Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2006, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 10,891 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know exactly where Grambling got its name? Who was the founder? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 41,368 times
Default Gsu

an excerpt taken from the website of Grambling State U.. Search Grambling on internet and you will receive loads of information

Grambling State University emerged from the desire of African-American farmers in rural north Louisiana who wanted to educate other African Americans in the northern and western parts of the state. In 1896, the North Louisiana Colored Agriculture Relief Association was formed to organize and operate a school.

After opening a small school west of what is now the town of Grambling, the Association requested assistance from Booker T. Washington of Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. Charles P. Adams, sent to aid the group in organizing an industrial school, became its founder and first president.

Under Adams’ leadership, the Colored Industrial and Agricultural School opened on November 1, 1901. Four years later, the school moved to its present location and was renamed the North Louisiana Agricultural and Industrial School. By 1928, the school was able to offer two-year professional certificates and diplomas after becoming a state junior college. The school was renamed Louisiana Negro Normal and Industrial Institute.

In 1936, Ralph Waldo Emerson Jones became the second president. The program was reorganized to emphasize rural education. It became internationally known as “The Louisiana Plan” or “A Venture in Rural Teacher Education.” Professional teaching certificates were awarded when a third year was added in 1936, and the first baccalaureate degree was awarded in 1944 in elementary education.

The institution’s name was changed to Grambling College in 1946. Thereafter, the college prepared secondary teachers and added curricula in sciences, liberal arts and business. With these programs in effect, the school was transformed from a single purpose institution of teacher education into a multipurpose college. During the 1950s, the college obtained full membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). In 1974, the addition of graduate programs in early childhood and elementary education gave the school a new status and a new name – Grambling State University.

From 1977 to 2000, the University moved and prospered. Several new academic programs were incorporated and new facilities -including a business and computer science building, school of nursing, student services building, stadium, stadium support facility, and an intramural sports center - were added to the 384-acre campus

Through the years, the University has acquired the prestige and academic strength noted only among much larger institutions. From its distinction of being one of the country’s top producers of African American graduates, to being the home of legendary football coach Eddie Robinson, Sr. and its internationally renowned Tiger Marching Band, Grambling State University has become a household name in this country and abroad.

During Robinson’s stellar 57-year coaching career, the University gained a national reputation as being “the cradle of the pros” because of the large number of student-athletes who joined the professional ranks in football, basketball and baseball.

After Robinson’s retirement in 1997, former GSU standout and NFL Super Bowl XXII
MVP Doug Williams took over the reigns of the University’s football program. He led the team to national and regional championships.

Additionally, the University holds the distinction of being the first Louisiana institution to bring a sitting U. S. President to its campus. The Honorable William “Bill” Jefferson Clinton was the featured speaker during commencement exercises held in May 1999. Nearly two years later, the Tiger Marching Band was the only Louisiana entity included in the inaugural parade for U.S. President George W. Bush.

Five presidents served during this period – from 1977 to 2001: Dr. Joseph Benjamin Johnson, Dr. Harold W. Lundy, Dr. Raymond Hicks, Dr. Leonard Haynes, III, and Dr. Steve A. Favors.

The advent of a new millennium and the beginning of a second century of service ushered in Grambling State University’s first female president, Dr. Neari Francois Warner. Warner who served a three-year interim term.

In 2004, Dr. Horace A. Judson became the institution’s seventh president. Under his leadership, the University is aggressively moving to reclaim its legacy and claim its place.

Steeped in history and a longstanding tradition of excellence, Grambling State University continues to emphasize the value and importance of each student, exemplifying its motto: Where Everybody Is Somebody

Old 01-29-2009, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 9,738 times
who were the farmers that gave the money for grambling state university to start? One person was Andra or Andrea Newby. Does the university acknowledge the 27 men who had this dream of a school for their children. There was once when the men were mentioned in old orientation books, but is there any acknowledgement to these farmers and who they were any more. I would like to know who they were and have more information about them because Mr. Newby was my great great grandfather and we do have a photo of him.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,678 times
At the risk of creating some controversy over the origins of naming of "Grambling", I have been doing family research on my ancestors of Ruston, Louisiana for some time and as a result, traced the family to my great grandmother, Clara V. Grambling, daughter of James R. Grambling. If I am not mistaken, the actual point of origin placing a location called "Grambling" on the map was as a stopping point by the railway company at that time, to collect timber from the sawmill. Exactly, what date that was, I am unsure.
From the 1860 census of then, Jackson parish (page 111), James R. Grambling was indicated as a "Farmer". By the census of 1870 (Jackson parish, Ward 4, page 18), he was at that time designated as "Miller" by trade. At this time, my great grandmother Clara V. Grambling was 21. From the census of 1880 (Ward 1, page 37), Clara V. had married Rufus Henry Lane at which time they had 5 children, one being Clara Lane, my grandmother.
For me, the missing link would be to clarify with the historical train records of that time and see if the naming of the "Grambling" station was in fact, anywhere near the present day location of Grambling and if so, it seems there would be records of transaction between the owner of said mill and the train company.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,366 times
Default Grambling founding fathers / farmers

The contributing members should be listed. I, too, learned that my great, great uncle was a founding member. His last name was Garner. Our family has a history of huge contributions to Louisiana. We are also from Ruston, in Lincoln Parish, 3rd ward.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 9,171 times
P.G. Grambling was a sawmill owner and builder in the Ruston area in the 1920's. His daughter Martha was my dad's first wife. Mr. P.G. Gambling gave the land for the college and it was named for the Grambling family due to their generosity. My dad was good friends with the 2nd president of Grambling, Ralph Waldo Emerson Jones, and he would take me to see Mr. Jones in his office when I was about 3 years old in 1948. Ginger Leckie Seale

Old 12-02-2018, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,112 times
P G Grambling gave land for the school. Was this the beginning of Grambling the town? Was James R Grambling his male family member the town was possibly named for? PG was a white mill owner. Does this mean Grambling's town and college were named for generous white men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana