Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:49 PM

59 posts, read 56,616 times

Advertisements

If you move to Louisiana you will make the biggest mistake of your life. You are from New York City. You are much better off in South Florida which is a combo of both the big city life and the rural south.

People will not be welcoming to you at all. You will be seen as the outsider for 30 years. You will find difficulty securing employment and if you do, it will be for low wages. This is the one state where it is held against you if you did not grow up here.

It might be nice to live in a small town like that for a year, but after that, you will be bored. As you are in your mid 20s and single, you will find pickings are slim for relationships. Most of the people in La. small towns are from there. They met their significant other in high school. Aside from the occasional person who left the town and came back, most will be married, married with children, or not married with children.

There are few nightlife options in these towns. Prejudice runs big. Do yourself a favor and if you want to go to Louisiana, go to New Orleans. Take it from someone who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bntbr12 View Post
If you move to Louisiana you will make the biggest mistake of your life. You are from New York City. You are much better off in South Florida which is a combo of both the big city life and the rural south.

People will not be welcoming to you at all. You will be seen as the outsider for 30 years. You will find difficulty securing employment and if you do, it will be for low wages. This is the one state where it is held against you if you did not grow up here.

It might be nice to live in a small town like that for a year, but after that, you will be bored. As you are in your mid 20s and single, you will find pickings are slim for relationships. Most of the people in La. small towns are from there. They met their significant other in high school. Aside from the occasional person who left the town and came back, most will be married, married with children, or not married with children.

There are few nightlife options in these towns. Prejudice runs big. Do yourself a favor and if you want to go to Louisiana, go to New Orleans. Take it from someone who knows.
I see we have a new troll who "knows"

Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
Quote:

say what? Louisiana has always been welcoming to outsiders. My family has a Chinese last name and was never treated any differently from someone with a Cajun name or descent. I honestly dont see this whole "outsider-phobia" that you are trying to describe. Louisiana isnt osme backwoods bunch of towns. There are very modern cities taking root here and many people are taking notice of the growing job market and high tech industry that is taking root. Lafayette especially sticks to its Cajun roots while being absolutely open to outsiders. On top of that, this city is well known for its night life. Downtown and the strip are very busy areas and so now is River Ranch. There is no shortage of nightlife in this town. I dont know about Baton Rouge these days but definitely not here.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
The only thing I can figure is that some have just had bad experiences here, so that's all they know. You and I haven't, on balance, and we don't take such broad-brushed characterizations personally. Still, its sad that some hold such a fatalistic view for whatever reason. I can't blame bntbr12 at all. And shame on those who gave him this impression, but I wish he'd get out a bit more before declaring the whole of Louisiana's (except for New Orleans) populace as xenophobic racists, etc.

It does get stale after a while....

Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
....Downtown and the strip are very busy areas....
Great post! But I must opine that if you are old enough to legally get drunk at the strip, you are too old to go to the strip.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:03 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
Great post! But I must opine that if you are old enough to legally get drunk at the strip, you are too old to go to the strip.
thats true but I only ever went there as a spectator. I dont actually drink at all.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Seems to be a lot of those lately .

Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM

59 posts, read 56,616 times
I would know about a transplants exprience more than you as you have stated you lived in the BR area your whole life.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:55 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
Quote:
Most of the people in La. small towns are from there. They met their significant other in high school. Aside from the occasional person who left the town and came back, most will be married, married with children, or not married with children.

None of that has anything to do with being a " transplant " . Where did you get these " facts " ?

Old 11-10-2010, 11:10 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Quote:
I would know about a transplants exprience more than you as you have stated you lived in the BR area your whole life.
On the contrary. I have lived in New Orleans, Houston, a small town nobody has ever heard of, and Pascagoula/Gautier Mississippi. I have just lived in Baton Rouge the longest. I have also spent several weeks--a few months in several other cities in the U.S. including New York and Philadelphia. My humble preference is for Baton Rouge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana