Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:45 PM

115 posts, read 539,793 times

Advertisements

Why is the state or federal taxes so high if this is one of the poorest state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 07:29 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,446,776 times
Could you elaborate ? Yes, we are a state with a significant amount of poor people, but (1) if incomes are low, federal taxes will be low as well, (2) most taxes here are reasonable - sometimes, TOO reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEKI View Post
Why is the state or federal taxes so high if this is one of the poorest state?

Old 12-27-2009, 07:06 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,401,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Could you elaborate ? Yes, we are a state with a significant amount of poor people, but (1) if incomes are low, federal taxes will be low as well, (2) most taxes here are reasonable - sometimes, TOO reasonable.
Our sales taxes are unreasonable, especially when compared to neighboring states. Some states exempt food from ALL sales taxes. Federal taxes will be going up. My real estate taxes have tripled over the past decade; I'll bet yours have too.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,666,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Our sales taxes are unreasonable, especially when compared to neighboring states. Some states exempt food from ALL sales taxes. Federal taxes will be going up. My real estate taxes have tripled over the past decade; I'll bet yours have too.
Forgive me for asking, but why do you live here, exactly? You never have anything good to say.

As for me, I'm content with my taxes. There are other people who will never be content because they don't realize that our society cannot function without some form of taxes. And if they do realize that, they think they deserve some sort of special treatment.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:13 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,546,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I was visiting a realtive in layfaette and the property taxes were the lowest i've evwer seen. In the end goveranmnt has to have revenues .

Old 12-27-2009, 09:15 PM

749 posts, read 1,784,617 times
Louisiana's taxes aren't too bad compared to Nashville TN. Sure we don't have a state income tax but they sure make up for it with all their other taxes. We pay 9.25% sales tax and ANOTHER 7.75% tax on Food. If it's prepared food; it goes under the 9.25%. My Mother lives in Louisiana and can't believe what we pay in taxes here. She had some work done on her Motorhome while she was visiting me and almost had heart failure over what they charged her PLUS the hefty taxes.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:20 AM

Well I was wondering. I live in Georgia where you get more house and the land is included, nice piece I must add. The property taxes are not high at all and taxes aren't high either. What bothers me is I visited Louisiana for one year and compared some things. A lady I met said she pays $750 a month in this bad area making minimum wage from the job she worked so in order to maintain a place for her and her child she had an extra part time job. Now she lives in Georgia pays $725 a month for a 2bedroom works 1 job in the same field of work she worked in Louisiana but makes $7.00 more a month so life is a little better. I heard that Louisiana government is bad. Is this true?

Old 12-28-2009, 02:21 AM

The lady was living in a 1 bedroom

Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 AM

What is that persons property tax in Lafayette?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:13 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,446,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEKI View Post
Well I was wondering. I live in Georgia where you get more house and the land is included, nice piece I must add. The property taxes are not high at all and taxes aren't high either. What bothers me is I visited Louisiana for one year and compared some things. A lady I met said she pays $750 a month in this bad area making minimum wage from the job she worked so in order to maintain a place for her and her child she had an extra part time job. Now she lives in Georgia pays $725 a month for a 2bedroom works 1 job in the same field of work she worked in Louisiana but makes $7.00 more a month so life is a little better. I heard that Louisiana government is bad. Is this true?
I just think you have a lower supply of middle/lower income housing related to the demand.

Louisiana government has historically been corrupt because the centralization of power since Huey Long (the 1930s, in other words) creates huge temptations for corruption. Also, too, oil severace taxes paid the bill, which meant that for most people, corruption didn't have a personal; financial impact. That started to change in the 1980s, when oil prices crashed, and all of the sudden, they had to raise taxes to pay for government.

So today, we still suffer some with that legacy, but I think there is less tolerance for funny games than there was in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana