Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 PM

5 posts, read 28,519 times

Advertisements

how good is the petroleum engineering program at ul lafayette?
what are the job prospects and expected remuneration for a master of science grad in the area?
what are the housing costs and general cost of living?
Is it better to live on campus or off campus?
and finally,...any information about the program would be greatly appreciated,..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
I'm in a similar field. LSU ChemE --> Nat. Gas Manager.

I've heard little of Lafayette engineering since my firm is upstate. Lafayette has a lot of jobs right now and you should be able to get yourself one with a B.S.

ULL, Tech, and LSU are the only instituitons having an exclusive petroleum field. Petroleum is very specifically based, so be sure that is what you want to do. I usually rec. chemical engineering since it is broader but petroleum engineering gives you the best chance working for an oil company out of college.

ULL's program isn't nationally ranked, however, it is located in a quality area. One of the capital cities of oil, outside of Houston. For this reason, I believe it is a good program, but since I haven't had individual experience with the program, I can't say. You will be close to internships, etc. by residing in the Lafayette area.

ULL is a smaller school, but from what I've seen it has a lot of heart. If you're serious about a job in the petroleum industry and like the city of Lafayette, I think it would be a superb fit for you!

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionpaw123 View Post
how good is the petroleum engineering program at ul lafayette?
what are the job prospects and expected remuneration for a master of science grad in the area?
what are the housing costs and general cost of living?
Is it better to live on campus or off campus?
and finally,...any information about the program would be greatly appreciated,..
M.S. isn't really necessary for the field, however I did get mine. You will make around 60k. after college with either a B.S./M.S. until you get into something else.

Visit the campus, but I imagine cost of living is low, and you may have more fun living on campus!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:39 PM

i appreciate the information. 60k doesn't sound like much, i was hoping for more,........

it does sound like a fun town though

Old 06-27-2009, 04:26 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Quote:
i appreciate the information. 60k doesn't sound like much, i was hoping for more,........

it does sound like a fun town though
60k in Lafayette is actually not bad. youll live pretty well with that kind of income here. cost of living is quite low. The only thing above average is housing costs.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:51 PM

i thought with a masters in that field, one could command almost six figures,.....at least that's what different salary stats show.........oh well, i'll just have to wait and see....

Old 06-27-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
i thought with a masters in that field, one could command almost six figures,.....at least that's what different salary stats show.........oh well, i'll just have to wait and see....
Not wanting to disclose my information, but, "you'll get there."

Old 06-28-2009, 10:09 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
It takes alot of hard work and time, but my dad is definitely proof that you can. At this point, hes pretty much irreplaceable where he is employed.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
It takes alot of hard work and time, but my dad is definitely proof that you can. At this point, hes pretty much irreplaceable where he is employed.
Yeah, I know a lot of guys like this. I'd like to think of myself as one but..who knows.

Actually, a lot of guys with just HS diplomas can make something of themselves. Mid-100's.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 10,256 times
you can command six figures in petroleum engineering as long as you work as a drilling engineer and not a desk job. But be warned the life of a petroleum engineer that is in the field and drills is not easy you have to work twelve hour days and you'll more than likely be working offshore for 2 to three weeks at a time before coming home for about two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana