Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 40,153 times

Advertisements

LSU BR is to thank for the internet connection speed averages....hmmm So, Baton Rouge has a fiber optic ring around it that provides internet to end-users and is managed by the city? I don't think so, but guess who does? You guessed it....Lafayette. It is managed and administered by Lafayette Utilities System, a sub department of Lafayette Consolidated Government.

Yes, currently it is only providing services mainly to business customers (the company that I work for included) however they are working on an expansion project, dubbed the 'LUS Fiber to the Home' project.

In the near future, LUS will have the system in place to provide television, internet, and telephone to every single home and business inside of the city at cheaper rates that the 'big guys' and all together in one bill. It truly is a wonderful project and is something that neither Baton Rouge, Shreveport, or New Orleans have in place or in the works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 01:17 AM

4 posts, read 18,969 times
Default Lafayette, Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkallison View Post
My husband has gotten a job that will move our family from Lincoln, Nebraska to Lafayette, Louisiana.

Can anyone tell me a good neighborhood to look into? We know we want to rent a house (we have two big dogs that need a backyard) and we have no idea where to go!

Also, can anyone give me an insiders' view of the city? What's the crime like? Is it going to be a safe place for my 9 month old?

Thanks, any info can help!!!!
We moved overseas from Lafayette Louisiana,was born and raised there.
You want to look on the South side for housing. The schools are great and the crime is low. You'll also meet some of the most wonderful people in your life. Lafayette is known as a "family town" and people there are so friendly. You'll love it. Plus the food is great.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 16,120 times
Check out the Broussard / Youngsville area just South of Lafayette.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:29 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
I know this is an old thread but I recently joined and some interesting topics were brought up here that Id like to comment on. Use this as a local guide to the city of Lafayette if youd like.

Ive lived in Lafayette for 21 years now. Moved here when I was 5 and my parents live on the North side of town. However, the north side gets a bad rep because, honestly, parts of it ARE a dump. But north of Pont Des mouton road onwards into Carencro is actually a very relaxed and excellent place to live. My parents live on the northernmost edge of town, away from the traffic and crowds of the Southside. It has a great church community and very very friendly and close knit people. Crime in that area of the northside is very very rare.

Myself, I live in an apartment complex (and soon a small house) in the northwestern portion of the city,very close to Scott within easy reach of the southside. I dont drink or do drugs, so the party life isnt to my tastes, but theres other things to do in Lafayette that make it a nice place to live.
This area is ok, but there are much nicer parts of town. Luckily to get there only takes a few very well placed back roads that lead directly to the bustling parts of town.

What I like about the city is not only the food and the cajun culture, but also the very warm and friendly people. Now there are always a ton of rude people in any decent sized city, and with the influx of people to this area, you will likely encounter a few. The area is flooded with Cajun culture, and in Lafayette especially you will be inundated with it everywhere. One thing I particularly enjoy is going to Prejeans or other seafood restaurants in the area that actually have live cajun bands playing on occasion. It really sets the mood for the area listening to a cajun folk song while dining on crawfish ettouffee

The driving situation does suck terribly, because there are a few main streets where all the business activity is located. these are the Johnston Street and Ambassador Caffery corridors. Traffic can be avoided in many cases, however, with some easily taken routes through certain subdivisions and sideroads. I have learned very efficient ways of getting around the city without getting stuck in too much traffic. It can be done. However, prepare to plan your trips around traffic in some areas. Some places, it is extremely dangerous to turn left, so driving down a block to the right and taking another road is often a good solution. It beats waiting for an opening that may never come.

As far as internet goes, Lafayette is very much a high speed networked town. Few areas are still on dialup but most of the city, even the northside has at least 5 mps connections, and the house I am moving into is capable of a 15 mps connection. On an interesting note, my uncle is actually the head of the Lafayette Chamber of commerce, so if you have any suggestions business-wise about the city or ideas, I would be more than glad to tell him about it and see if hes able to do anything. Hes very gung-ho about making Lafayette a better place for business and really supports the I49 corridor project and the Louisiana avenue extension.

Lafayette is growing pretty rapidly and Im not sure how long that will last, but its got a pretty stable economy, although much of it is currently dependent on oil related companies. I am employed as a part time dispatcher for a gasoline hauling company that is headquartered here, and my father works in a local rubber products facility as a head foreman of sorts, but its good work. the cost of living here isnt that bad aside from housing prices, and everything you need is pretty much within reach. Even in the case of living on the northside, just hop onto the interstate and you can be at the mall in 15 minutes.

Crimewise, there are pockets of town to avoid certainly, but generally you can drive around most places without worry. Ive been to every concievable part of this city and I know most areas really well. you can raise a child safely and get them a decent education if you know where to look. the Southside is very good as far as having a more modern city look and feel. I love to drive around over there. In general though, the worst parts of town are along Louisiana avenue near Evangeline throughway, Evangeline crossing near downtown, and behind the northgate mall area. I worked at a cinema right next to the mall though for several years and while the people who attended it were definitely dangerous looking, there was never an actual criminal incident near the area that Im aware of.

Park-wise theres a few around town and they are generally safe in the daytime. Dont go into them at night though. One park however, is located near campus and is very nice and large. It has a huge pond and gazebo buildings and facilities. It also has a nice big running track around the perimeter.

Really theres a lot to like about Lafayette and aside from the normal things that plague almost any city, I dont see much of a problem living here. true, it doesnt have a big city mentality or design, and I would desire a few more interesting shops, less traffic, and the heat and humidity take some getting used to. but Ive called it home for 21 years now and I have visited other cities across the nation, but Im proud to call Louisiana my home. I wouldnt trade the culture, the friendly people, and the relaxed laissez faire attitude around here for anything. It has a certain appeal that you just have to see for yourself.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:42 PM

80 posts, read 129,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
"Population wise, Lafayette is always growing. We are currently the 4th largest city in Louisiana behind Shreveport (which is losing population and plaged by crime, though it is getting better) and also the fastest growing area in Louisiana."

Thanks for the negative remark. Shreveport isn't any more plagued with crime than any other southern city with 200,000+ people. As a matter of fact, of the three largest cities in Louisiana, Shreveport's overall and per-capita crime rates are the lowest.

And according to the latest Census estimates, for the past 6 years Bossier City has been the fastest-growing city in the state.

Also LSU Baton Rouge is to thank for the internet connection speeds, not Lafayette.

Nothing at all against Lafayette... it's really a nice place... but please don't give erroneous information to outsiders.

In addition, Metairie was and still is larger than Lafayette, making Metairie, not Lafayette, Louisiana's fourth largest city.

Metairie CDP, Louisiana - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Lafayette city, Louisiana - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Old 04-27-2008, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 8,184 times
How far is Lafayette to Westwego?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 PM

80 posts, read 129,094 times
I think about 100 or so minutes on Hwy 90.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 21,154 times
Quote:
My husband has gotten a job that will move our family from Lincoln, Nebraska to Lafayette, Louisiana.

Can anyone tell me a good neighborhood to look into? We know we want to rent a house (we have two big dogs that need a backyard) and we have no idea where to go!

Also, can anyone give me an insiders' view of the city? What's the crime like? Is it going to be a safe place for my 9 month old?

I don't know anything about Nebraska .... But Lafayette is a small city .... Good place to raise children .... My Husband was once miltary we move around alot ... We are from Louisiana .... This is our first time living in Lafayette ... We buy a home in Broussard area .... We love it .... Of course there is crime .... But for us not Like many places we have live .... It is smaller area .... And I guess you say that it is rather easier for them to get the bad people ..... since everyone seems to know everyone .... We have live here for 2 years now ..... What you might want to do is get with a realtor for rental ..... drive thru the areas ..... during the week and weekends .... keep away from the Northside try and stay close to the southside .....

Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrylstar View Post
I don't know anything about Nebraska .... But Lafayette is a small city .... Good place to raise children .... My Husband was once miltary we move around alot ... We are from Louisiana .... This is our first time living in Lafayette ... We buy a home in Broussard area .... We love it .... Of course there is crime .... But for us not Like many places we have live .... It is smaller area .... And I guess you say that it is rather easier for them to get the bad people ..... since everyone seems to know everyone .... We have live here for 2 years now ..... What you might want to do is get with a realtor for rental ..... drive thru the areas ..... during the week and weekends .... keep away from the Northside try and stay close to the southside .....
I really think the northside gets an undeserved bad rap, because some very nice places to live are on the northside. I wouldnt deter people from driving around on Moss street for example. Prejeans restaurant is located up there off of I49 as well as a hockeyplex ice arena and a few boutique shops. Just stay away from the areas directly around the interstate cloverleaf and along evangeline throughway. Thats where most crime occurs.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,416 times
Default Your post from awhile ago.

Quote:

***Hi, I realize you have posted this awhile ago, but I am in the same situation now. My husband has gotten some job offers in Lafayette, we are in Tennessee now. How do you like it there?

Is the SW region still a good place for a family? We have a 3 year old little girl. I have never been to LA, but the few things I do know kinda worry me.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana