U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 12:18 AM

430 posts, read 349,127 times

Advertisements

ummm......Im from Monroe and trust....there no spanish moss in Texas, there no low elevation in Texas, I cant get a good no spicy food in texas. Get on with that, North Louisiana is more urban and political than the old school south Louisiana, the people live life as if they stayed in villages.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-03-2009, 09:43 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,214,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
ummm......Im from Monroe and trust....there no spanish moss in Texas, there no low elevation in Texas, I cant get a good no spicy food in texas. Get on with that, North Louisiana is more urban and political than the old school south Louisiana, the people live life as if they stayed in villages.
More urban than south Louisiana? Really?

Please explain.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:11 AM

4 posts, read 18,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post

Please explain.
IM with Metro please explain this on...Cant wait to hear this

Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 PM

35 posts, read 122,336 times
I'm with the above posters as well... how is monroe more "urban"?

But to answer your question....
North La is rednecks
South La is coon a%^#es

Completely different imo. I live in north LA, but work shutdown work so i'm down south all the time. I guess it's my second home. Food is better in south la. More stuff to do in south la. If you like hunting and riding 4 wheelers and stuff, that is about north la has to offer.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post

Please explain.
Well, outside of Baton Rouge and maybe a percentage of Baton Rouge, southern Louisiana seems "old school". The cultures are old and more efforts go on perserving it than living it. Whenever I go down south Louisiana, and I'm going to get creamed for saying this but, whenever I go to southern Louisiana, I feel slightly.....more informed, enlighten,......."intelligent" than the average southern Louisiana native.

I say that because, Southern Louisiana seems disconnected from the rest of the country and always under the influence of the intoxicated cultures and customs that comes with those people and just living down there period.

You wont hear much about things that the rest of the nation may know, everythings just Lafayette, Lafayette, Lafayette or New Orleans, New Orleans, New Orleans, or any other city with that strong so.LA culture This limits everything they are and what they can be as an area. If you stay within your current state of being which is....."old school". "historic", "non - modern"......one can make the conclusion that you are less urban than your average American outside of Southern Louisiana.

Now though we arent as ......"cultured" as far as immigrational customs and ways, North Louisiana stays urban and modern, more up to date on things because we are in more in tune with the rest of the nation. You can absolutely see that in Shreveport/Bossier. You get a sense of America when you are in shreveport, not France, Arcadia, Spain, or Pre-Euro America. That causes confusion when you sponge up all that Southern Louisiana culture and then look on T.V. or......(he, he) city-data forum California, you begin to ask yourself, "Am I like, part of the USA or what.. Just like they did when they cant figure out why our government failed when Katrina hit.

North Louisiana is more traditional, more modern, and more urban because when it boils down to all those foreign cultures of all those countries, the one that matters the most, you are the weak in it, American culture.

oh yea Baton Rouge you get it too. Though you may seem like the exception to my theory but due to the fact you have to balance the American way with the slightly heavier Southern Louisiana way, you are just as urbanly weak as the rest of that half of Louisiana.

Have fun with that Metro B.R.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,214,665 times
Quote:
Well, outside of Baton Rouge and maybe a percentage of Baton Rouge, southern Louisiana seems "old school". The cultures are old and more efforts go on perserving it than living it. Whenever I go down south Louisiana, and I'm going to get creamed for saying this but, whenever I go to southern Louisiana, I feel slightly.....more informed, enlighten,......."intelligent" than the average southern Louisiana native.

I say that because, Southern Louisiana seems disconnected from the rest of the country and always under the influence of the intoxicated cultures and customs that comes with those people and just living down there period.

You wont hear much about things that the rest of the nation may know, everythings just Lafayette, Lafayette, Lafayette or New Orleans, New Orleans, New Orleans, or any other city with that strong so.LA culture This limits everything they are and what they can be as an area. If you stay within your current state of being which is....."old school". "historic", "non - modern"......one can make the conclusion that you are less urban than your average American outside of Southern Louisiana.

Now though we arent as ......"cultured" as far as immigrational customs and ways, North Louisiana stays urban and modern, more up to date on things because we are in more in tune with the rest of the nation. You can absolutely see that in Shreveport/Bossier. You get a sense of America when you are in shreveport, not France, Arcadia, Spain, or Pre-Euro America. That causes confusion when you sponge up all that Southern Louisiana culture and then look on T.V. or......(he, he) city-data forum California, you begin to ask yourself, "Am I like, part of the USA or what.. Just like they did when they cant figure out why our government failed when Katrina hit.

North Louisiana is more traditional, more modern, and more urban because when it boils down to all those foreign cultures of all those countries, the one that matters the most, you are the weak in it, American culture.

oh yea Baton Rouge you get it too. Though you may seem like the exception to my theory but due to the fact you have to balance the American way with the slightly heavier Southern Louisiana way, you are just as urbanly weak as the rest of that half of Louisiana.

Have fun with that Metro B.R.
Wow, not fun, but funny.

First of all, nothing that you said is relevant to being urban--

Urban-(adjective)
1.of, pertaining to, or designating a city or town.
2.living in a city.
3.characteristic of or accustomed to cities; citified: He is an urban type.

I'm not even sure how you figure we're less urban.

We have:
1) Larger population
2) Larger cities. While Shreveport itself is about 200,000, that metro is still a few thousand short of 400,000. South La has New Orleans (1.2 million after Katrina) and Baton Rouge a few thousand short of 800,000.
3) More metropolitan areas.
4) Larger, more well-known Universities with more students from abroad.
5) Airports with more non-stop flights.
6) A few of the largest ports in the world
7) More tourists (i.e. people from elsewhere)
8) More national attention (thanks for nothing, Katrina and Rita)

Even if we do have a seperate culture from the rest of the country, that in no way, shape, or form affects urbanity.

People in New York City or Los Angeles may not share similar values with the good residents of North Lousiana, so does that make them less urban?? I don't follow that logic.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:11 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,463,471 times
Oh wow, this is...... for lack of a better word, entertaining. Wow!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Oh wow, this is...... for lack of a better word, entertaining. Wow!
As....always huh!!!

Ok MetroBR, I use the wrong terminology, so I'll be direct......

When it comes to being more "in tune" with the majority of the nation as far as......maybe the standard of America, North Louisiana many have the upper hand due to deeply roouted passion for the older cultures of Louisiana. Whether its the "good ole boy", confederate, cajun, creole, arcadian, canadian, indian, whatever.........Its what I think is a major distraction as far as keeping Louisiana fitted for a United State. Im pretty sure you have heard many people say South Louisiana is like a whole other country. Some people compare New Orleans sometimes to a 3rd world country. The ways of southern Louisiana are so distant to what the rest of the country is doing and you can say that from almost all aspects.

But....as you go up a little to the north, things tend to....relax, as if they turn blue. Blue is a calming color isnt it?

You can read a paper as Ohio native in North Louisiana and say "ok, I can relate to this" The issues we have up North Louisiana can be compared to the rest of the nation. Now I have heard this before and maybe someone in here remembers it..........."North Louisiana is more Americana and more traditional south".....can you disagree with that. If that stands correct, then wouldnt this debate be like the whole Americana/Traditional south v. Southern Louisiana? Is that stands correct, wouldnt that mean the population our area is more......urban?

Thank about it, which highway is travels more by Americans, I-10 or I -20?
We(North Louisiana) are expose to the likes of travelers going to Atlanta, Dallas, Jackson, Birmingham, Little Rock, Memphis.........whats on I-10 in comparision as far as urban areas Houston and Mobile........anything esle you would be in the Mexico and the Gulf....and thats not the USA.

Draw a big circle centering Louisiana on the map and see who has the most urban areas near by. But thats besides the main fact, the point is the AVERAGE people in those non Louisiana urban areas can find relation in North Louisiana, making us more urbane and urban. Even outside that circle we would still relate to GA, AL, MS, AR, TX. Compare to South Louisiana's: Beaumount to Biloxi. (booooooo,less urban) Lets just face it its just Southern Louisiana against the world!!

The average American can relate more to this area(north Louisiana) better than they can South Louisiana. Our ways up here can be seen all across the Southern region of the USA, but southern Louisiana......only the coastal area and maybe the Mardi Gras parade.

And with that said.....we are more urban because the population of people who share the same traditional, southern cultures as North Louisiana is more abundant than the ....population of people who adopt....um.....foreign ways of South Louisiana. LESS URBAN, and URBANE, or should I say more naive. HAA!

P.s. (lol) dont, try and shoot me down, I make good points and very logic, im just as foreign with my words as Kenner, LA. Besides, how do you guys know im not a 16 yr girl who just wants to be appreciated. Im sensitive

Old 11-05-2009, 07:54 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,463,471 times
Quote:
As....always huh!!!

Ok MetroBR, I use the wrong terminology, so I'll be direct......

When it comes to being more "in tune" with the majority of the nation as far as......maybe the standard of America, North Louisiana many have the upper hand due to deeply roouted passion for the older cultures of Louisiana. Whether its the "good ole boy", confederate, cajun, creole, arcadian, canadian, indian, whatever.........Its what I think is a major distraction as far as keeping Louisiana fitted for a United State. Im pretty sure you have heard many people say South Louisiana is like a whole other country. Some people compare New Orleans sometimes to a 3rd world country. The ways of southern Louisiana are so distant to what the rest of the country is doing and you can say that from almost all aspects.

But....as you go up a little to the north, things tend to....relax, as if they turn blue. Blue is a calming color isnt it?

You can read a paper as Ohio native in North Louisiana and say "ok, I can relate to this" The issues we have up North Louisiana can be compared to the rest of the nation. Now I have heard this before and maybe someone in here remembers it..........."North Louisiana is more Americana and more traditional south".....can you disagree with that. If that stands correct, then wouldnt this debate be like the whole Americana/Traditional south v. Southern Louisiana? Is that stands correct, wouldnt that mean the population our area is more......urban?

Thank about it, which highway is travels more by Americans, I-10 or I -20?
We(North Louisiana) are expose to the likes of travelers going to Atlanta, Dallas, Jackson, Birmingham, Little Rock, Memphis.........whats on I-10 in comparision as far as urban areas Houston and Mobile........anything esle you would be in the Mexico and the Gulf....and thats not the USA.

Draw a big circle centering Louisiana on the map and see who has the most urban areas near by. But thats besides the main fact, the point is the AVERAGE people in those non Louisiana urban areas can find relation in North Louisiana, making us more urbane and urban. Even outside that circle we would still relate to GA, AL, MS, AR, TX. Compare to South Louisiana's: Beaumount to Biloxi. (booooooo,less urban) Lets just face it its just Southern Louisiana against the world!!

The average American can relate more to this area(north Louisiana) better than they can South Louisiana. Our ways up here can be seen all across the Southern region of the USA, but southern Louisiana......only the coastal area and maybe the Mardi Gras parade.

And with that said.....we are more urban because the population of people who share the same traditional, southern cultures as North Louisiana is more abundant than the ....population of people who adopt....um.....foreign ways of South Louisiana. LESS URBAN, and URBANE, or should I say more naive. HAA!

P.s. (lol) dont, try and shoot me down, I make good points and very logic, im just as foreign with my words as Kenner, LA. Besides, how do you guys know im not a 16 yr girl who just wants to be appreciated. Im sensitive
If it's in bold I agree with it. With everything else, get the...

Agree with the Mainstream v. S. Louisiana deal, but when I think of urban I think of New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner or Baton Rouge's sprawling metro, maybe Lafayette, then Shreveport-Bossier. As far as modern, Baton Rouge has to be the most modern city in the state right now, with Lafayette right behind in terms of development. I mean when I think of modern I think of places where everything is becoming shiney and new or strip malls, etc.

I-20 actually dead ends at I-10 in TX so that's . I-10 is twice as busy as I-20 on a national level anyway. Drive rural 20 and compare to rural 10, big difference.

It's like N. Louisiana is your generic American South with a little S. Louisiana splashed in somewhere. The western end is like Texas and the eastern end is like Mississippi. When you get down south you have Acadiana (Lafayette - Lake Charles?), Baton Rouge, Florida Parishes (Northshore), River Parishes, New Orleans, and the Houma-Thibodaux area. All more or less distinct areas that are different from each other (and all think each other is strange), the rest of the U.S., and N. LA.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
If it's in bold I agree with it. With everything else, get the...

Agree with the Mainstream v. S. Louisiana deal, but when I think of urban I think of New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner or Baton Rouge's sprawling metro, maybe Lafayette, then Shreveport-Bossier. As far as modern, Baton Rouge has to be the most modern city in the state right now, with Lafayette right behind in terms of development. I mean when I think of modern I think of places where everything is becoming shiney and new or strip malls, etc.

I-20 actually dead ends at I-10 in TX so that's . I-10 is twice as busy as I-20 on a national level anyway. Drive rural 20 and compare to rural 10, big difference.

It's like N. Louisiana is your generic American South with a little S. Louisiana splashed in somewhere. The western end is like Texas and the eastern end is like Mississippi. When you get down south you have Acadiana (Lafayette - Lake Charles?), Baton Rouge, Florida Parishes (Northshore), River Parishes, New Orleans, and the Houma-Thibodaux area. All more or less distinct areas that are different from each other (and all think each other is strange), the rest of the U.S., and N. LA.
You sorta, kinda hit my point. But answer this, Does which Hwy gets the most out of state traffic daily, I-20 or I-10? Im very familar with the traffic of I-10 but its more local, which means it still caters and favors to more of Louisiana rather than anyother area. I-20 will see just as much out of state traffic as local traffic, which means more exposure to this area maybe, more outside opinon, and outside influence in which a twisted Louisiana could use.

The shiney and new strip malls part....? Maybe, but is that modern when other states already had that 10 yrs ago and we just now getting that? I saw in one thread that someone was excited about getting an I-hop in Lafayettte, as well as a super Target? How long has those places existed?

Shreveport blows the doors off of Lafayette if we go with your definition of modern. Lafayette is only a couple steps ahead of Alexandria, Monroe, and Lake Charles. Lafayette is only more popular than those cities because of the famous culture. You look at any map, you going to see all those cities before you see Lafayette because those other cities I are far more relavant as far as there geographical position. Lafayette gets overshadowed and is only a shadow by the benefits of Baton Rouge, who is more dominant in that geographical area.

Shreveport/Bossier to me is the most modern city in Louisiana. Almost 3-4 major projects go up each year there. The big deal Command Center is moving extremely fast, portion of the buildings is already completed. Its new things in opposite of the southern Louisiana city who thrive off historic culture. Baton Rouge could be way more modern but it has to balance historic culture with modern america, which is why they are so slow when it comes to the more "shiney, strip mall" stuff you talking about

.......i gotta go to work.dammit, i gotta palm pre though....to be continued!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or