Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:46 PM

33 posts, read 161,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Economic development is huge in Northern Louisiana!!! From Shreveport to Ruston to Monroe, You wont find no where esle in Louisiana where things are moving at a faster pace except along I-20. I mean Monroe felt the hurt of economic hard times 5 years ago losing about 3,000 jobs, but gain 5,000 more new jobs in that same 5 years. I agree Lafeyette has to be the hottest city in the state, but collectively as whole, Northern Louisiana is the all super duper powerful allmighty!!!! haha, but no seriously, southern Louisiana is just culture, customs, and tourism. You want a real job and dont wanna catch iodine poisoning from eating shrimp all day, come to North Louisiana and experience less mosquitos and swamps!!! lol.
Some of yall North Louisiana people love those cheesy swamp jokes huh? LoL Im from lafayette, the first day I live in a swamp i'll let you know about it ok. But to get back on the subject Ive heard alot of good things going on up there in the northern part of the state, and I think that is great for that area and the state as a whole. Havent spent to much time up there, but im sure yall could use those industries that drives the econonmy up there. Louisiana Legend you need to do your research if you think South Louisiana is just culture, customs, and tourism.. There are alot of hard working blue collor people here. With that said white collor jobs are also on the rise with companys expanding in S. Louisiana. Agricultural, some of the largest shiping ports in the world, energy, and petroleum and gas are the leading industries along with tourism, and money we make off of our unique culture. Even techinical jobs are on the rise especially here in Lafayette. Very Unique stuff is happeing down here (and im not talking about a new swamp tour louisiana legend )Fiber optic technology just to name a few and alot of other stuff as well for you tech freaks, Its really getting diverse .. We work hard and play harder and the world loves how we do it. Its really natural for people down here. Thats why they come down here to visit. And last time I looked around there sure are alot of N. Louisiana people relocating lately down here. But all in all I think the whole state is moving in the right direction because we have some catching up to do with the rest of the county, but until the day I cant find a job I think I would rather stay down south louisiana its no other place in the world like it ya digggg.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 AM

420 posts, read 478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Southern Louisiana is what gives the state its identity. Dont underestimate its importance.
Sorry, but im allergic to shrimp & crawfish. Identity from southern Louisiana?? Not exactly, the culture of outdoors, hunting, and sports come from North Louisiana. Sure, go head holla LSU.....but ummm those kids had to come from somewhere, somewhere like multi-championship schools like West Monroe, Bastrop, and Evangel. Karl Malone is from up here, Bill Russel is from up here. The culture of a great outdoorsman comes from N. Louisiana. They dont call us Sportman's Paradise for nothing. I cant imagine someone wanting to do a Nascar race in S. Louisiana. Theres alot of people who move from S. Louisiana just for that reason. What are you S. Louisiana without our farming industry up north? The land structure is unlimited in N. Louisiana, unlike S.Louisiana, kinda like in Lafeyette the highways lead to nowhere, and dont try to have any major agriculture unless u want it flooded every 3mths. Dont underestimate our importance......Shreveport was the capital once upon a time dont forget that!!!!

(Note: Im the Louisiana Legend, I dont look up stats, I have common sense and I travel alot!! Plus, I like to joke a little to make u guys think a little harder, these threads been getting stale.....but im back now to build on my legacy!!!)

Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 AM

33 posts, read 161,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Sorry, but im allergic to shrimp & crawfish. Identity from southern Louisiana?? Not exactly, the culture of outdoors, hunting, and sports come from North Louisiana. Sure, go head holla LSU.....but ummm those kids had to come from somewhere, somewhere like multi-championship schools like West Monroe, Bastrop, and Evangel. Karl Malone is from up here, Bill Russel is from up here. The culture of a great outdoorsman comes from N. Louisiana. They dont call us Sportman's Paradise for nothing. I cant imagine someone wanting to do a Nascar race in S. Louisiana. Theres alot of people who move from S. Louisiana just for that reason. What are you S. Louisiana without our farming industry up north? The land structure is unlimited in N. Louisiana, unlike S.Louisiana, kinda like in Lafeyette the highways lead to nowhere, and dont try to have any major agriculture unless u want it flooded every 3mths. Dont underestimate our importance......Shreveport was the capital once upon a time dont forget that!!!!

(Note: Im the Louisiana Legend, I dont look up stats, I have common sense and I travel alot!! Plus, I like to joke a little to make u guys think a little harder, these threads been getting stale.....but im back now to build on my legacy!!!)
Legend lol you cant be serious right? The abundance of athletes that come and came from down here are you serious??.. Karl Malone and Bill Russel where great yes, but are you serious im not even going to start listing the athletes that come from down here. It would take me all day to name, you coming with some kindergarden statements on why you think N. Louisiana is better almost starting to sound childish. Karl Malone and Nascar huh?...yea thats going to make people want to come visit our state lol yea right. You right about 1 think this N vs S arguement is getting stale and legend you just made this slice of bread as hard as a brick.. I tried to give you the benifit of the doubt because I love the whole state and I understand that we are all very unique. But you making it to hard Legend.. I have nothing aginst N Louisiana at all but when you go somewhere in the nation or the world and someone says louisiana nobody thinks of Monroe Legend. Im not talking down on Monroe im just stating the facts. And if you think evangel west monroe and bastrop are the only schools with championships you really need to do more research. That was pretty ignorant, but anyway I dont care about all of that stuff like you do, its sounds like you be haten on S Louisiana.. And im not the biggest LSU fan in the world but I root for them in the big games because thats the home state team.. If LSU was located in Tallulah I would still root for them...Im sorry the campus is located off of I 10 instead of I 20 its not are fault..And your saying that shreveport used to be the capital who care lol.. I dont know of one person from baton rouge thats comes to tell me that our city is the capital ha ha... Does that pay the bills, does that make you cooler or something, does that come with a women? If so maybe I should move to Baton Rouge lol.. Come on Legend if your going to start with a debate to draw people in your conversation come harder then that....That was childs play.....O in the last thing legend you aint the only one that travels alot so I wouldnt play that card again, im in the air force reserve I travel all the time and I have lived on both coast and I went to college in Dallas (im not bragging at all I just have seen more then N and S Louisiana ...So I would rethink that stragey a little

Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 PM

81 posts, read 295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel et Intelligent View Post
Some of yall North Louisiana people love those cheesy swamp jokes huh? LoL Im from lafayette, the first day I live in a swamp i'll let you know about it ok. But to get back on the subject Ive heard alot of good things going on up there in the northern part of the state, and I think that is great for that area and the state as a whole. Havent spent to much time up there, but im sure yall could use those industries that drives the econonmy up there. Louisiana Legend you need to do your research if you think South Louisiana is just culture, customs, and tourism.. There are alot of hard working blue collor people here. With that said white collor jobs are also on the rise with companys expanding in S. Louisiana. Agricultural, some of the largest shiping ports in the world, energy, and petroleum and gas are the leading industries along with tourism, and money we make off of our unique culture. Even techinical jobs are on the rise especially here in Lafayette. Very Unique stuff is happeing down here (and im not talking about a new swamp tour louisiana legend )Fiber optic technology just to name a few and alot of other stuff as well for you tech freaks, Its really getting diverse .. We work hard and play harder and the world loves how we do it. Its really natural for people down here. Thats why they come down here to visit. And last time I looked around there sure are alot of N. Louisiana people relocating lately down here. But all in all I think the whole state is moving in the right direction because we have some catching up to do with the rest of the county, but until the day I cant find a job I think I would rather stay down south louisiana its no other place in the world like it ya digggg.....
You said it right when you said "some". I, for one, hate the swamp jokes; in fact, many people from outside of Louisiana think that about the entire state and to be quite honest it annoys me every time someone asks "do you live in the swamp?" or something along those lines.

Yes, without southern Louisiana, this state would have NO identity. My beloved home city of Shreveport is more reminiscent of eastern Texas than southern Louisiana, and Monroe is more reminiscent of western Mississippi and southern Arkansas than anything.

Please, we can all get along here. I have nothing but good words to say about Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans. I make it no secret that I am most fond of Shreveport-Bossier, but that is only because it is home and my greatest desire is to help this area prosper. I see its positive points and its negatives, but I focus on the positives and hope that in time they will outweigh the negatives. I feel we are making huge strides in that direction right now, but we are far from being there at this time.

We should all be proud of not only our state, but our individual cities as well. And to be quite honest, it seems everyone here is proud of their home cities. I do not wish to convince people to move to Shreveport from New Orleans, Baton Rouge or Lafayette, but I will help as much as I can with the transition for anyone who is planning such a move. At the same time, I also will not lower myself to the level of city bashing, region bashing, etc. I will bash people, ideas, etc but I refuse to even attempt to make anyone's home city look bad. I have lived through some of the lowest times in Shreveport's history over the past 30 years, and have had to fight hard to change the collective mind of the Shreveport "bashers". You win some and you lose some, and there are a lot of people whose minds I will never change with all the positive data in the world. But those people are just as entitled to their opinions as I am mine, and as much as I disagree with them and would love to change their opinions, I know it will never happen.

Oh, and on the subject of the Shreveport GM plant: despite the recent glimmer of hope with the pending Hummer transition, it was announced today that our plant WILL, in fact, be closing after all. According to the Shreveport Times article I read today, the plant is expected to be closed by June of 2012, if not sooner. So for all the positive economic news we have received in Shreveport-Bossier over the past few months, this is a very large nugget of negativity. I had to read the headline three or four times to make it sink in, as my Shreveport-loving brain simply could not comprehend the negativity that my eyes were staring at.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:33 PM

974 posts, read 2,184,789 times
Well S'port area's unemployment rate is somewhere around 6.8% and is expected to increase somewhat over then next 2 quarters. Of the top 30 privately held companies, 17 are automotive-related industries ( dealerships, suppliers, parts warehouse inventories, service-related ). So if the automotive dealerships start feeling the pinch ( and they are ) this will ripple-outward big-time.

I don't know where Forbes got it's info. If they've been reading the local C of C's Economic Dev. cheerleaders . . . then I'd say yeah. But if you're looking at manufacturing diversity in NW La... it's not here. Haynesville Shale you say? Well last year natural gas was humming at almost $14mcf..... today it's less than $4mcf and there are layoffs there and a major slowdown from the insane almost gold-rush mentality last year that drove mineral leases into the stratosphere. Last year an acre could fetch $25,000 in signing bonus....today...you're lucky to get $500 per acre.

GM will close probably before 2012 as new orders for overpriced Chevy Colorado pickups will practically come to zero. GM has a ton of inventory to sell and dealers sales here and elsewhere are down 40% or more this summer. Hummer sale to the Chinese? Hmmmm....jury's out on that as the Chinese will only buy it for cents on the dollar or incredible concessions. New product for GM? Well....depends on how well our state Senators can pull clout in D.C. as GM is now a USA-Gov owned company.

Jobs? You bet...lower-paying service industry jobs are abound. But if you have a college degree and expect more than $30K....you will be looking for a good, long time unless you have a medical degree or some healthcare related training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana