Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 34,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf View Post
Just wondering what the religious tolerance is like in the area. I'm Jewish, my husband is Christian...there's no crazy KKK action in the area, is there?
GEEZE, NO!!

You want KKK check Vidor TX. LOL!!! If you and your husband are able to tolerate each other, then you will certainly be tolerated in Lafayette!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 01:46 PM

11 posts, read 52,797 times
South Louisiana is wonderfuly tolerant of almost everyone. Its North Louisiana you have to worry about. Here in the Shreveport/Bossier city area its not so nice. I mean its not KKK kind of stuff but its still bad here. I have many Jewish, Muslim, and Wiccan friends here in Shreveport, and each of them along with myself could relate sad stories about the people here. It seems the first question out of most peoples mouths are "So what church do you go to" and when you tell them your not christian most of the time they respond "oh your a satanist". Their ignorance would really be funny if it didn't scare the heck out of our son.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
You mean those "Crazy Cajuns"...Acadiennes...

Lafayette is beatiful AND historic...
99% Catholic, We Accept all...
I guess I would fit in just find. I'm Catholic too.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 PM

15 posts, read 93,106 times
Default Jews in Lafayette

There is a very small Jewish community in Lafayette and a synagogue. Some of our prominant citizens Herbert Heymann (the performing arts center is named after him), Henri Bendel (yes That Henri Bendel) family, are Jewish. It isn't really an issue. Most Cajuns are pretty laissez-faire about most things. There are no religious tolerance problems that I know of.

I hope you do not have a problem with Muslims. There is a much larger Muslim population here than Jewish. There is a new Mosque near the UL campus, where students from the middle east and indonesia have studied for decades. This is oil country, after all.

With reference to the KKK stuff. I haven't met anyone who will admit to it, but you will always find these types of people no matter where you go. There was a KKK tv program on the open cable channel. The city required them to appear unmasked. I don't know if it is still shown. I doubt any of them has met a Jew.

I will warn you, Jews in lafayette are so rare, many here have not met one. You may get that, "really?" kind of thing. In other words people may be unknowingly insensitive, due to lack of exposure, consider their lack of knowldege before assuming bigotry.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:52 PM

9 posts, read 33,769 times
Default I'd like to introduce you to the local synagogue

There is a very nice synogogue in Lafayette. It is located at 603 Lee- Temple Shalom.

Temple Shalom, Lafayette, LA - Home

There is a synagogue in Morgan City and New Iberia. The Gates of Prayer synogogue. I believe this synagogue was mentioned in a David Lee Burke detective novel as well.

Cajun Jews have been in the area for about 350 years... sort of since the beginning... mostly Alsatian-Jews who either came directly from Alsatian of via Nova Scotia. The Anglo's weren't too picky in who they were kicking out from Cape Breton in 1755.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:23 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluexf View Post
LOL Ok, I didn't mean to sound ignorant or anything...I looked around online, and did see a cross-burning somewhere out there that was tried in Lafayette, so I'm not nuts...I know these things happen still here and there. I was pretty certain it would be ok in Lafayette, but I had to check! And hey, my husband is from Tennessee, so I really don't think poorly of the south.
Suffolk County, New York has the KKK wreaking havoc right next door to you.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Celt View Post
South Louisiana is wonderfuly tolerant of almost everyone. Its North Louisiana you have to worry about. Here in the Shreveport/Bossier city area its not so nice. I mean its not KKK kind of stuff but its still bad here. I have many Jewish, Muslim, and Wiccan friends here in Shreveport, and each of them along with myself could relate sad stories about the people here. It seems the first question out of most peoples mouths are "So what church do you go to" and when you tell them your not christian most of the time they respond "oh your a satanist". Their ignorance would really be funny if it didn't scare the heck out of our son.
Shreveport before WWII supported a large Jewish community with 5 synagogues including Orthodox Jewish; most of the Jews lived in the Madison Park neighborhood. There has always been plenty of tolerance here for those of the Jewish faith. The Jews owned the cities better department stores, bakeries, even restaurants. They were a big part of our community.

Unfortunately, the city of Shreveport fell by the wayside (over and over again) until most intelligent,industrious people left the area and all that is left now is average working people mostly of rural type southern backrounds. Somebody had to come and fill those jobs left unfilled when the others moved on. They did and many are fundementalist, Apostolic faiths who don't really know what they are talking about but rather take the word of some uneducated pastor. I have seen this all my life and simply I ignore them. If you don't want to be queried, stay away from people like that and don't talk to them anymore than you have to.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:17 PM

9 posts, read 33,769 times
I agree with HDwell. I grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas and have heritage from the Alexandria, New Iberia, New Orleans triangle. There is still a Jewish population in Little Rock. Dillards Department store was formally known as Phillips-Blass. Both are notable in the Jewish community. However, a part of what is the demise of Shreveport is also the demise of Little Rock. The homoginization of communities. When local institutions are distroyed or absorbed and no one accesses the skill base remaining, then you are left with a large grouping of lower skilled jobs and a few service related jobs and fewer higher skilled service jobs such as doctors, dentists, vets, etc. Combined with this factor in Shreveport, I believe, is there use to be a large air force base. The services required to support the base usually tend to stabilize a community somewhat.

The Big Box sameness only requires a limites skill set. The Sorting of folks by lifestyle has largely occured in the last 40 years. If your town or city doesn't offer a lifestyle that supports an openness/tolerance then stagnation may arise. I am not speaking in particular about Shreveport or northern LA on the last topic. I would recommend folks browse or read a book called the Big Sort by Bishop.

Alexandria supports 2 synagogues currently. Shreveport supports 2 synagogues as well. There are synagogues in Monroe. Alexandria's support is an oddity in small city America. As i mentioned earlier, there are synagogues in Lake Charles, New Iberia, Lafayette, Mandeville, and two in Baton Rouge. The Metro New Orleans area supports about 7 synagogues.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:46 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
^Well said, Puffinz!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana