Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:23 PM

157 posts, read 558,586 times

Advertisements

I know you can't be brand specific so please just use initials. I have heard JD makes the best lawnmower for Louisiana lawns. Need your opinions what to buy. I have to get one this weekend. I think the grass is called St. Augustino or something like that.

Do not want to spend over 2000 with lawn attachment for grass pickup.

Please help with ideas or private message me on specific brands. I was in the shopping center looking at a national dept. chain and 2 people walked up to me and said do not buy a CRAPSMAN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:04 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,413,230 times
Wish I could recommend something for you but I have a push mower. What you need depends upon how your yard is laid out. If you have a lot of things to cut around (trees, bushes, flag pole, etc) then you need one with a zero turn radius. If you can't do routine maintenance yourself then you should look into a service agreement. Changing belts and blades on a riding mower can be very difficult for some people and some models. Will they deliver or do you have some way to bring it home yourself? Do you want to mulch or do you want side discharge? These are things to ask yourself. Something else to consider is the size of the cut. If you don't have a very big yard then go with the smallest cut so you're not buying bigger than you need. If you have a really big yard then a big mower will cut your mowing time. Don't run the mower on high speed when cutting. If you want a smooth even cut then slow down the speed and overlap your path so that most of the mower is on the non-cut side and a small part is in the side already cut. Wheels flaten grass and they don't always get cut. Passing over like this will increase the possibilty of getting most if it cut. Mulching is good for the lawn but is a pain with long grass. My push mower can be switched back to side discharge for when the grass is long. Get yourself an air compressor. You'll need it to keep the mower tires properly inflated. Make that thing last by keeping it in a dry storage shed and performing routine maintenance every season. Even something as simple as changing/sharpening blades, changing plugs, changing oil, and changing or cleaning the air filter will keep it running great for many years to come. I was a teenager cutting grass with a riding mower as one of my many chores so I got familiar with riding mowers in the 1980s. Gee, whatever happened to parents handing out chores to their children? I was cutting grass at 8 years old! My chores also included vacuuming my room, dusting, cleaning the tub and toilet, and washing dishes. By the time my sister was big enough to reach the sink, they'd gotten a dishwasher.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,667,635 times
I would only recommend a Cratfsman for a small yard. My yard is pretty small and I use a smaller JD.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:14 AM

Going out to buy today. I appreciate all your input. Will either get the JD or CM Just curious had local service is if one needs assistance on upkeep of both CM and JD

B

Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 AM

806 posts, read 2,951,607 times
Get the zero-turn radius model. Its pretty cool.

Change your location to from Califorina to Louisiana!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,137,217 times
I've had JD, F. and CM. Overall I had much better luck with JD, and local repair, too. Go directly to the dealer and not the seller at the mall.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:15 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,465,071 times
Riding mowers are designed to cut grass. They don't know, or care, where that grass is or what kind it is. Do you really think there's a specific brand made just to cut Louisiana grass?

Go get a Craftsman from Sears. They're good, dependable mowers (I've had several), modestly priced AND Sears should be supported because of this: When one of their employees in the National Guard or Reserves is called to active duty, they make up the difference in pay and pay for the family's health care.

That alone is worth buying at Sears.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks for all your advice. I went out and bought a Snapper today from a local merchant instead of a Chain store. THought I would help boost the local economy.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post
Thanks for all your advice. I went out and bought a Snapper today from a local merchant instead of a Chain store. THought I would help boost the local economy.
Never heard of this brand but good job shopping local!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Riding mowers are designed to cut grass. They don't know, or care, where that grass is or what kind it is. Do you really think there's a specific brand made just to cut Louisiana grass?
No sense in being a douche.. that's my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana