Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM

8 posts, read 37,854 times

Advertisements

hi guys, so i joined this site to get some feed back. i am 22 years old, soon to be a college graduate. i live in NYC but have lived here all my life and hate the fast life. iam looking to move down south, (ish) i really like louisiana and was wondering if anyone had any good advice on a small town....mid/north of the state. i know it sounds silly, but i would like some place relatively QUITE....15-20,000 ppl, good schools, church, maybe some good restaurants?? i guess a little night life is always good, not big on the city scene though.... im really looking to get away from city life and would like to be "smalltown" living....
anybody a fan of trueblood on HBO?? sookie stackhouse living is the best way to explain.
im PRETTY outdooorSYY....so spread out land is okay.

i hope to make a permanent home of louisianna, the food and culture look so interesting and i love the scene and wheather.....

again...any advice on some small parishes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeane11 View Post
hi guys, so i joined this site to get some feed back. i am 22 years old, soon to be a college graduate. i live in NYC but have lived here all my life and hate the fast life. iam looking to move down south, (ish) i really like louisiana and was wondering if anyone had any good advice on a small town....mid/north of the state. i know it sounds silly, but i would like some place relatively QUITE....15-20,000 ppl, good schools, church, maybe some good restaurants?? i guess a little night life is always good, not big on the city scene though.... im really looking to get away from city life and would like to be "smalltown" living....
anybody a fan of trueblood on HBO?? sookie stackhouse living is the best way to explain.
im PRETTY outdooorSYY....so spread out land is okay.

i hope to make a permanent home of louisianna, the food and culture look so interesting and i love the scene and wheather.....

again...any advice on some small parishes??
Hey, this doesn't help you at all, but I just wanted to say that I live in northern NJ right now, about 1/2 hour from NYC, have lived here all my life, and can't stand it any longer either. I'm tired of the fast/rushed pace, the ridiculous cost of living, rude people, constant traffic, NJ government, pollution, overcrowding, etc. I'm probably moving for many similar reasons. I fell in love with Louisiana a long time ago and I just got back from a fantastic trip there. It's really a gorgeous state.

Love True Blood as well. I'm going to follow your thread as well and check out the direction you're going in.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:46 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
Look into Natchitoches.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
Ditto: Natchitoches is really a gem if you like a small, college-town atmosphere with decent historic preservation & lots of history. Not too far from S'port ...about 70 minutes drive north to get a bigger city fix for weekend shopping, dining, etc.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM

GREAT! thanks guys, i actually heard from a friend that natchitoches is really nice. and for my friend in the north, you sound exactly like me! i cant stand the scene anymore. im just not built for the city anymore, i suffer from really bad anxiety attacks.... panic disorder. The traffic, the parking (especially in the city, i go to john jay college on 59thst) is REDICULOUS. im soooo ready to move down south where life is just a little slower, and u actually get a chance to enjoy it....rather then being rushed...or scared (im HORRIBLY affraid of rodents and there everywhere in NYC) or killed by the pollution!

i really would like to find a small town with friendly people, someplace i can call home. i really wanna buy a house and fix it all up, start from scratch......and if all goes well raise my family there....grow old NICE and SLOW.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
What kind of job are you looking for ? There are plenty of great small towns , but many of them have little to no employment opportunities . You gotta be able to pay the bills .

Old 01-22-2010, 03:13 PM

well im a criminal justice major....id be qualified to do alot. i was searching average income....and in LA the average single persons income in shreveport was 19,400. the average income in LA as a state....was something like 42,000 a household. i mean, as a single person living in NYC, i pay rent and all of my other bills but everything is SOOOOOO expensive. i guess i would have to work pretty close to the city or someplace that i could find work.
im actually doing my intern at homeland security......finding a job shouldnt be to hard. but i really would like more feed back on other small towns

Old 01-24-2010, 08:14 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
Well just one caveat about Natchitoches "traffic jams" on Keyser bridge. The Cane River separates the old Natchitoches proper from Keyser and there's the Church St. bridge. Later afternoon... it's a crawl...they have a city policeman stand at the corner and manually control the traffic light. It is an inconvenience but what can you do? So if you can avoid early AM & late afternoon "rush hour" you'll be fine.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
I've been to Natchitoches. You have got to be kidding me.

There are far better places in this region. Seriously.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 AM

help me out then....please? hahah i know NOTHING about louisiana...so im depending on other people. i wont be able to visit until august and i dont plan on moving until i graduate next may. my mom has been own there a bunch of times but only to new orleans.

what better places are there?? i would realllyy LOVE the feedback. This is so important, i kinda love this site for how BLUNT people are with eachother. THANKYOU guys though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana