Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

It might seem odd if you knew the history of Louisiana. Louisiana was colonised by Spain, and later France. Spain and France both had slavery. However, under Spanish colonialism, a slave could buy his or her freedom easily. Even under French rule, there was a sizeable number of free persons of color. You had White persons who were free, African slaves, and then free people of color. Free people of color also included those of mixed race. Under French rule, you had placage, which was basically White men could have "left handed marriages". Black women, Native American women or other free persons of color could be placed with White men. They were not really "marriages in a sense, but the relationships were recognized. The races did mix under this system. Once the Louisiana Purchase occurred, Louisiana became part of the USA and the placage basically was eridicated. Racial intermingling was made illegal. In a way, it seems odd, but then not so odd that this controversy might occur in Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 11:40 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It might seem odd if you knew the history of Louisiana. Louisiana was colonised by Spain, and later France. Spain and France both had slavery. However, under Spanish colonialism, a slave could buy his or her freedom easily. Even under French rule, there was a sizeable number of free persons of color. You had White persons who were free, African slaves, and then free people of color. Free people of color also included those of mixed race. Under French rule, you had placage, which was basically White men could have "left handed marriages". Black women, Native American women or other free persons of color could be placed with White men. They were not really "marriages in a sense, but the relationships were recognized. The races did mix under this system. Once the Louisiana Purchase occurred, Louisiana became part of the USA and the placage basically was eridicated. Racial intermingling was made illegal. In a way, it seems odd, but then not so odd that this controversy might occur in Louisiana.
The catch here is that most of that was limited to the area below Lake Pontchartrain. Anything above what is stretching from Baton Rouge to the Pearl River (basically the Northshore, i.e. Hammond, Mandeville, Covingtong, etc.) wasn't really Louisiana in the sense that New Orleans and some of the southwestern areas of the state were. A matter of fact the Northshore and Baton Rouge areas became West Florida and then British territory. In that respect it's not odd at all that this occured in that part of Louisiana. The differences are still obvious today between the culture of the Northshore and Baton Rouge, and the cultures of the Southshore, and Acadiana. The only difference is that some New Orleans influence has migrated to the eastern ends of the Northshore in the last 20 years.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The catch here is that most of that was limited to the area below Lake Pontchartrain. Anything above what is stretching from Baton Rouge to the Pearl River (basically the Northshore, i.e. Hammond, Mandeville, Covingtong, etc.) wasn't really Louisiana in the sense that New Orleans and some of the southwestern areas of the state were. A matter of fact the Northshore and Baton Rouge areas became West Florida and then British territory. In that respect it's not odd at all that this occured in that part of Louisiana. The differences are still obvious today between the culture of the Northshore and Baton Rouge, and the cultures of the Southshore, and Acadiana. The only difference is that some New Orleans influence has migrated to the eastern ends of the Northshore in the last 20 years.
Maybe for that part of Louisiana, it wouldn't be odd. I was using the history to come up with my own reasoning. My reason is about who ruled when and where. Louisiana stands out from most of the South in this aspect. At first racial mixing was at least tolerated in the beginning, at least below Lake Pontchartrain. The fact that it wasn't under British or US rule was a big part of it.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 AM

In fact there is more history about Louisiana. More proof that it stands out: PhD in History fails Louisiana Cajun-Creole Test! by Ted Duplessis (CREOLE FOLKS)

I highly encourage everyone to read this link.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Maybe for that part of Louisiana, it wouldn't be odd. I was using the history to come up with my own reasoning. My reason is about who ruled when and where. Louisiana stands out from most of the South in this aspect. At first racial mixing was at least tolerated in the beginning, at least below Lake Pontchartrain. The fact that it wasn't under British or US rule was a big part of it.
I understand exactly what you're saying. I was just elaborating on the history. Who wouldn't find it odd just looking at the early settlement and racial history of Louisiana in general. I just wanted to point out that if you take a closer look, before the Purchase the majority of Louisianans were in New Orleans. Most of the things that are attributed as Early Louisiana History are really New Orleans' history in a sense. in less than 60 years after New Orleans' founding the British had the Northshore and for decades the Northern half of the state was sparsely populated by non-Native Americans which is probably why the culture is probably so different today. What this boils down to is that although racial mixing was beyond tolerated. people of color were free to own and be educated, and even slaves had weekends off on the Southshore... Just 20 miles away on the Northshore was a completely different story.

I still think that's it's amazing how bad racial tension became after the arrival of the "Americans" and British, even in N.O. In my honest opinion, Louisiana was only really successful under the Spanish. French rule brought mass-corruption and American rule caused it to damn near implode.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I understand exactly what you're saying. I was just elaborating on the history. Who wouldn't find it odd just looking at the early settlement and racial history of Louisiana in general. I just wanted to point out that if you take a closer look, before the Purchase the majority of Louisianans were in New Orleans. Most of the things that are attributed as Early Louisiana History are really New Orleans' history in a sense. in less than 60 years after New Orleans' founding the British had the Northshore and for decades the Northern half of the state was sparsely populated by non-Native Americans which is probably why the culture is probably so different today. What this boils down to is that although racial mixing was beyond tolerated. people of color were free to own and be educated, and even slaves had weekends off on the Southshore... Just 20 miles away on the Northshore was a completely different story.

I still think that's it's amazing how bad racial tension became after the arrival of the "Americans" and British, even in N.O. In my honest opinion, Louisiana was only really successful under the Spanish. French rule brought mass-corruption and American rule caused it to damn near implode.
It doesn't surprise me one bit about the racial tensions after Louisiana became part of the USA. One only has to look at the rest of the South. As for the corruption, I don't think Spain was much better as far as corruption went. I am only guessing that corruption always occurs under colonialism.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,559 times
Inter-racial marriage and same sex "marriage" are not only on different pages, they are in different books, entirely. Somebody always has to jump in with the homosexual bit, when it not only doesn't fit the discussion, at hand, we're all tired of your WHINING.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkuvcrap View Post
Inter-racial marriage and same sex "marriage" are not only on different pages, they are in different books, entirely. Somebody always has to jump in with the homosexual bit, when it not only doesn't fit the discussion, at hand, we're all tired of your WHINING.
I take it you're not for gay marriage?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 AM

595 posts, read 1,173,073 times
I was raised in south La. by a very racist family and I grew up thinking Blacks were terrible,Gays should be shot,and Whitey was King.Two years in Viet Nam and another 4 in the Marines got Me to thinking about all the Non white people I served with and saw DIE for the USA,I soon grew to understand that color,race,made people different but no less important than Whitey.Everybody
is made of flesh an blood and bleed and Die the same so what could make them so bad,(uneducated people IMO).I find it hard to belive We as a Nation are still trying to seperate the colors after all these Years ,must be somthing wrong with the education system.People are People ,with good and evil on all sides so to Me that makes us all the same,(GODS Children).I don't give a rats azz who You want to sleep with are Marry,Just An't My call.If everyone would have taken care of there on bussiness and stayed out of Mine I might still live in the city but with all the issue that never seem to get resolved I chose to move to the country ,I still have A Mexacan neighbor,bigger house than mine.There kids are very well mannered and the Black family down the street aren't selling Drugs,
GET OVER THIS AND LETS BAN TOGETHER BEFORE CHINA OR JAPAN Owns the US.No offense to any one intended.We are only here on earth for aprox.80-104 years so why argue and raise children to contiue these prejudice ways.I hope everyone has a good day.

Last edited by fbbertusa; 02-06-2012 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: forgive the grammer and spelling ,ED. In La.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:02 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
I was raised in south La. by a very racist family and I grew up thinking Blacks were terrible,Gays should be shot,and Whitey was King.Two years in Viet Nam and another 4 in the Marines got Me to thinking about all the Non white people I served with and saw DIE for the USA,I soon grew to understand that color,race,made people different but no less important than Whitey.Everybody
is made of flesh an blood and bleed and Die the same so what could make them so bad,(uneducated people IMO).I find it hard to belive We as a Nation are still trying to seperate the colors after all these Years ,must be somthing wrong with the education system.People are People ,with good and evil on all sides so to Me that makes us all the same,(GODS Children).I don't give a rats azz who You want to sleep with are Marry,Just An't My call.If everyone would have taken care of there on bussiness and stayed out of Mine I might still live in the city but with all the issue that never seem to get resolved I chose to move to the country ,I still have A Mexacan neighbor,bigger house than mine.There kids are very well mannered and the Black family down the street aren't selling Drugs,
GET OVER THIS AND LETS BAN TOGETHER BEFORE CHINA OR JAPAN Owns the US.No offense to any one intended.We are only here on earth for aprox.80-104 years so why argue and raise children to contiue these prejudice ways.I hope everyone has a good day.
Well said Bert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana