have to go to Zachary for something like Wal-Mart, but by the end of next year, you would be able to cross the Audubon bridge and go to New Roads for that type thing.

Ascension and Livingston are largely suburban. Along with the good schools, you would find many of the conveniences that come with a larger population. But if you want to be surrounded by countryside and still have good schools, look to West Feliciana.
Re: West Feliciana, I agree. I grew up in this parish and the schools are great and there definitely is the small town community feel. But, the town of St. Francisville is very rural, although it seems the town is undergoing some commercial redevelopment. You may also want to check out Zachary, LA. It's about 15-20 mins from St. Francisville and the school system there is very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana