U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 PM
 
1,373 posts, read 2,442,173 times
Reputation: 1043

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
You haven't seen bad roads til you have driven through New York city. YIKES!

They city is so crazy busy and the streets are so packed that it is impossible for any area to be shut down for any amount of time to repair the potholes.

Oh....and since we are on roads...the toll road fees in NYC are INSANE!
Been there done that, forget it New orleans roads are way worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,178,073 times
Reputation: 655
As far as side streets, no place is worse than New Orleans. Driving on some of the residential streets in NOLA is comparable to off roading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 PM
 
203 posts, read 278,182 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
The list is complete bullsh*t, basically. Illinois roads and Louisiana roads are basically in the same boat, but they are listed almost on the opposite end of the spectrum. Also, Texas should be much higher on the list, and Mississippi, much lower.

I grew up in New Iberia and lived in Chicago from 2005-2008. The roads in New Iberia are way worse than in Chicago, at the very least. I don't know about rural IL. Chicago has road construction every spring and summer, and I mean EVERY spring and summer. The only time I've seen major construction in New Iberia streets is after Obama passed something about building better roads. Now, New Iberia and Chicago are apples and oranges, but since I've lived in both places, I needed to speak up.

In addition to that, my dad drove a Prius in New Iberia for a year. I took it to Vegas (never Chicago), and the MPG shot up about ten miles a gallon on the highway. Looking back at all the potholes in New Iberia, I could see why his MPG suffered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,178,073 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy506 View Post
I grew up in New Iberia and lived in Chicago from 2005-2008. The roads in New Iberia are way worse than in Chicago, at the very least. I don't know about rural IL. Chicago has road construction every spring and summer, and I mean EVERY spring and summer. The only time I've seen major construction in New Iberia streets is after Obama passed something about building better roads. Now, New Iberia and Chicago are apples and oranges, but since I've lived in both places, I needed to speak up.

In addition to that, my dad drove a Prius in New Iberia for a year. I took it to Vegas (never Chicago), and the MPG shot up about ten miles a gallon on the highway. Looking back at all the potholes in New Iberia, I could see why his MPG suffered.
Bascially by saying you don't know about outside of Chicago is the same as saying you really don't know what you're talking about. It's a big state, you know. So is Louisiana.

http://www.illinoispirg.org/newsroom/more-news/more-news/misplaced-highway-spending-to-blame-for-crumbling-roads-and-bridges (broken link)

Last edited by MetroBTR; 03-09-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,361 posts, read 20,798,513 times
Reputation: 9261
Are Chicago's city streets and roads perfect? Like here in Houston, if a visitor spends alot of time on the freeways they would think all the roads here are glorious smooth pieces of perfection but the roads here are the worst I've driven on, other than New Orleans' city streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 09:37 PM
 
203 posts, read 278,182 times
Reputation: 138
Annie_himself, if they were perfect, they wouldn't be improving the roads every summer.
MetroBTR, have you driven the entire state of IL and the entire state of LA? You should give yourself a medal for that. I posted that I was comparing apples to oranges, but from what I've seen of both states, LA's roads are worse. You shouldn't feel personally threatened by a study showing that. You're not in charge of the DOT, are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Youngsville, LA
431 posts, read 970,178 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy506 View Post
Annie_himself, if they were perfect, they wouldn't be improving the roads every summer.
MetroBTR, have you driven the entire state of IL and the entire state of LA? You should give yourself a medal for that. I posted that I was comparing apples to oranges, but from what I've seen of both states, LA's roads are worse. You shouldn't feel personally threatened by a study showing that. You're not in charge of the DOT, are you?
I haven't been to New Iberia (my birthplace) in a while. What road work took place? I know Hwy 90 has seen some overpass construction in that area. In Lafayette, Hwy 90 is currently being widened to six lanes from Pinhook to the Hwy 182 (Cade) exit. Good thing, because that is one clogged six-mile stretch of highway...

I am no expert, but someone recently told me that when Hwy 90 (Evangeline Thruway) was constructed way back in the early sixties, it was built to 50 year standards as opposed to I-10 at 20 year standards. And once I thought about it, Hwy 90 really hasn't required much maintenance over the decades, especially when considering the heavy truck traffic. I guess we'll see if this widening project isn't much more than just a re-striping, albeit a few feet wider.

Last edited by JimLFT; 03-10-2011 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 PM
 
Location: West Des Moines, IA
392 posts, read 653,676 times
Reputation: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
I haven't been to New Iberia (my birthplace) in a while. What road work took place? I know Hwy 90 has seen some overpass construction in that area. In Lafayette, Hwy 90 is currently being widened to six lanes from Pinhook to the Hwy 182 (Cade) exit. Good thing, because that is one clogged six-mile stretch of highway...

I am no expert, but someone recently told me that when Hwy 90 (Evangeline Thruway) was constructed way back in the early sixties, it was built to 50 year standards as opposed to I-10 at 20 year standards. And once I thought about it, Hwy 90 really hasn't required much maintenance over the decades, especially when considering the heavy truck traffic. I guess we'll see if this widening project isn't much more than just a re-striping, albeit a few feet wider.
I'm still wondering how they're going to continue I-49 through Lafayette to merge with US 90. I honestly don't see them ever using the current "Route d'Evangeline" as a freeway, but they're going to have to connect US 90 south of town up to the interstate somehow, in order to complete that coastal I-49 expansion from Lafayette through New Iberia, Morgan City, Thibodaux, and the Westbank...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Youngsville, LA
431 posts, read 970,178 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
I'm still wondering how they're going to continue I-49 through Lafayette to merge with US 90. I honestly don't see them ever using the current "Route d'Evangeline" as a freeway, but they're going to have to connect US 90 south of town up to the interstate somehow, in order to complete that coastal I-49 expansion from Lafayette through New Iberia, Morgan City, Thibodaux, and the Westbank...
FWIW

Interstate 49 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 PM
 
Location: USA
2,819 posts, read 6,933,256 times
Reputation: 1970
Parish with the best roads IMO is Claiborne Parish on the Arkansas border. There are roads which have had no maintenance and didn't need any because they were still smooth and still are. There is traffic on these roads because the route through the parish is the most direct route to El Dorado Ark and ultimately Little Rock from Shreveport. There is quite a bit of truck traffic through there. Lake Claiborne is located there and there are some fantastic panoramic views. It's just a shame there is so much poverty around there. Even so, the place is generally clean and litter is at a minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top