U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 06:09 PM

2,049 posts, read 4,724,603 times

Advertisements

Call me crazy, but I kind of think Louisiana cities seem to expand in a much different pattern from other states. We have our share of suburb areas, but it really seems as though they are much less their own entity and more attached to existing towns. If you look at a map of Louisiana, notice that the majority of cities are more spaced apart and are not as dominated by a central city. Lafayette for example backs into Broussard and Scott, but the structure is very different from how cities in other areas of the country seem to interact. We dont really have townships here, or buroughs. I think New Orleans area is the closest to the suburb/white flight idea in the state and perhaps maybe Shreveport/Bossier city. but overall you dont see the massive blobs of interconnected cities and towns surrounding the central one. They all seem to exist osmewhat independently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 08:19 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,011,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Call me crazy, but I kind of think Louisiana cities seem to expand in a much different pattern from other states. We have our share of suburb areas, but it really seems as though they are much less their own entity and more attached to existing towns. If you look at a map of Louisiana, notice that the majority of cities are more spaced apart and are not as dominated by a central city. Lafayette for example backs into Broussard and Scott, but the structure is very different from how cities in other areas of the country seem to interact. We dont really have townships here, or buroughs. I think New Orleans area is the closest to the suburb/white flight idea in the state and perhaps maybe Shreveport/Bossier city. but overall you dont see the massive blobs of interconnected cities and towns surrounding the central one. They all seem to exist osmewhat independently.
BR used to be that way, but you have a lot of suburban spillover now into (in Livingston Parish) Watson/Denham Springs/Walker and (in Ascension Parish) Prairieville/Galzez/Dutchtown

Old 06-26-2009, 08:36 PM

81 posts, read 269,637 times
I live in Haughton, which is east of Bossier City. When I drive home down Highway 80, I pass through many consecutive towns/communities within a 10-mile stretch of road: Bossier City, Red Chute, Eastwood, Princeton, Fillmore, and then Haughton. If a person didn't know they were passing through all these different communities, they would most likely think they drove from Bossier City straight into Haughton. We do seem to have a lot of these areas, such as the north Shreveport-Blanchard-Mooringsport-Oil City area. Oil City is a bit separated because of Caddo Lake, but Shreveport, Blanchard, and Mooringsport pretty much flow together. Bossier City and Benton used to be miles apart, but now they almost touch at the northern edge. Shreveport and Greenwood pretty much touch now, and the town of Waskom, Texas is just a couple more miles down I-20 from Greenwood. Shreveport proper has swallowed quite a few formerly individual communities over the decades, but that doesn't happen much these days considering the city really hasn't grown much in recent years except to chase tax dollars. The only real "spillover" type thing you have here is into DeSoto Parish, south of Shreveport.

Last edited by urbanexplorer2009; 06-26-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 08:57 PM

4,594 posts, read 3,423,622 times
In the Alexandria area, the two predominate cities are Alexandria and Pineville. There has been some white flight from Alexandria to the Pineville side of the river, as well as to the west down Highway 28 West towards Kincaid/Cotile Lakes, and to the south to Woodworth. The closest thing to a real suburb is Woodworth. Even though Alexandria is the main city, I think of Pineville as is its own city instead of a suburb of Alexandria. Ball and Tioga and other areas on the north side of the river seem strongly connected to Pineville.

The city of Alexandria continues to grow along its western edge with a number of residential areas that have been developing recently.

Last edited by ral31; 06-26-2009 at 09:10 PM..

Old 06-27-2009, 01:43 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,011,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
In the Alexandria area, the two predominate cities are Alexandria and Pineville. There has been some white flight from Alexandria to the Pineville side of the river, as well as to the west down Highway 28 West towards Kincaid/Cotile Lakes, and to the south to Woodworth. The closest thing to a real suburb is Woodworth. Even though Alexandria is the main city, I think of Pineville as is its own city instead of a suburb of Alexandria. Ball and Tioga and other areas on the north side of the river seem strongly connected to Pineville.

The city of Alexandria continues to grow along its western edge with a number of residential areas that have been developing recently.
Do you see the potential for spillover into Grant Parish ?

Old 06-27-2009, 06:25 PM

4,594 posts, read 3,423,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Do you see the potential for spillover into Grant Parish ?
There are a couple of small developments in southern Grant Parish already. There could be more development in the future especially since the commute wouldn't be that bad from southern Grant. The Cottingham Expressway runs from the Grant/Rapides border in Tioga to I-49 in downtown Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or