Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times

Advertisements

By which I mean according to wikipedia their language is dying out. If their music persists it surely can't be that far behind. Is Acadiana just a tourism promoting effort, or is this still a real, strong culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
say what?
No its still quite alive and kicking.
Cajun music and culture is spreading further and further out.
Cajun French is still spoken by lots of people in the smaller towns.
Cajun food has never been better.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
By which I mean according to wikipedia their language is dying out. If their music persists it surely can't be that far behind. Is Acadiana just a tourism promoting effort, or is this still a real, strong culture?
I agree with Innotech, but I know what you are getting at. Cajun french is really the issue here. Not sure if it will be enough, but there are numerous French Immersion programs created precisely to address the perpetuation of, and hopefully the growth of, the language itself. Someone else can chime in as to the success of these programs.

But, all the other facets of the Cajun culture have never been bigger or as far reaching. As Innotech stated, the language is still spoken. Even in news casts and commercials.

Laissez les bon temps roulet!

Last edited by JimLFT; 03-07-2011 at 09:36 PM..

Old 03-09-2011, 06:25 AM

420 posts, read 479,062 times
Whenever I visit Lafayette, I feel like a hot wing dipped in cajun culture. There is no way its dying out. You may have a point though with the language....but my guess is its not, I'm still asking what stuff means.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
I'm not sure about the future of the language itself, but the music and food will endure.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
The language issue is real. We have the Anglo teachers to thank for beating my grandmother's generation everytime they spoke French in school. Now its cool again to flaunt your Cajun roots, but there are changes that have severely affected the authenticity. There is a society determined to maintain French in South Louisiana called codifil and they've made some strides. A lot of people in my generation are highly proficient in modern French, because their families laid down a foundation with the Cajun French which allowed us to excel when learning the new version in school. And even though the older generation can't always understand the new variety, they're still happy to hear young people speaking some version of it. The other aspects of the culture, now that its "okay" again to take pride in it, are stronger than ever. Zydeco music, for example, has been around for a long time and young guys are mixing it with other genres, but its more popular than ever.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:09 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times
Language I can see. Music? It's on the decline overall, but it will remain strong in Louisiana. Food? Never. Ever. In a million years. ...and if it ever tried, I'd fight to the death to save it.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 PM

392 posts, read 749,384 times
Last I heard, the francophone population of Louisiana has been going up in the past decade or two, especially thanks to CODOFIL. It's a damn shame what the state did under Huey P. Long to crush the Cajun culture, but don't believe Wikipedia. It is certainly alive. Just go take a walk down Rue Jefferson or Rue Principale in Lafayette... If you want to see Cajun/French culture, visit Festivals Acadiens et Creoles, and Festival International de Louisiane, both in Lafayette. They're the best festivals I've ever been to!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:26 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Last I heard, the francophone population of Louisiana has been going up in the past decade or two, especially thanks to CODOFIL. It's a damn shame what the state did under Huey P. Long to crush the Cajun culture, but don't believe Wikipedia. It is certainly alive. Just go take a walk down Rue Jefferson or Rue Principale in Lafayette... If you want to see Cajun/French culture, visit Festivals Acadiens et Creoles, and Festival International de Louisiane, both in Lafayette. They're the best festivals I've ever been to!
No wonder we love you so much at raginpagin.com!

LFTCajun

Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 PM

392 posts, read 749,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
No wonder we love you so much at raginpagin.com!

LFTCajun
Hey I may be a North Louisiana/East Texas guy, but I certainly can show some love for good ol' Acadiana too! I spend loads of time in Lafayette and it's a great small city. You can't easily top the folks there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana