Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 01:40 PM

10 posts, read 43,255 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 and will be graduating from nursing school. I am looking to relocate with my boyfriend to Alexandria. We are an interracial couple, I'm white, he's black and i was wondering how that would be accepted or looked upon in the area. I was also wondering how the area is for people in their 20's. What is the weather like?? is it really buggy and humid all the time, or pretty bearable? I am from Pennsylvania and never lived out of the area, so my questions may sound naive to any locals...and I am naive about it all, haha. Also, the hospital is offering bonuses to come and work there (pretty impressive bonuses i would say with the state being considered a "poor state") Do you think that is for any reason that i should be alerted to related to the area? or just nothing short of the overall "nursing shortage"? Anything you think a younger, northern, small town, innocently naive girl should know before moving would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 03:50 PM

5,037 posts, read 4,351,387 times
As a whole, the Alexandria area is fairly, but not extremely, racist. Some people will accept you, but I would say that a majority of people here frown upon bi-racial couples. If you do decide to move to Alexandria, the urban areas tend to be more racially tolerant than rural areas nearby.

Summers are usually long, hot, and very humid. You will probably find the rest of the year to be much more pleasant.

There is no major nursing shortage that I am aware of. For a city its size (Alexandria has about 50,000 people and the metro is about 150,000), Alexandria has a huge medical industry. There are two major hospitals in the city of Alexandria (Rapides Regional and Christus St. Frances Cabrini). And Pineville has a charity hospital (Huey P. Long) and a VA Hospital. Both Rapides and Cabrini are undergoing huge expansions.

This area is definitely quite conservative as it is located in the Bible Belt. There is a significant Cajun influence, but not as much as areas to the south. Alexandria has plenty of good restaurants and has a mall, but there are not many entertainment options. The economy is strong and the region is growing. I would watch out for crime in certain areas, especially the older sections of Alexandria. Overall, I would consider this is a nice area.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ral31; 04-20-2007 at 04:04 PM..

Old 04-20-2007, 11:07 PM

76 posts, read 507,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
As a whole, the Alexandria area is fairly, but not extremely, racist. Some people will accept you, but I would say that a majority of people here frown upon bi-racial couples. If you do decide to move to Alexandria, the urban areas tend to be more racially tolerant than rural areas nearby.

Summers are usually long, hot, and very humid. You will probably find the rest of the year to be much more pleasant.

There is no major nursing shortage that I am aware of. For a city its size (Alexandria has about 50,000 people and the metro is about 150,000), Alexandria has a huge medical industry. There are two major hospitals in the city of Alexandria (Rapides Regional and Christus St. Frances Cabrini). And Pineville has a charity hospital (Huey P. Long) and a VA Hospital. Both Rapides and Cabrini are undergoing huge expansions.

This area is definitely quite conservative as it is located in the Bible Belt. There is a significant Cajun influence, but not as much as areas to the south. Alexandria has plenty of good restaurants and has a mall, but there are not many entertainment options. The economy is strong and the region is growing. I would watch out for crime in certain areas, especially the older sections of Alexandria. Overall, I would consider this is a nice area.

Hope this helps.
Do you think Alexandria's proximity to Ft. Polk makes it less racist than it would otherwise be?

Old 04-21-2007, 06:29 PM

Fort Polk might have an effect on the level of racism in Alexandria, but I really don't know. Fort Polk is not extremely close to Alexandria (it's about an hour away). Alexandria is still pretty racist, but not overwhelmingly so. Racism is considerably lower than it once was, which is probably the case in most other places. Certainly, some racial tension does exist, both on the parts of blacks and whites. But, in my opinion, the majority of blacks and whites seem to get along with each other. Alexandria is still fairly segregated racially. About half of the city is almost exclusively black. The other half is majority white, with a number of blacks mixed in as well.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 12,178 times
For what its worth, I am black and have lived in the Alexandria area for over 5 years and go to Old Town Alexandria (King St) to shop, eat, etc. just about every weekend and I do not have any complaints about racism. I love the area and I think the people are pretty friendly. Cops are a pain, but I have not been pulled over for no reason (I actually was speeding, etc.) and was never disrespected - except for once, and I think he was a special kind of ____ - that was like 4 years ago. In general, I think its just fine here if you otherwise like the Alexandria lifestyle.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastel31 View Post
For what its worth, I am black and have lived in the Alexandria area for over 5 years and go to Old Town Alexandria (King St) to shop, eat, etc. just about every weekend and I do not have any complaints about racism. I love the area and I think the people are pretty friendly. Cops are a pain, but I have not been pulled over for no reason (I actually was speeding, etc.) and was never disrespected - except for once, and I think he was a special kind of ____ - that was like 4 years ago. In general, I think its just fine here if you otherwise like the Alexandria lifestyle.
Do you mean Alexandria, Louisiana or an Alexandria in another state? There's no such place as Old Town Alexandria or a King St. in Alexandria, LA.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 12,178 times
I meant Alexandria, VA - DC metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana