U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 06:07 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,764,060 times

Advertisements

Two of my favorite gas stations have now switched to 10% ethanol. What's going on? Is this a new state requirement like in other parts of the country?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 AM

2,050 posts, read 4,762,749 times
I work for a gasoline transportation company. areas that have ethanol almost exclusively now are Shreveport/Bossier city and Baton rouge. New Orleans and Lafayette areas still have some conventional fuel that we haul. Its not yet REQUIRED but the state obviously encourages it.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:48 PM

2,861 posts, read 7,028,619 times
Thank you Innotech for clearing that up. I've been curious myself but couldn't answer Sailordaves post.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:20 PM

1,797 posts, read 4,138,068 times
I live in Shreveport and I run mogas on my cessna aircraft. The supplemental certificate requires that automotive gas utilized for aviation applications be ethanol-free. This is done obviously because ethanol is water-absorbing, which means higher risk of water collection in the fuel tanks due to aircraft sitting on ramps for longer than the average car (which goes through a tank of gas in less than a week) and the interaction of water in the fuel system at altitude (exposed to supercooling) along with the increased volatility ethanol creates, increases the odds of vapor locking. It also vaporizes easier at altitude, which are all negatives for aviation use.

The difference between car gas and 100LL is about a 100% price increase, so it's worth my time, but unfortunately this ethanol lobby is killing the gig. The only source of ethanol-free car gas I have is on base. Outside base, forget it, nowhere to be found.

If this was Brazil and we had acres of sugar cane sitting idle then sure, go at it. As it stands, it's insolvent and it's a net negative on the energy curve (takes more energy, fossil-fuel mind you, to make it than what you get out of it). Ethanol blows....

Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 AM

ethanol definitely sucks, because if you get even an inch of water in a holding tank, it has to be pumped out. It causes so much headaches and retains.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:33 AM

9,807 posts, read 14,209,890 times
Been using 10% ethanol for years in Minnesota and experiencing no problems.

good stuff

Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,764,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Been using 10% ethanol for years in Minnesota and experiencing no problems.

good stuff
Minnesota isn't anywhere near as humid as south Louisiana.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:20 PM

1,756 posts, read 3,110,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I work for a gasoline transportation company. areas that have ethanol almost exclusively now are Shreveport/Bossier city and Baton rouge. New Orleans and Lafayette areas still have some conventional fuel that we haul. Its not yet REQUIRED but the state obviously encourages it.
Actually Kathleen Baboon Blanco signed the bill into law in 2006, making ethanol a requirement. Supposedly the entire state was to begin selling ethanol for autos on 1/1/2009.

Ethanol Mandate Signed into Law in Louisiana | Pew Center on Global Climate Change: The Pew Center on Global Climate Change

Old 10-22-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Actually Kathleen Baboon Blanco signed the bill into law in 2006, making ethanol a requirement. Supposedly the entire state was to begin selling ethanol for autos on 1/1/2009.

Ethanol Mandate Signed into Law in Louisiana | Pew Center on Global Climate Change: The Pew Center on Global Climate Change
there are still lots of stores out there using conventional gasoline. Some stores also splash blend conventional fuel with 10% ethanol

Old 10-30-2009, 01:50 PM

1,756 posts, read 3,110,605 times
Please provide a list of stations in Louisiana (or southwestern Mississippi, for that matter) where I can buy pure, non-oxygenated gasoline for my cars and motorcycle. Since it is supposed to be against the law to sell pure gas — and the subject was discussed on WJBO radio last December before the law went into effect — it may be advisable, Innotech, to send me a PM just in case the LSP is monitoring this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or