Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 AM

420 posts, read 478,579 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I said it, Im hungry, but who better to ask than the great Louisiana who has an identity for great food.

So, im in your respected areas(Shreveport/Bossier, Lafayette, Lake Charles, BR, or N.O............oh yeah, cant forget about Monroe, LA), Where can I get a big ol' Lake Pontchartrain size plate to eat that would just make me feel as "mighty as the Mississippi River" when im done eating

Please be extremely descriptive, like mouth -watering, fall off the bone, sock-it-to me like, "buttery" descriptions of your favorite dish and restaurant!

This can be fun, so whats for lunch Louisiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Yeah, I said it, Im hungry, but who better to ask than the great Louisiana who has an identity for great food.

So, im in your respected areas(Shreveport/Bossier, Lafayette, Lake Charles, BR, or N.O............oh yeah, cant forget about Monroe, LA), Where can I get a big ol' Lake Pontchartrain size plate to eat that would just make me feel as "mighty as the Mississippi River" when im done eating

Please be extremely descriptive, like mouth -watering, fall off the bone, sock-it-to me like, "buttery" descriptions of your favorite dish and restaurant!

This can be fun, so whats for lunch Louisiana?
- Voodoo BBQ (originally from NO, but several restaurants are open in BR now)
- Sammy's, where you can have yummy melted cheese poboys with either shrimp, crawfish, or prime rib
- Yummy pecan praline hush puppies from Cafe Americain

...signing off from down south

Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
Here we go with 'buttery' again. At least this time it's dealing with food. :P

I had chicken tenders at the local cafeteria for lunch today. I bet they were still better than cafeteria chicken tenders say in Canada or Guatamala.
I've been trying to save recently. No eating out for a while... if I can help it. :P
Actually, I probably will have the option of stopping by Sammy's after softball today with the gang but for the sake of not eating one of their delicious poboys or having a good beer and needing to get a few things done around the house, I'm probably going to pass.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:26 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
Monroe--

Geno's
Johnny's
Ray's PeGe
Danken Trail
Barnhill's!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Shreveport
Try a chain restaurant. Many greasy spoons but few that really stand out. They're ok

Bossier City
Kim's Poboy (formerly of NO). Great Poboys plus the best fried rice in town.
Cafe USA Home style cooking
Blue Moon BBQ-great ribs
Bodacious BBQ- The "botato"

Both cities have many many Mexican and Chinese Restaurants. Southern cooking is not as common as it once was.
There are several Greek, Lebanese and middle Eastern restaurants. One Indian, many Japanese. Pretty etthnically complete.

For Cajun, I like Savoies. Crawfish-go to Dixie Inn (about 25 miles east) and hit Crawfish Shack. Shanes is good too.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 PM

81 posts, read 294,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Shreveport
Try a chain restaurant. Many greasy spoons but few that really stand out. They're ok
Fertitta's - Home of the Muffy!

Herby-K - Home of the Shrimp Buster!

Monjuni's - Shreveport-based regional italian restaurant chain, and I have a real love for the original location on Louisiana Avenue.

Superior Grill - Tex Mex, but not the usual fare. Awesome atmosphere, and while the food prices keep rising, the food is still good and the drinks will knock you on your butt.

Nanking - It IS a Chinese restaurant, but it is very different from most, and they serve homemade bread. They also have an entire half of their menu dedicated to more traditional "American" foods.

Lots of people LOVE Murrell's, Strawn's, George's, RJ's, etc. To each his own, I suppose, but it's not really my thing unless I am going for breakfast or for Strawn's strawberry pies. Those are literally to die for.

Quote:
Bossier City
Kim's Poboy (formerly of NO). Great Poboys plus the best fried rice in town.
Cafe USA Home style cooking
Blue Moon BBQ-great ribs
Bodacious BBQ- The "botato"

Both cities have many many Mexican and Chinese Restaurants. Southern cooking is not as common as it once was.
There are several Greek, Lebanese and middle Eastern restaurants. One Indian, many Japanese. Pretty etthnically complete.

For Cajun, I like Savoies. Crawfish-go to Dixie Inn (about 25 miles east) and hit Crawfish Shack. Shanes is good too.
Glad to know Cafe USA is still around. A few years ago, that was a place my wife and I frequented. And aren't there two Indian restaurants in Shreveport? At least there were. There is also at least one Thai restaurant.

Still haven't tried Kim's, but it sounds like I'm missing out. Too bad I have about 135 lbs to lose at the moment, or else I'd try it!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Thanks for adding to the list Urb; I can't think of too many more. Maybe Jane Maries (pricey) and Guiseppe's in uptown.
Jason's Deli
Chianti
Columbia Cafe
and really good place-Julie Anne's Bakery. Best local kingcake in the area and the chicken salad sandwich is awesome.

Now, can you name anymore?

Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Some good restaurants in Alexandria:

Tunk's Cypress Inn - a popular restaurant located in Kincaid Lake
Cajun Landing
Oriental Wok - a Chinese restaurant with sushi as well
Hana - a Japanese hibachi grill
Lou & Laura's - has po'boys and broasted chicken
Julia's - a Mexican restaurant

There are also a number of good fried seafood restaurants in the area such as Robbie G's and Fant's.

My favorite pizza place is BJ's pizza, which is related to Johnny's Pizza.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:55 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
Some good restaurants in Alexandria:

Tunk's Cypress Inn - a popular restaurant located in Kincaid Lake
Cajun Landing
Oriental Wok - a Chinese restaurant with sushi as well
Hana - a Japanese hibachi grill
Lou & Laura's - has po'boys and broasted chicken
Julia's - a Mexican restaurant

There are also a number of good fried seafood restaurants in the area such as Robbie G's and Fant's.

My favorite pizza place is BJ's pizza, which is related to Johnny's Pizza.
How good (or bad) is Westside BBQ (it's on Jackson near ASH) ? The fact that they had a meat smoker caught my eye, but I rarely see anyone in the parking lot.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 AM

420 posts, read 478,579 times
hmmm, dont you guys just love po'boys though.

Ray Pege's(Monroe) has a roast beef po'boy to die for mmmmmmm. I mean that old atmosphere at an old diner with the blonde watress sayin " So whacha want?" I want the roast beef po'boy with the brown mushroom gravy with curly fries, and she smiles. Because she knows only a real man would order such a succulent meal. That sweet but.....(lol) "buttery" (it really is), po' boy bread just crisp but not toasted, holds my grilled slices of oh my god-like roasted thin sliced beef. But then.....the gravy......, hot, alluring, addicted, it what makes the po-boy rich!! She slowly walk with a slow strut, smiling, winking at me because she knows she about to make me incredible happy. She says, "Heres yo po'boy handsome, shol' hope you enjoy".

I look at my meal, heart pounds, and then.......I go for what is the most amazing pleasure a grown hard working man can ever experience.................... A bite of my po'boy. Im telling you, once I dip that sandwich in that gravy, Its like the next best thing to making love, for some of us anyway. I usually cry when I eat one.

Ladies and gentleman, Ray Pege's!!! The old orginal one on desiard in Monroe down by the bayou, and the new in West Monroe. Gone on down and get you tear-jerking roast beef po'boy, and feel the love all over again.

Come guys, be desriptive tell me about you experience at these restaurants, besides I bet people would much rather hear about how good the food is than the crime, new buildings, or the compare and contrasts. Food in Louisiana is universial, and that goes without sayin.

Now give it up, I want my mouth to water reading these post, mmm its lunch time now, (dam, BRman, pecan praline hush puppies wow, I have got to try those sounds so good, ****!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana