U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,376,722 times

Advertisements

The Best, Worst, and Deadliest Roads in America: The Rankings | Driving | Reader's Digest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,390,578 times
5 years ago that would have been true. As far as 2010 that's a lie.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,919,848 times
Just saw that. I remember so many times traveling on I-55 going north into Mississippi where I thought my family's car was going to bounce into space. Granted, I haven't driven in Louisiana in a while (last time was in September briefly in the Vidalia/Ferriday area...before that I drove to New Orleans from FL)...and while I do remember very bad roads existing, some leniency has to be given for the Katrina damage in the east.

Now, with that said, the I-10 Miss River Bridge in Baton Rouge going east towards the junction with I-110 is a complete mess. As are many local/state roads throughout the state. I-12 seems good overall (at least, I've never had any problems). For me, Louisiana has too many roads that were made of concrete slabs that have not been thoroughly kept up, leading to all kinds of bumps and holes.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 PM

Also, I want to add a comment about what they said about the Causeway being one of the worst roads in the country (see Bottom 15 Link):

People know what they are getting into on the Causeway. It's 24 miles long, it crosses a very, very large lake in the very center of it, and in the middle, you can't see either shore. Now, if that frightens you, why cross it? I've only gone across it once...just to say I've been...and it was in July. Naturally, afternoon thunderstorms happen in July...and one happened to be on the causeway in the middle. It was sunny when I left Metairie, and sunny when I got to Mandeville, but there was extreme wind, rain, and lightning in the middle (I think even a little hail!). Did I get scared and stop? No. I turned on my lights, slowed down, and kept an eye out behind me for traffic until I was able to see decently ahead of me again...like anyone should. Sometimes I just don't understand people. /end rant/vent

Old 03-16-2010, 07:14 PM

245 posts, read 415,654 times
My immediate thought was "I beg to differ"... then I opened the link and saw CA at #48. I just made the round trip from Reno through Sacramento to San Francisco and back. I lived many years in South Louisiana. I've driven all over the place for trips offshore. I've never encountered a road in South Louisiana as bad as the roads I just traveled.

It seems to be a yearly battle for them in the higher elevations; they pave as much as they can accomplish spring through fall and then winter hits. The snow removal equipment makes a disaster out of the roads by spring again. Now, at the lower elevations, there's no excuse for the terrible crap we drove on between Sacramento and San Francisco.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:03 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,073 times
The list is complete bullsh*t, basically. Illinois roads and Louisiana roads are basically in the same boat, but they are listed almost on the opposite end of the spectrum. Also, Texas should be much higher on the list, and Mississippi, much lower.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
The list is complete bullsh*t, basically. Illinois roads and Louisiana roads are basically in the same boat, but they are listed almost on the opposite end of the spectrum. Also, Texas should be much higher on the list, and Mississippi, much lower.
Illinois actually has great roads outside of some Chicago freeways. In fact, driving through southern and central Illinois, it's difficult to come across bad roads, although there are some. The interstates are in particularly great condition.

Texas' problem is most likely with roads that aren't interstates/freeways or major four lane thoroughfares. I've come across many FM roads that were just terrible.

Mississippi's high point is their four laning of many of the US and some state highways. US Highways 98 and 45, and MS 63 are great examples of why they aren't near the bottom.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:39 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,178,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Illinois actually has great roads outside of some Chicago freeways. In fact, driving through southern and central Illinois, it's difficult to come across bad roads, although there are some. The interstates are in particularly great condition.

Texas' problem is most likely with roads that aren't interstates/freeways or major four lane thoroughfares. I've come across many FM roads that were just terrible.

Mississippi's high point is their four laning of many of the US and some state highways. US Highways 98 and 45, and MS 63 are great examples of why they aren't near the bottom.
Do a search for best roads and see how many lists put Texas at or near the very top of the list. While there is alot of traffic in urban areas, the roads are in tip top shape. There is not even room to argue on that one.

I respectfully disagree with you on the condition of the roads in Illinois. In my trips through Illinois I have experienced nothing to make me think that the interstates are in any better shape than in any other state. I found many secondary highways average at best. DEFINITELY not better than Texas, Florida, and Tennessee, even though it was ranked many spots ahead of them.

As far as Mississippi goes, they have made improvements, especially to I-59 in the last few years (Thank GOD they are fixing that crazy curve in Laurel right around the hospital). I-55 stinks, plain and simple. A sorry excuse for an interstate highway, sort of like I-10 through New Orleans East. ba-bump-ba-bump-ba-bump. The set-up of I-55 through Jackson is extremely confusing. And the surface streets in Jackson are the joke of the century. Take a ride along East Fortification or Capitol...

Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,390,578 times
I can't speak for the rest of the state, but as far as the southern portion of Louisiana; the interstates are in good condition. The stretch between MS and slidell is decent. Slidell to the Lake was redone a couple of years ago. They repaved the New Orleans East stretch over a year ago. I-10 through Metairie, now at 12 lanes, is the widest and probably smoothest highway in the state. From Metairie out to the lake is descent. It's being redone in Baton Rouge and was widened recently widened from TX to a little east of Lake Charles. The rest is above decent. I-55 was recently resurfaced. I-12 and I-59 are decent. Streets in New Orleans are bad, but usually good in the metro area as a whole.

Texas freeways are in top condition with some exceptions, but the city streets can be horrible; especially in Houston and Dallas.

Mississippi's only good roads are the ones that were built or worked on in the last 5 years. The rest are horrible.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:37 AM

560 posts, read 1,529,866 times
And I always thought those were here in New Mexico. I go to Lake Charles about once a year... much better roads than Santa Fe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or