Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 PM

450 posts, read 2,052,131 times

Advertisements

Back from the Bend after 2.5 weeks at a rental cabin on a bluff by Pendleton Bridge that had nice SSW or NNW breeze almost everyday that kept the temperature very comfortable. Got over to Natchitoches on the Red River--that river is really red and full-to-the brim. Lots of amenities for retirees and doctors here. Closer to me was Many and Hemphill--even some new medical stuff there. On the Texas side people go to Lufkin or Natchidoches for medical and Sam's Club. Spent more time on the south end of the lake by the dam--water deeper there and more recreational boating. But still like mid-lake for convenience--groceries and more of a laid-back fish camp feeling. But the south end is still not that developed. People have to go to Leesville or Jasper for amenities. That is about a 35 mile drive one-way. Jasper is a retirement center for both Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn folks. In fact, I looked at a lake place that an older couple had on Toledo Bend until health reason's made them settle in Jasper.

Bass boats buzzing on the lake and resorts full. But it is such a big lake there are big stretches where a boat is hardly seen. Lake is almost full-pool and mostly clear and not stained. Just beautiful!

You want a clean, 2 bedroom, 2 bath home with a pier dock and close to half-acre of land on a quiet cove with access to main lake? You can have it for 100K. More of a fixer-upper goes for less. You want interior lot with modest house or double-wide with easy access to the lake? You can have it starting at around 50K. You want bigger place on main lake with big view? You can have it starting at 150K but more likely closer to 200K. Prime waterfront has pretty much held its own--but some people go in over their head and have to sell. Shop around.

The forum is not a real estate mart so I will not give you any names--and I will later tell a story about a place I almost bought on the south end until I found out more about the possibility of serious shoreline erosion.

People are friendly on the Bend--but do be aware some might paint you too pretty a picture of a place that is for sale. Check things out with the River Authority if you are concerned about wave-action or erosion. But remember if there is wave-action it means a Summer breeze is in the offing. That cools things down.

I am still sold on a warm winter climate and affordable lakefront--and more amenities coming in--Toledo Bend is the place. God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 PM

3,070 posts, read 8,002,464 times
Kurt
Do you know if there are any empty lots left anywhere that would be decent for a small mobile home or camper down on TB? I know we can't advertise on CD but I am thinking about looking myself-you just whetted my appetite for it.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:25 PM

Smile Yes, there are vacant lots.

Howdy, hdwell! Sure, there are vacant lots. I assume you mean right on the lake because there are lots off-lake but near public landings. Now, on the lake itself you can still find lots, but some areas may be zoned for stick-built houses. But I almost bought a place with a vacant lot next-door not far from Turtle Beach near Cypress Bend that was ok for a trailer. I am not sure if "campers" would be excluded in areas that allow trailers. I don't think so. Any reputable real estate agent could help you. God Bless, Kurt.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Howdy, hdwell! Sure, there are vacant lots. I assume you mean right on the lake because there are lots off-lake but near public landings. Now, on the lake itself you can still find lots, but some areas may be zoned for stick-built houses. But I almost bought a place with a vacant lot next-door not far from Turtle Beach near Cypress Bend that was ok for a trailer. I am not sure if "campers" would be excluded in areas that allow trailers. I don't think so. Any reputable real estate agent could help you. God Bless, Kurt.
Thanks for the info, Kurt. I'm being to check into lots down there. The bug is starting to bite bad!

Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 PM

Wink Let er bite!

We don't live forever. Just do it! I have waited too long, myself. I guess I will have to work a bit more here in Florida--but Toledo Bend keeps calling. When you go be sure and have breakfast at Calfees marina on the Texas side of the Pendleton Bridge. Good people and good prices. Keep in touch and let me know if you take the plunge.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:36 PM

Certainly will do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana