Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:05 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,092,111 times

Advertisements

When did Haitians immigrate? Why would black people move to America then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:18 AM

806 posts, read 869,186 times
There was more than just a few Germans . In fact , a lot of names that are generally considered to be French are actually German in origin . St. James Parish has a rich history of German immigrants . Some of them were my own family .

Old 10-06-2017, 04:37 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,178,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've never heard of Creole meaning someone directly from France. It's always mix race.
Quote:
There are many definitions I've heard over the years but that's the first. Isn't Creole synonymous with mulatto?
I had a Creole teacher in middle school, and the way she explained it was that the Creole were derived from a French colonial culture that was of people of any race or mixture. So you could look 100% French, Spanish, African, or any combination of the above and be Creole. That it wasn't about race, but a Franco-centric culture that developed in Louisiana among a group of people with any or all three of those backgrounds.

It even came up because her husband, also a teacher in the school, was Creole and looked like Ronald Reagan, while she was a light skinned black, and students were curious that they were both Creole despite different looks.

And I'm sure she used a more basic explanation, so maybe I extrapolated a bit, any Creole's out there to help explain?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,532,378 times
I really enjoy Zydeco music quite a bit more than Cajun music. I don't know if Zydeco comes from the Cajun or Creole culture or another culture, but the songs for the most part are sung in English and it seems most of the artists are black, at least that's been my experience.

Zydeco music is pretty much unheard of outside of the Gulf Coast region that stretches from Houston to Mobile.

I'm guessing that alot of people who are not familiar with Zydeco, mistakenly believe it's Cajun music they are hearing. It certainly doesn't have the nationwide name recognition that bluegrass and Cajun music has.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:09 PM

814 posts, read 1,464,959 times
Quote:
When did Haitians immigrate? Why would black people move to America then?
I imagine he is speaking of the refugees who came from French Saint-Domingue after the Haitian Revolution (thus it was renamed Haiti) in the early 1800s. It was about 10,000 people and equally split between white, free people of color, and slaves and they settled in New Orleans and basically doubled the city's population in 1810. It was a brutal rebellion where any white people were being killed and many free people of color were also scared their position in society would be lost (plus many also had slaves) so they came to New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
There was more than just a few Germans . In fact , a lot of names that are generally considered to be French are actually German in origin . St. James Parish has a rich history of German immigrants . Some of them were my own family .
Yes, a lot of common names like Trosclair, Schexnayder, LaBranche, Haydel, Vicknair, Waguespack, (and all their various spellings), etc. all have German origins. St. James, St. Charles, and St. John the Baptist were historically known as the German Coast. Of course New Orleans received a large wave of German immigrants too but that was later in the 1850s.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:08 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,092,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I imagine he is speaking of the refugees who came from French Saint-Domingue after the Haitian Revolution (thus it was renamed Haiti) in the early 1800s. It was about 10,000 people and equally split between white, free people of color, and slaves and they settled in New Orleans and basically doubled the city's population in 1810. It was a brutal rebellion where any white people were being killed and many free people of color were also scared their position in society would be lost (plus many also had slaves) so they came to New Orleans.
Interesting to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana