U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-05-2009, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,214,665 times
Reputation: 656

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
As....always huh!!!

Ok MetroBR, I use the wrong terminology, so I'll be direct......

When it comes to being more "in tune" with the majority of the nation as far as......maybe the standard of America, North Louisiana many have the upper hand due to deeply roouted passion for the older cultures of Louisiana. Whether its the "good ole boy", confederate, cajun, creole, arcadian, canadian, indian, whatever.........Its what I think is a major distraction as far as keeping Louisiana fitted for a United State. Im pretty sure you have heard many people say South Louisiana is like a whole other country. Some people compare New Orleans sometimes to a 3rd world country. The ways of southern Louisiana are so distant to what the rest of the country is doing and you can say that from almost all aspects.

But....as you go up a little to the north, things tend to....relax, as if they turn blue. Blue is a calming color isnt it?

You can read a paper as Ohio native in North Louisiana and say "ok, I can relate to this" The issues we have up North Louisiana can be compared to the rest of the nation. Now I have heard this before and maybe someone in here remembers it..........."North Louisiana is more Americana and more traditional south".....can you disagree with that. If that stands correct, then wouldnt this debate be like the whole Americana/Traditional south v. Southern Louisiana? Is that stands correct, wouldnt that mean the population our area is more......urban?

Thank about it, which highway is travels more by Americans, I-10 or I -20?
We(North Louisiana) are expose to the likes of travelers going to Atlanta, Dallas, Jackson, Birmingham, Little Rock, Memphis.........whats on I-10 in comparision as far as urban areas Houston and Mobile........anything esle you would be in the Mexico and the Gulf....and thats not the USA.

Draw a big circle centering Louisiana on the map and see who has the most urban areas near by. But thats besides the main fact, the point is the AVERAGE people in those non Louisiana urban areas can find relation in North Louisiana, making us more urbane and urban. Even outside that circle we would still relate to GA, AL, MS, AR, TX. Compare to South Louisiana's: Beaumount to Biloxi. (booooooo,less urban) Lets just face it its just Southern Louisiana against the world!!

The average American can relate more to this area(north Louisiana) better than they can South Louisiana. Our ways up here can be seen all across the Southern region of the USA, but southern Louisiana......only the coastal area and maybe the Mardi Gras parade.

And with that said.....we are more urban because the population of people who share the same traditional, southern cultures as North Louisiana is more abundant than the ....population of people who adopt....um.....foreign ways of South Louisiana. LESS URBAN, and URBANE, or should I say more naive. HAA!

P.s. (lol) dont, try and shoot me down, I make good points and very logic, im just as foreign with my words as Kenner, LA. Besides, how do you guys know im not a 16 yr girl who just wants to be appreciated. Im sensitive
Wrong terminology=completely wrong word, unrelated to the point you are trying to get across.

North Louisiana=more relatable to Southern Baptist culture...but other than that.

How many Ohio transplants do you have up there these days, anyway? I'm willing to bet there are a heck of alot more in New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

You go on to underestimate the Gulf Coast, which has a total population of around 13 Million, according to the University of Virginia, an area considered a developing Megalopolis (i.e. BosWash and the like).

I think you are also confused as to where 1-10 begins and terminates. I-10 stretches from Los Angeles to Jacksonville. Connecting I-5 to I-95. Major metros along the route (with over 1 million) include Los Angeles (17 million), Phoenix (4.2 Million), Tucson (1 million), El Paso-Juarez (2 million), San Antonio (2 million), Houston (5.7 million), New Orleans (1.2 million), and Jacksonville (1.3 million). After that I don't even have to mention the back to back to back smaller metros.

I-20 has Atlanta(5.6 million), Birmingham(1.1 million), and Dallas (6 million)

In West Texas, all I-20 traffic funnels onto I-10. I-20 in Louisiana also (for now) only has one interchange with another interstate highway route, not counting the 220 in Shreveport, and that is 1-49, which only goes to (you guessed it) I-10.

Just because you say it does not make it true. I-10/I-12 through Louisiana is widely-known to be one of the busiest interstate routes in the country.

You also seem to have ignored what I pointed out about the universities in south Louisiana. LSU, Tulane, and Loyola are destination universities for students all over the country and the globe.

Southeast Louisiana is extremely modern, and I believe the future of this state centers on the Florida parishes. With Baton Rouge rapidly expanding farther east and New Orleans expanding farther north, this region is poised for heavy population and economic growth, alot of which is already being realized. Livingston and St. Tammany are the fastest growing parishes in the state. St. Tammany especially is recieving spillover industry and companies from New Orleans. And In Livingston, you have the LIGO facility that is dedicated to finding gravitational wave activity. As soon as they do register gravitational waves, it will become a scientific research hotspot. But don't take my word for it, wait and see. And after all that I forgot to mention very popular and rapidly expanding Southeastern Louisiana University, whose proximity to these expanding populations guarantees future growth and success.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-05-2009, 01:45 PM
 
4 posts, read 18,819 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
You sorta, kinda hit my point. But answer this, Does which Hwy gets the most out of state traffic daily, I-20 or I-10? Im very familar with the traffic of I-10 but its more local, which means it still caters and favors to more of Louisiana rather than anyother area. I-20 will see just as much out of state traffic as local traffic, which means more exposure to this area maybe, more outside opinon, and outside influence in which a twisted Louisiana could use.

The shiney and new strip malls part....? Maybe, but is that modern when other states already had that 10 yrs ago and we just now getting that? I saw in one thread that someone was excited about getting an I-hop in Lafayettte, as well as a super Target? How long has those places existed?

Shreveport blows the doors off of Lafayette if we go with your definition of modern. Lafayette is only a couple steps ahead of Alexandria, Monroe, and Lake Charles. Lafayette is only more popular than those cities because of the famous culture. You look at any map, you going to see all those cities before you see Lafayette because those other cities I are far more relavant as far as there geographical position. Lafayette gets overshadowed and is only a shadow by the benefits of Baton Rouge, who is more dominant in that geographical area.

Shreveport/Bossier to me is the most modern city in Louisiana. Almost 3-4 major projects go up each year there. The big deal Command Center is moving extremely fast, portion of the buildings is already completed. Its new things in opposite of the southern Louisiana city who thrive off historic culture. Baton Rouge could be way more modern but it has to balance historic culture with modern america, which is why they are so slow when it comes to the more "shiney, strip mall" stuff you talking about


.......i gotta go to work.dammit, i gotta palm pre though....to be continued!!
Louisiana Legend im sorry but your off on this one by a mile...First of all your definition of urban is all messed up. Urban can be a state of mind, as well as describing a citys dwellings or the feel of a city. When I think of urban I think of citys where you can live and shop and have social gatherings without driving long distances or having to travel far to experience interacting with other people.. There are cities in the United states to me that dont have a urban feel even though there population are in the millions. Cities that have suberbs poping out all around itself are not ubran cities. Of Course the most popular cities with a urban feel are places like NYC(of course) Philadelphia, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington D.C San Franciso...These are youre protype "Urban Cities"...There are more examples of cites and areas that are urban too that are not as big or popular... Now your saying N Louisiana is more Urban? Every state has its traditionally urban areas and rural areas.. Both South Louisiana and North Louisiana have them. The two major cities in the north are Shreveport and Monroe. The rest of that part of the state is rural.. Shreveport has had improvements. Barksdale AFB helps that city out alot along with with other industries.. Monroe has also improved.. But do you really think N Louisiana is the only part of the state to experience any growth in projects, or anything positive for its area??? If you do I would have to say you are kind of silly..There is no way N Louisiana is more urban then S. Louisisna. You have way more rural areas then the South. Less populated cities, even the small towns in S Louisiana are more developed then the North.. I feel that North Louisiana is behind times when I travel. It reminds me of parts of Mississippi( which I hate) Arkansas, and E texas..Its way to much good ol boy for my taste. But that doesnt mean I dont respect my people that happend to live on that side of our state.

Now you also said more modern?? Another bad point by YOU.. Just because S Louisiana has culture do you really think its fair to say where not modern?? Culture will always be down here.. You said where stuck in are ways??? So what do you want us to do legend?: Change our accents, eat hamburgers everyday, stop going to mass and revert to southern baptist, dont celebrate Mardi Gras, tell tourist not to come visit because we want to fit in with traditonal Sothern America( whatever that is ) Stop listing to zydecco, blues, jazz and go buy a tim McGraw cd(even though he's good as what he does no disrespect) im mean come on?? There are new developments popping up everywhere, but we still cherish those old buildings and churchs and shops french creole and cajun people.. Because we like to remember where we came from. We have a rich history. Alot of us have ancesters from all around the world, can we not be proud of that??? You said traditonal America you say? Think of every popular place in America.. Southern Cali,Texas (spanish influence) Northern pacific coast(Asian,canadian) S. Floirda(spanish, caribbean) East coast(european, middle eastern,) so with that said what is Tradional America??? You also said I-20 sees more of a differnent variety of travlers??? Do you realize I-10 is the second most traveled highway behind I-95?? It goes from 1 coast to another. You really cant be serious.. Dont try to mix up modern and culture...No matter how modern a city is to me it has nothing to do with its culture..

I also read you say something about Shreveport blows lafayette away in being modern. I dont know about that one. The two cities are not that far ahead of each if you ask me. Sheveport has a way better infrastructure and is bigger in population. But there is nothing special about shereveport to say it blows any other city away. It still has a while to go just like every other city in our state has a while to go.. Lafayette is #2 in the nation for places to conduct buiness for mid size cities do your research. And I heard you say you read on a post that someone from Lafayette got excited because we got a I hop and a Super Target...Apparently you dont really understand what you heard. Lafayette already has a Super Target, and 2 I-Hops which are on the Southside of town. They have recently opened up a second Super Target and a 3rd Ihop on the North Side of town.. Since you dont know anything about Lafayette you automatically assumed they where happy about getting there first Super Target and I Hop.. People that live on the North Side love the news of anything opening on its side of town . Because the N Side has long been skipped on projects and new develpments. And not everyone likes to drive to the Southside for everything... Im sorry legend but it just sounds like to me you have a problem with S Louisiana, you have called New Orleans a 3rd world country on many differnet occasions. New Oreleans has its poor areas and slummy areas too. But your being way to harsh with your choice of words. That is one of the most beautiful cities in world to me, and im sure im not alone thinking that. Im sorry there poorer areas dont look like Sherevport or Monroe's(lol love your logic) And Baton Rouge is the most modern city in our state because of the storms.. The population jumped so high and fast in Baton Rouge, the state had to keep up with that growth, so alot of new areas where built up from the ground up in BR which made it the most Modern. Sherevport is not the most modern but is a good city in our state...Come on Legend stop making Bias post and speak facts sorry you dont like us down here but we still like you ok lol
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,430,262 times
Reputation: 1829
Dont they shoot movies in Shreveport now?..isnt that supposed to be like the next "Hollywood" or whatever? IDK
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,214,665 times
Reputation: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Dont they shoot movies in Shreveport now?..isnt that supposed to be like the next "Hollywood" or whatever? IDK
I am SO very happy that you brought this up. There is a movie being filmed just down the street from my place of business as we type. It is (supposed) to be a big blockbuster along the lines of War of the Worlds. They're calling it Battle: Los Angles or something like that. Other major films in past years that were filmed largely in the Baton Rouge area were The Reaping, and the Dukes of Hazzard remake.

New Orleans is even more popular with mainstream film making and I would put money on it that it is one of the more popular places for making independent films.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Surprise, AZ
5 posts, read 20,502 times
Reputation: 14
I grew up in the Lafayette area and just left Shreveport after living there for a few years and I have to say, the southern part is way better, but I still like the northern part. Now I live in AZ and hoping to one day go back to LA. I miss having grass in my yard!!!!!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,463,471 times
Reputation: 1419
Legend, I think you should plan an extensive visit to Baton Rouge and New Orleans. You should really see the developments in both cities. Note: I said shiny new and strip malls, not shiny and new strip malls.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 AM
 
Location: Monroe!
430 posts, read 349,127 times
Reputation: 216
......Let me start off by saying I do repect all of your opinions, love the juicy inside info, and the fact that im dealing very informative "Jeopardy" championship leved potentialed fellow members of this forum. Good stuff, good stuff. But.............please, lets not always try to shut Legend down, lets all try to reason at least a little bit ..."concur" a little shall......alright ok.

Now, I agree with each and every one of you........but, are we all being truely honest with ourselves or just playing lawyers who are trying defend our O.J. Simpson like subjects?

I just mad back to back trips to Lafayette and Shreveport and sure enough theres a difference. The difference can be sumed up as one is Modern, Americana, and traditional, and maybe based on what I gathered from most your post, the more urban(Shreveport).....the other Historic, Culture, Preserved, and caters to more or the area people(Lafayette). Im starting to do my traveling again, and everytime I hit a cities of my specific interest, I do a very extensive visit. I did just that with these two cities and conclude on one is more urban/modern and one is cultured and historic.

Just off visiting these two cities I gathered my facts along with what I understand are true facts about North and South Louisiana. Heres a different way to look at it guys, "If you were travel across the USA in what is understood a true urban areas, How many Shreveport-like cities would you find vs Lafayette, La - like cities? Bias or not, its its obviously going to be Shreveport due to the one of a kind cultures of Lafayette and the vicinity.

I loved Lafayette, still amazed by the cathedral, jefferson st, the homes, the people, etc, but lets face it, it would be a complete turn around from the average American to go there and adapt vs. what they can do in Shreveport.

Now as far as the I-20/I-10 debate...........one thing stuck out from that post MetroBTR wrote.......What does Los Angles, Phoenix, Tuscon, El - Paso involvement on I-10 has to do with S.Louisiana's everyday life? Those people will rarely come to that area unless USC goes to the Sugar Bowl or something. If they had business in that region area they would move closer it, so it doesnt makes since to invole them coming through S.Louisiana. I understand Houston, I'll give you San Antonio for I- 20 sense I'll involve Memphis with I-20, New Orleans doesn't count because its within the state, but not Jacksonville because with they're population, they shouldnt have any business coming this way for hardly anything, if they needed to go outward somewhere, they'd probaby got to Orlando or Tampa, maybe even ATL(I-20). My argument was which area(Nth or Sth LA) with those urban cities only in Louisiana's vicinity that has the greater influence and impact between those two parts of the state. N. Louisiana, two reason why: the convience and n. Louisiana is more receptive of the more traditional ways of urban American cities in the south. Which is why Shreveport/Bossier - Ruston - Monroe are more modern/urban than the likes of the I-10 ancient historic bunch.

I love S. Louisiana for the same reason other people love it, but dont you think sometimes your old ways hinder you from the benefits that other states have(lol, N. Louisiana has.....hehe)? I mean sure LSU, Tulane, Loyola, Xavier are sexy and seductive, but those universities are like prostitutes of Louisiana they way they get payed for, get service, and driven away from by out of state folks who dont want to have nothing to do with Louisiana after college, as far as dealing with the laws and career jobs.

S. Louisiana is a playhouse to me, fun & excitement, a big amusement park with fun historic facts. With the food, festivals, and big events sure, yay....we like that. Add your restaurants, apartments, wal-marts and targets but...........as long as the mindset of people still strong holds that culture/history.....there is little room for a more modern Louisiana..........unless you go up North, where theres room for improvement, Dallas influences, Jackson, MS struggling economy knows about Monroe and vicinitys new job growth, Arkansas never really had a presence in anything except retirement and country music so the youth may look this way.

Hate to add this but lets not forget the threat and fear disappearing shore lines and hurricanes affects the growth also in Southern Louisiana.

Im going to end my post with a bold and entertaining speech:

I love my Louisiana, I do, I do, I do. From the country ol' North Louisiana to the cultural S.Louisiana, i do love you so. But as much as we as residents love you , the rest of the country still knows the bad about you still outweighs the good. New Orleans and Baton Rouge will get the first blame having the overall bearing the heart and soul of Louisiana. Hardly anything has changed as far as politics, civil rights, and most of all "city to region" segregation. The nation knows this and will hold this over the state's head as long as the problem exist. S. Louisiana has shown very little progress as far as changing its ways due to the childlike teddy bear grasp on its own culture and law of the land. It is because of that reason that Louisiana will overall be less respected, and the blame goes to S. Louisiana since you give the whole state its identity.

But in the mist of letting the good times roll and the clearing of flooded waters comes hope. There is a part of Louisiana that serves as botox for this state. There is a part of Louisiana that welcomes the ways of Uncle Sam in for help. Theres is a part of Louisiana that serve as hope in giving Louisiana a fighting chance in working its way up to the being that respected state. That area is known as........NORTH LOUISIANA. North Louisiana provides the state with connections from the seemingly outside world known as the United States of America to where we can allow Louisiana to become more modern, more up to date. and buttery. so lets all chant in victory: North Louisiana, North Louisiana, North Louisiana.

......NORTH Louisiana.......the savior of our state

(........i thank I over did it, but.....point still got across, i hope)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-06-2009, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Monroe!
430 posts, read 349,127 times
Reputation: 216
.......^^^read with caution ^^^ legend, proofread or retire from writing mass post because your editing is terrible........geez
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-06-2009, 08:47 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,463,471 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
The difference can be sumed up as one is Modern, Americana, and traditional, and maybe based on what I gathered from most your post, the more urban(Shreveport).....the other Historic, Culture, Preserved, and caters to more or the area people(Lafayette). Im starting to do my traveling again, and everytime I hit a cities of my specific interest, I do a very extensive visit. I did just that with these two cities and conclude on one is more urban/modern and one is cultured and historic.
What are your definitions of modern and urban???

Quote:
"If you were travel across the USA in what is understood a true urban areas, How many Shreveport-like cities would you find vs Lafayette, La - like cities? Bias or not, its its obviously going to be Shreveport due to the one of a kind cultures of Lafayette and the vicinity.
The only two that I can think of are Jackson and Little Rock, maybe Memphis.

Quote:
lets face it, it would be a complete turn around from the average American to go there and adapt vs. what they can do in Shreveport.
O.K., now tell me what can I do in Shreveport (N. Louisiana) that I can't in Lafayette (S. Louisiana). Now, flip that and tell me what can I do in Lafayette that I can't do in Shreveport.

Quote:
Now as far as the I-20/I-10 debate...........one thing stuck out from that post MetroBTR wrote.......What does Los Angles, Phoenix, Tuscon, El - Paso involvement on I-10 has to do with S.Louisiana's everyday life? Those people will rarely come to that area unless USC goes to the Sugar Bowl or something. If they had business in that region area they would move closer it, so it doesnt makes since to invole them coming through S.Louisiana. I understand Houston, I'll give you San Antonio for I- 20 sense I'll involve Memphis with I-20, New Orleans doesn't count because its within the state, but not Jacksonville because with they're population, they shouldnt have any business coming this way for hardly anything, if they needed to go outward somewhere, they'd probaby got to Orlando or Tampa, maybe even ATL(I-20). My argument was which area(Nth or Sth LA) with those urban cities only in Louisiana's vicinity that has the greater influence and impact between those two parts of the state. N. Louisiana, two reason why: the convience and n. Louisiana is more receptive of the more traditional ways of urban American cities in the south. Which is why Shreveport/Bossier - Ruston - Monroe are more modern/urban than the likes of the I-10 ancient historic bunch.
Anything that is moving from coast to coast will travel I-10/I-12 through Louisiana, unless it needs to go to Atlanta. Usually if it needs to go higher up than Atlanta, it will hit I-40 and bypass Louisiana all together.

Make up your mind. first you said that I-20 brings more outsiders, now it's all about how it affects locals. Since you want to talk convenience, did you not realize the I-12 is almost completely developed. I'm talking an almost 90 mile stretch of developed interstate. In a 190 mile stretch I-20 only serves major points of Shreveport-Bossier, Ruston, and Monroe. In about 240 miles, I-10/I-12 serves Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Hammond, Mandeville, New Orleans, Covington, and Slidell. Now, talk convenience.

Quote:
I love S. Louisiana for the same reason other people love it, but dont you think sometimes your old ways hinder you from the benefits that other states have(lol, N. Louisiana has.....hehe)?
I really thought we had more benefits than N. Louisiana.

Quote:
S. Louisiana is a playhouse to me, fun & excitement, a big amusement park with fun historic facts. With the food, festivals, and big events sure, yay....we like that. Add your restaurants, apartments, wal-marts and targets but...........as long as the mindset of people still strong holds that culture/history.....there is little room for a more modern Louisiana..........unless you go up North, where theres room for improvement, Dallas influences, Jackson, MS struggling economy knows about Monroe and vicinitys new job growth, Arkansas never really had a presence in anything except retirement and country music so the youth may look this way.
What is modern in your opinion?

Jackson is the crossroad. Everything north of Jackson is influenced by Dallas, Memphis and Atlanta. Everything south of Jackson is influenced by Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Houston. Jackson is a combo of all 6, but naturally it's original culture, location, and geography make it appear most like Shreveport.

Quote:
Hate to add this but lets not forget the threat and fear disappearing shore lines and hurricanes affects the growth also in Southern Louisiana.
Yet S. Louisiana is still growing faster than N. Louisiana.

Quote:
Im going to end my post with a bold and entertaining speech:

I love my Louisiana, I do, I do, I do. From the country ol' North Louisiana to the cultural S.Louisiana, i do love you so. But as much as we as residents love you , the rest of the country still knows the bad about you still outweighs the good. New Orleans and Baton Rouge will get the first blame having the overall bearing the heart and soul of Louisiana. Hardly anything has changed as far as politics, civil rights, and most of all "city to region" segregation. The nation knows this and will hold this over the state's head as long as the problem exist. S. Louisiana has shown very little progress as far as changing its ways due to the childlike teddy bear grasp on its own culture and law of the land. It is because of that reason that Louisiana will overall be less respected, and the blame goes to S. Louisiana since you give the whole state its identity.

But in the mist of letting the good times roll and the clearing of flooded waters comes hope. There is a part of Louisiana that serves as botox for this state. There is a part of Louisiana that welcomes the ways of Uncle Sam in for help. Theres is a part of Louisiana that serve as hope in giving Louisiana a fighting chance in working its way up to the being that respected state. That area is known as........NORTH LOUISIANA. North Louisiana provides the state with connections from the seemingly outside world known as the United States of America to where we can allow Louisiana to become more modern, more up to date. and buttery. so lets all chant in victory: North Louisiana, North Louisiana, North Louisiana.

......NORTH Louisiana.......the savior of our state

(........i thank I over did it, but.....point still got across, i hope)
Okay? So you're saying that we're behind and show no progress, because we don't do whatever the rest of the country does? Man, get the ! You need to retake Louisiana history. The culture of S. Louisiana was here long before anything else was around here and definitely before N. Louisiana was even though of. Thank you, cause you really just made me realize how proud I am to be from S. Louisiana. To have some at least some kind of idea of where we came from and be able to hold on to it and not be white washed into a sea of genericism.

Anyway I agree that the politics haven't changed. Huey P was the only one willing to change something and you see how long that lasted. As long as both N. Louisiana and S. Louisianan put up with the current government, not much will change. The whole North LA vs South LA, BR vs NOLA, Louisiana vs NOLA positions only make it worse.

As far as civil rights, S. Louisiana and N. Louisiana are just recently (last 50-70) getting to the same page with civil rights, acceptance, etc. Race relations in N. LA and S. LA were two completely different things up until like the 20's. South Louisiana was always way ahead in terms of acceptance, tolerance, and just the social structure in general. I'll stop short to say that Louisiana's biggest problem is the constant clash between the uptight, typical southern-american views of the north and the loose, it's whatever views of the south. Either way this place will be corrupt. It's a large predisposition that comes from the initial settlement of the state.

I'm not trying to shut you down Legend and I'm not bashing North Louisiana, but you don't seem to know enough about the bottom half of Louisiana to say half the things you say.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,214,665 times
Reputation: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
What are your definitions of modern and urban???



The only two that I can think of are Jackson and Little Rock, maybe Memphis.



O.K., now tell me what can I do in Shreveport (N. Louisiana) that I can't in Lafayette (S. Louisiana). Now, flip that and tell me what can I do in Lafayette that I can't do in Shreveport.



Anything that is moving from coast to coast will travel I-10/I-12 through Louisiana, unless it needs to go to Atlanta. Usually if it needs to go higher up than Atlanta, it will hit I-40 and bypass Louisiana all together.

Make up your mind. first you said that I-20 brings more outsiders, now it's all about how it affects locals. Since you want to talk convenience, did you not realize the I-12 is almost completely developed. I'm talking an almost 90 mile stretch of developed interstate. In a 190 mile stretch I-20 only serves major points of Shreveport-Bossier, Ruston, and Monroe. In about 240 miles, I-10/I-12 serves Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Hammond, Mandeville, New Orleans, Covington, and Slidell. Now, talk convenience.



I really thought we had more benefits than N. Louisiana.



What is modern in your opinion?

Jackson is the crossroad. Everything north of Jackson is influenced by Dallas, Memphis and Atlanta. Everything south of Jackson is influenced by Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Houston. Jackson is a combo of all 6, but naturally it's original culture, location, and geography make it appear most like Shreveport.



Yet S. Louisiana is still growing faster than N. Louisiana.



Okay? So you're saying that we're behind and show no progress, because we don't do whatever the rest of the country does? Man, get the ! You need to retake Louisiana history. The culture of S. Louisiana was here long before anything else was around here and definitely before N. Louisiana was even though of. Thank you, cause you really just made me realize how proud I am to be from S. Louisiana. To have some at least some kind of idea of where we came from and be able to hold on to it and not be white washed into a sea of genericism.

Anyway I agree that the politics haven't changed. Huey P was the only one willing to change something and you see how long that lasted. As long as both N. Louisiana and S. Louisianan put up with the current government, not much will change. The whole North LA vs South LA, BR vs NOLA, Louisiana vs NOLA positions only make it worse.

As far as civil rights, S. Louisiana and N. Louisiana are just recently (last 50-70) getting to the same page with civil rights, acceptance, etc. Race relations in N. LA and S. LA were two completely different things up until like the 20's. South Louisiana was always way ahead in terms of acceptance, tolerance, and just the social structure in general. I'll stop short to say that Louisiana's biggest problem is the constant clash between the uptight, typical southern-american views of the north and the loose, it's whatever views of the south. Either way this place will be corrupt. It's a large predisposition that comes from the initial settlement of the state.

I'm not trying to shut you down Legend and I'm not bashing North Louisiana, but you don't seem to know enough about the bottom half of Louisiana to say half the things you say.
Way to take the words right out of my mouth! I could kiss you (but won't)

Nuff said.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top