U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:51 PM

53 posts, read 284,487 times

Advertisements

Hello Louisiana,

I'm driving from Columbus OH to Houston TX, using as many scenic routes as possible.

One of the segments I am looking into is the one that goes from New Orleans to Galveston TX, staying on highway 82 the whole way, basically as close to the water as I can get if I want to drive from New Orleans to Houston. My questions:

1- Has anyone tried this route before?

2- There seems to be two ferries I need to use: Cameron Holly Beach Ferry and Port Bolivar Ferry. For the Port Bolivar ferry it seems that they are open 24/7, but I can't find anything about Cameron Holly Beach Ferry. Should I assume they're also open 24/7? Does anyone know anything about this particular ferry?

3- How do ferries work? I've never been on one, so sorry for the stupid questions. Do we pay to get on? I can actually drive my car onto the ferry and park it on there? Do I sit in my car during the whole ride? How long is the ride?

Surprisingly, google isn't really giving me too much information. Any info, advice, or anything that you can think of would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks for your time!

rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:57 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,390,578 times
LaDOTD: Ferry Status
Cameron Ferry is 24/7

I've never riden a state-run ferry, but for the city ferries you pay a dollar or with a pre-paid scrip. If it's a pedestrian ferry you have to leave the car, if a car ferry is online that day you can drive on and park. You can either sit in the car or get out and walk around or sit.
I don't know much about LA-82, but I'm curious to know what route you will take in and out of New Orleans.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
LaDOTD: Ferry Status
Cameron Ferry is 24/7

I've never riden a state-run ferry, but for the city ferries you pay a dollar or with a pre-paid scrip. If it's a pedestrian ferry you have to leave the car, if a car ferry is online that day you can drive on and park. You can either sit in the car or get out and walk around or sit.
I don't know much about LA-82, but I'm curious to know what route you will take in and out of New Orleans.
thank you for the reply!

Nothing concrete yet (my trip is in a few weeks so I will have time to plan). I opened another thread under the ohio forum and they've been awesome with their suggestions.

This is the route I had planned before the suggestions:

Columbus-Cincinnati via 71

Cincinnati-Knoxville via 65

From Knoxville I'm going into the nantahala national forest (been wanting to go there for so long), crossing it completely till I get on 85 and go through Atlanta and ending up at Montgomery

In Montgomery I will get on 65 which will dead end into 10

10 will take me straight to New Orleans where I'm planning on spending the night

As for getting out of new orleans, I will get on 90 which will take me to 82 which will take me to 87, which will take me to port bolivar

I make my way to galveston from there and just use highway 45 to make my way up to houston at that point

I really want to see Pensacola, FL (friends) and New Orleans, and the nantahala national forest, hence the long route.

As I mentioned, I've been getting awesome suggestions from so many people, so thisn't even close to being the final route I will take. If you have any suggestions/advice or any thoughts at all, I am all ears. Thank you!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phospho View Post
thank you for the reply!

Nothing concrete yet (my trip is in a few weeks so I will have time to plan). I opened another thread under the ohio forum and they've been awesome with their suggestions.

This is the route I had planned before the suggestions:

Columbus-Cincinnati via 71

Cincinnati-Knoxville via 65

From Knoxville I'm going into the nantahala national forest (been wanting to go there for so long), crossing it completely till I get on 85 and go through Atlanta and ending up at Montgomery

In Montgomery I will get on 65 which will dead end into 10

10 will take me straight to New Orleans where I'm planning on spending the night

As for getting out of new orleans, I will get on 90 which will take me to 82 which will take me to 87, which will take me to port bolivar

I make my way to galveston from there and just use highway 45 to make my way up to houston at that point

I really want to see Pensacola, FL (friends) and New Orleans, and the nantahala national forest, hence the long route.

As I mentioned, I've been getting awesome suggestions from so many people, so thisn't even close to being the final route I will take. If you have any suggestions/advice or any thoughts at all, I am all ears. Thank you!
Since you want scenic, I would take the first exit from I-10 in Mississippi south onto U.S. 90. That way you will drive along the beach through MS, then you will come into the swamps of LA and across the Rigolets into New Orleans. From there you'll enter the levee and head west into the city. In New Orleans you have the choice of street level 90 (Chef Mentuer Hwy -> Gentilly Blvd -> Broad Ave. -> Tulane Ave. -> Claiborne Ave. -> Jefferson Hwy -> Huey P. Long Bridge) or you can take Expressway 90 (Pontchartrain Expwy -> Crescent City Connection/GNO -> Westbank Expwy).

^Just remember if you take U.S. 90 through the city that to turn left in NOLA you have to U-Turn, then turn right.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 02-28-2010 at 11:21 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Since you want scenic, I would take the first exit from I-10 in Mississippi south onto U.S. 90. That way you will drive along the beach through MS, then you will come into the swamps of LA and across the Rigolets into New Orleans. From there you'll enter the levee and head west into the city. In New Orleans you have the choice of street level 90 (Chef Mentuer Hwy -> Gentilly Blvd -> Broad Ave. -> Tulane Ave. -> Claiborne Ave. -> Jefferson Hwy -> Huey P. Long Bridge) or you can take Expressway 90 (Pontchartrain Expwy -> Crescent City Connection/GNO -> Westbank Expwy).

^Just remember if you take U.S. 90 through the city that to turn left in NOLA you have to U-Turn, then turn right.
thanks for the advice!

It seems that I won't be able to see the beach unless I get off I-10 at 609 south (if I get off before, I won't be able to see the beach anyways) and connect with U.S. 90 from there. I can stay on U.S. 90 at that point. However, I've really been wanting to drive on the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway (they say it's one of the biggest bridges). So I figured I could stay on 90 till I cross St. louis bay, take 603 and get back on I-10, connect with 12, then from there take the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway when I reach Mandeville, LA. Then I can just get on I-10 when I get off the bridge, which will take me back to U.S. 90, which will take me to 82 which will take me to 87, which will take me to port bolivar. What are your thoughts on this?

thanks for your help!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,285,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phospho View Post
thanks for the advice!

It seems that I won't be able to see the beach unless I get off I-10 at 609 south (if I get off before, I won't be able to see the beach anyways) and connect with U.S. 90 from there. I can stay on U.S. 90 at that point. However, I've really been wanting to drive on the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway (they say it's one of the biggest bridges). So I figured I could stay on 90 till I cross St. louis bay, take 603 and get back on I-10, connect with 12, then from there take the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway when I reach Mandeville, LA. Then I can just get on I-10 when I get off the bridge, which will take me back to U.S. 90, which will take me to 82 which will take me to 87, which will take me to port bolivar. What are your thoughts on this?

thanks for your help!

Let me start with a correction: It's I-75 from Cincinnati to Knoxville, not 65.

LA-82 and TX-87: You'd better check with the state highway departments before attempting that as I'm not sure they're fully re-opened, especially in Texas. Hurricane Rita made mince-meat of 82 and wiped Cameron off the map. Of course, that was over 4 years ago so maybe they're finished fixing it. Then, of course, there was Ike just over a year ago and it washed out TX-87 in several places, in addition to totally destroying several little towns along that route, such as Chrystal Beach. It didn't do SW Louisiana any good either. The bottom line is find out first before you end up stopped at some point and have to backtrack.

As for those ferries? I can't speak to that other one, but the Bolivar Ferry is free and, yes, you can drive your car right onto it. The trip to Galveston takes about 15 minutes or so and you're free to roam the vessel all you want. There's an indoor seating area for passengers. It's a lovely trip, one I do just for the heck of it anytime I can, though it has been a few years.

One more suggestion: Since you're going through Knoxville anyhow, you might as well go the back routes through the Cumberland Gap (exit off I-75 at Corbin, KY) and spend a day relaxing in Gatlinburg. Forget Pigeon Forge, it's just red-neck glitz worse than Branson anyhow, and drive right on through to Gatlinburg. It's a great place to chill out. And the drive up to Clingman's Dome is worth a side trip. So is Cades Cove.

Mississippi: I pretty sure they've finally replaced the washed out bridge at Long Beach, which Katrina totally destroyed, but you'd better check to be sure. Also, when you leave Gulfport, take note of the miles of empty lots on your right. That used to be covered with houses, but Katrina swept it bare. Even most of the ones which survived Camille back in '69 didn't make it through Katrina.

New Orleans: Save yourself some trouble and don't go through town on the city streets unless you just want to. US-90 through town takes you past some bad neighborhoods, though you'll probably be alright in the day time. Personally, I prefer to take the Huey P. Long bridge to the West Bank instead of the Crescent City Connection because it dumps you right onto US-90 and it's a far more interesting bridge, especially if a train comes across while you're on it. LOL The lanes are a little narrow for modern cars, but it's OK.

US-90 is now nearly all freeway from Raceland to Lafayette, but the old highway is still there, it's just numbered differently. Most of it is called LA-182 and if you want to get off the super highway and see that part of Louisiana up close and personal, that's the way to go.

Have fun!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Well if they come in on the causeway they would be avoiding New Orleans all together and would be close to the Huey P. Long Bridge. Even if they decide to backtrack the neighborhoods along U.S. 90 are nowhere near being the worst. Whatever route they decide I agree about crossing the river on the Huey vs. the GNO. Just make sure that the Huey is open when you decide to come through.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 25,033 times
Hi,
I'm calling from Germany.
Provided, our flight comes about (Island ash cloud!), we would like to drive down by the car from Brownsville/TX to Tampa/FL always as close on the coast as possible. Since the last bigger destruction (Ike?) have passed about 1 1/2 years, we hope to be able to pass the area of Cameron - and of course any other part of the tour - fairly well. How does it look there now, are there motels / hotels? Where must one find at the latest before or at the earliest after Cameron again a bed?
Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 8,880 times
Default Bday

I found your post from 2010 and am wondering if/how your trip through Louisiana and Route 82 through Abbeville and Cameron went. Also how the ferry worked getting to/from Cameron. I can't seem to find any info on that road and the ferry services.

We will be driving from Austin, TX to New Orleans and I am trying to figure out how long the route will take and if we should spend a night in Lafayette and if it is a nice city. So any help there would help.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:02 AM

3 posts, read 25,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bday View Post
I found your post from 2010 and am wondering if/how your trip through Louisiana and Route 82 through Abbeville and Cameron went. Also how the ferry worked getting to/from Cameron. I can't seem to find any info on that road and the ferry services.

We will be driving from Austin, TX to New Orleans and I am trying to figure out how long the route will take and if we should spend a night in Lafayette and if it is a nice city. So any help there would help.
Hi Bday,

amazing that you found my posting after that time!

1. We did not drive through Lafayette and didn't stop in Abbeville.
2. Due to a maloperation of my (German) navigation device we left TX82 and headed north an TX27. After I realized it, it was not worth anymore to U-turn and return. So we didn't use the Cameron Holly beach ferry.

mod edit

Hope this helps with your strategy.

Regards Walot1936

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-23-2012 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: never a good idea to put your email on this large a forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana