Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times

Advertisements

Hello out there to all my friends in the great state of Louisiana.

Let me preface this post by saying all discussion of moving is completely preliminary at this point. I probably won't be able to put these plans into action until late this year (December) to early next year (January/February). I currently live in northern NJ, have lived here almost all my life, and couldn't be more ready to choose a state I prefer and start planting my roots.

With that said, the two main areas I have been considering are Lafayette and Bossier City. I plan on doing extensive research on my own, getting a better feel for both areas when I return to Louisiana (most likely late June/early July) and working with this board throughout the year as new questions and concerns arise.

At this point, I would appreciate any advice you guys can give!

Are Lafayette and Bossier City radically different culturally? I have been to Lafayette, but not to Bossier City. I know about the general divide between southern Louisiana and northern Louisiana, but does it polarize the state and lead to an extremely different feel in these areas? What are the biggest differences?

I have done some research into the respective apartment complexes, but where are apartments generally considered more reasonable? Which city has a better downtown? I'm not much into nightlife as far as clubs or any of that, but I'm more looking for a good selection of/easy access to restaurants, shops (both independent-regional as I like a town that is not all chains, but also some chains for cheapness/convenience), and just general downtown activities, ranging from cinemas to events/festivals.

Which area is more accessible? I like the fact that Lafayette isn't too far from Baton Rouge, and only two hours away from New Orleans. Do those who live in Lafayette consider this a big plus?

Also, once I resettle, I want to have access to great nature areas/the outdoors. I know northern Louisiana is nicknamed Sportsman's Paradise. Is the Shreveport-Bossier area great for this? Does Lafayette also have access to these types of things. I occasionally fish up here in NJ and would like decent fishing areas, and I would like to get licensed and take up hunting (mostly bucks). Are both areas good for this? Which is better?

I know this is a lot to ask, but as I said, this is preliminary and I would just appreciate anything you guys can throw at me in the way of information. I'll be checking back on this thread all the time and probably starting different ones in different sections of the board throughout the months, as the date moves closer and I gain more information/have more questions about different situations.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 09:20 AM

33 posts, read 161,690 times
Well let me start off by saying this thread can easily turn into a Civil War between North & South Lousisana. Being from Lafayette and being alot more familiar with South Lousisana then the north, this might sound like im just trying to swade you to move south. But im not, I just want you to know all the Pros vs Cons. I have lived in Dallas Tx, Virgina, and I had the privilege of traveling alot of different place in my life so far.. You being from New Jersey I can easily tell you your transaction to South Lousisana will be alot easier then N. Louisiana. The reason why I say this is because S Louisiana is alot more tolorable then N Louisisana. I think South is exposed to more of the world(different cultures) then N Lousisana. North is still kinda of considered the Ol South in some ways, and S Louisiana is nothing like the traditional Southern United States.

Lafayette is a very unique place, living here you would understand, some people really dont catch it by visiting. But Bossier on the other hand is not a normal place to live in N Louisisana either. It has a bit more of a progressive mind state then a typical place to live in the North. Like I said earlier I dont live up there so I wont sit here and name everything it has to offer. I will let someone that is from there, come on this thread to explain to you more in detail of what Bossier has to offer.( And trust me they will come) But Lafayette and Acadiana of course as you know is the French Capital in the of United States(unofficially). The reason why I said it is unique is because it has traditions that has never changed for generations(food, festivals,different accents,entertainment,having a good time) but at the same time Lafayette is a very proggresive median size city.(Technology, New Construction, shopping, New ideas, JOBS) Our local goverment(which is far from perfect) has visted different counrtys to bring new ideas on how to improve our city and to establish a connection with the rest of the world. The food is AMAZING.. I promise you will never experience better food anywhere. From restaurants to a simple gas station or a meat shop, there is food everywhere. We are often overshadowed by New Orleans, but I feel our food is the best

Lafayette is not considered in the traidional bible belt like the rest of south is. If you look at a map, look for I-10 between Lake Charles and New Orleans. Pretty much every city besides Baton Rouge is 85% Catholic and that is pretty much how Lafayette is also, No matter what race(black, white, latino) But like I said earlier S Lousisana is very tolorable. So You can find every religion here, people really dont have time to judge you because there is always something going on and people just work hard and have a good time. With allllllll that said we do have some problems. Infrastructure is playing catch up down here, that will be the first thing people notice when they come here. Living Cost are little to high for many different reasons, and Politics, I have always felt personal interest have slowed this city from standing out like it should, because there is no other place like Lafayette, in the state or in the country.

I have left alot of room for debates, and input from alot of different people from everywhere, but take eveybodys input and take your time to make the best decission for you.. When people from Bossier tell you the positives about there city, that situation might be better for you, only you will know!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Lafayette is also reasonably close to Houston and the Florida beaches. Bossier City has its plusses too, having the benefit of a large Air Force base being there. It's reasonably close to Dallas and the Ozarks, and much closer to Toledo Bend than Lafayette is. Both have their fair share of crime, but neither ranks lowest in the state's public education arena.

All of this may suggest to you that if travel to other areas is important to you, you'll have to make up your own mind as to what sort of travel appeals to you.

If local cuisine is important, then I'd say Lafayette is for you. Bossier would be the better choice for the hunter/fisherman in you.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
I think rosinante said it the best.
Lafayette is great if you like the Cajun/Louisiana culture, closer proximity to Grand Isle/Florida beaches, New Orleans/BR/houston. Bossier is a more "modern" city of built up suburbs and more industry, more traditional types of jobs not necessarily related to healthxcare or the oilfield. Its basically more like eastern Texas or southern Arkansas and the scenery up there is MUCH more interesting unless you like swamp/coastal areas. Overall both areas have their perks, but its up to you if you prefer a more traditional sort of city or the unique culture of Lafayette. For some, the cajun culture is not that appealing and for those I would recommend bossier. but if you like the food,music,etc of southern Louisiana then it is a no brainer.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel et Intelligent View Post
Well let me start off by saying this thread can easily turn into a Civil War between North & South Lousisana. Being from Lafayette and being alot more familiar with South Lousisana then the north, this might sound like im just trying to swade you to move south. But im not, I just want you to know all the Pros vs Cons. I have lived in Dallas Tx, Virgina, and I had the privilege of traveling alot of different place in my life so far.. You being from New Jersey I can easily tell you your transaction to South Lousisana will be alot easier then N. Louisiana. The reason why I say this is because S Louisiana is alot more tolorable then N Louisisana. I think South is exposed to more of the world(different cultures) then N Lousisana. North is still kinda of considered the Ol South in some ways, and S Louisiana is nothing like the traditional Southern United States.

Lafayette is a very unique place, living here you would understand, some people really dont catch it by visiting. But Bossier on the other hand is not a normal place to live in N Louisisana either. It has a bit more of a progressive mind state then a typical place to live in the North. Like I said earlier I dont live up there so I wont sit here and name everything it has to offer. I will let someone that is from there, come on this thread to explain to you more in detail of what Bossier has to offer.( And trust me they will come) But Lafayette and Acadiana of course as you know is the French Capital in the of United States(unofficially). The reason why I said it is unique is because it has traditions that has never changed for generations(food, festivals,different accents,entertainment,having a good time) but at the same time Lafayette is a very proggresive median size city.(Technology, New Construction, shopping, New ideas, JOBS) Our local goverment(which is far from perfect) has visted different counrtys to bring new ideas on how to improve our city and to establish a connection with the rest of the world. The food is AMAZING.. I promise you will never experience better food anywhere. From restaurants to a simple gas station or a meat shop, there is food everywhere. We are often overshadowed by New Orleans, but I feel our food is the best

Lafayette is not considered in the traidional bible belt like the rest of south is. If you look at a map, look for I-10 between Lake Charles and New Orleans. Pretty much every city besides Baton Rouge is 85% Catholic and that is pretty much how Lafayette is also, No matter what race(black, white, latino) But like I said earlier S Lousisana is very tolorable. So You can find every religion here, people really dont have time to judge you because there is always something going on and people just work hard and have a good time. With allllllll that said we do have some problems. Infrastructure is playing catch up down here, that will be the first thing people notice when they come here. Living Cost are little to high for many different reasons, and Politics, I have always felt personal interest have slowed this city from standing out like it should, because there is no other place like Lafayette, in the state or in the country.

I have left alot of room for debates, and input from alot of different people from everywhere, but take eveybodys input and take your time to make the best decission for you.. When people from Bossier tell you the positives about there city, that situation might be better for you, only you will know!!!

I appreciate your post as I am trying to get a good feel for the differences between northern and southern Louisiana. I realize that state lines are made by people and as such, in many states (I would say more states than not), one end of the state feels like a completely different entity as opposed to the other. This is true in Virginia, California, New York, Florida, Texas, and even New Jersey, where I live now. Honestly the apartment prices don't seem wildly different from what I've seen so for me the decision is coming more down to culture (and if I can find a job in the area, of course). The problem is, I really love the Cajun and French culture found in southern Louisiana, with the Cajun food and music, the different terrain (Love love love bayous), and the unique cities (Lafayette and New Orleans). However, I also like traditional "Southern" culture as in grits and sweet tea, country music, and I'm pretty conservative. That's why I'm not sure what would be the best fit.

I come from a pretty liberal area, although I have my own views (which are more conservative economically, socially libertarian, patriotic/pro-military, big on enforcement of violent crimes, etc.) but I tend to get along with all types and I have been to pretty diverse areas, from some uber liberal parts of Manhattan to some extremely rural mountain towns in east Tennessee, and I generally make friends wherever I go as I like having conversations/stopping to enjoy people's company. That's why I love the South. Most of my family who live in the South live in central Florida (Tampa and Orlando areas). Florida's beautiful, but I fell in love with the culture, the history, the people, and the food () of Louisiana a long time ago.

I have some extended family in Kenner, LA. I just got back a few weeks ago from a 10-day trip to NOLA, and honestly, it's an awesome city, probably my favorite U.S. city I've been to (like it much better than NYC, better than Boston, Baltimore, even cooler than Nashville from what parts I saw of that city), but I'm generally not a person for huge cities as far as living. I like more rural areas. At this point in my life though, with getting an apartment rather than buying a house, I'd rather be in or near a medium-sized city that also is surrounded with nice natural areas so I can still get the amenities and enjoy the best of both worlds. I can't say yet about Bossier City, but I loved the fact that Lafayette had so much beautiful nature around it and some other great surrounding towns (such as Breaux Bridge).

Lafayette is an awesome city from what I saw and I love the idea of living near the country's largest swampland. I imagine it gets extremely hot/humid during the summer but that is Louisiana and most of the South in general. I've been to south Florida in July/August every year for the past 20 years, so I'm fairly used to those kinds of temperatures. Is the bug problem horrendous during the summer?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Lafayette is also reasonably close to Houston and the Florida beaches. Bossier City has its plusses too, having the benefit of a large Air Force base being there. It's reasonably close to Dallas and the Ozarks, and much closer to Toledo Bend than Lafayette is. Both have their fair share of crime, but neither ranks lowest in the state's public education arena.

All of this may suggest to you that if travel to other areas is important to you, you'll have to make up your own mind as to what sort of travel appeals to you.

If local cuisine is important, then I'd say Lafayette is for you. Bossier would be the better choice for the hunter/fisherman in you.
Honestly just by talking with some of you I'm getting very excited for my move to Louisiana because I know that wherever I decide, I won't be too far from loads of other great stuff. Louisiana is about 22 1/2 hours from where I live in northern NJ (at least New Orleans is), so I like the idea of living in a totally different area of the country and being within a few hours drive to Texas/northern Florida/the Mississippi and Alabama Gulf Coasts/etc. I also wouldn't mind being positioned within a 2 hour or so drive to Grand Isle. I grew up always going to the beach in the summer (we call it the "shore") which is the one thing I'm going to miss about New Jersey as there are some beautiful beaches here, and I'm not one to complement this state . However, I've heard good things about Grand Isle as a summer destination. I love the idea of having so much packed into one state. NJ is a diverse state as well, but Louisiana is much bigger and offers a lot more of the type of stuff I'm interested in. Can't wait to be in that region as I'm so tired of the "BosWash Corridor" and the Northeast.

Is there a big hunting culture in Shreveport/Bossier City? Does said culture still exist in southern LA in areas such as Lafayette? I really can't wait to get out of here and get down there where hunting/fishing is not looked at as something radical or negative.

Oh, and what kind of other recreation does Bossier City offer? Is the boardwalk a popular venue?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I think rosinante said it the best.
Lafayette is great if you like the Cajun/Louisiana culture, closer proximity to Grand Isle/Florida beaches, New Orleans/BR/houston. Bossier is a more "modern" city of built up suburbs and more industry, more traditional types of jobs not necessarily related to healthxcare or the oilfield. Its basically more like eastern Texas or southern Arkansas and the scenery up there is MUCH more interesting unless you like swamp/coastal areas. Overall both areas have their perks, but its up to you if you prefer a more traditional sort of city or the unique culture of Lafayette. For some, the cajun culture is not that appealing and for those I would recommend bossier. but if you like the food,music,etc of southern Louisiana then it is a no brainer.
Oh to me, the Cajun culture is definately appealing. I think certain states are seen (sterotypically) through the eyes of only a certain region. For instance, when most people think of Florida, they think of south-central Florida: Orlando/Naples/Miami/the Keys/etc., not the panhandle and rural northern Florida. I think the same is true in Louisiana. People tend to only think of bayous and Cajuns, whereas north Louisiana is kind of ignored.

I love both cultures honestly. I haven't been to north Louisiana, but I know I enjoy traditional Southern culture as well from the time I've spent in Mississippi/southern Virginia/northern Florida.

When you say the scenery is more interesting in the north though, what do you mean exactly? What type of terrain is more common in the north? Also, is the state divided in the sense that the north and south don't get along?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 PM

When anyone gets a chance, I'm still looking for some general insight into life in the two areas and which one is more connected to the heart/soul of Louisiana.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:14 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Oh to me, the Cajun culture is definately appealing. I think certain states are seen (sterotypically) through the eyes of only a certain region. For instance, when most people think of Florida, they think of south-central Florida: Orlando/Naples/Miami/the Keys/etc., not the panhandle and rural northern Florida. I think the same is true in Louisiana. People tend to only think of bayous and Cajuns, whereas north Louisiana is kind of ignored.

I love both cultures honestly. I haven't been to north Louisiana, but I know I enjoy traditional Southern culture as well from the time I've spent in Mississippi/southern Virginia/northern Florida.

When you say the scenery is more interesting in the north though, what do you mean exactly? What type of terrain is more common in the north? Also, is the state divided in the sense that the north and south don't get along?
well, Northern Louisiana is more hilly and wooded. Southern Louisiana is essentially a huge floodplain and what isnt is swampland. Its pretty much that everywhere down here. For the purpose of fishing, there isnt much better than this because the lakes and reservoirs seem to go on forever, but for hiking and camping, Id much recommend taking a trip to northern Louisiana. The highest point in Louisiana is Driskill mountain, and hte area is absolutely beautiful with small cliffsides and rock outcroppings that much more resemble the appalachians and ozarks. I used to be in Boy Scouts, and we would go to Mountain Bayou Scout Camp, near Kisatchie forest and it was beautiful there. Chicot is another fine place to camp in. TOledo Bend is becoming a bit crowded but is also a very nice place to be. For me, a lover of mountains and lakes, Northern Louisiana is the place to visit.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
well, Northern Louisiana is more hilly and wooded. Southern Louisiana is essentially a huge floodplain and what isnt is swampland. Its pretty much that everywhere down here. For the purpose of fishing, there isnt much better than this because the lakes and reservoirs seem to go on forever, but for hiking and camping, Id much recommend taking a trip to northern Louisiana. The highest point in Louisiana is Driskill mountain, and hte area is absolutely beautiful with small cliffsides and rock outcroppings that much more resemble the appalachians and ozarks. I used to be in Boy Scouts, and we would go to Mountain Bayou Scout Camp, near Kisatchie forest and it was beautiful there. Chicot is another fine place to camp in. TOledo Bend is becoming a bit crowded but is also a very nice place to be. For me, a lover of mountains and lakes, Northern Louisiana is the place to visit.
Is there still an active hunting/fishing/outdoor activities interest among some in the Lafayette area despite the swampy terrain and lack of significant forests/woodlands. I actually love bayous and swampy areas - I just want to make sure than an outdoor type of lifestyle can still be a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana