U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,467,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
Ah, Louisiana just can't seem to catch a break!
I'm very worried about the Chandelier Islands. National treasure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:31 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,467,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
We live in SE Florida and we discovered one place charging over 20 bucks a pound for medium shrimp. We hope he stays full and no one buys them....It is a terrible thing for me to say but it is another thing to gouge Americans and shame on the business.

Where the heck is FEMA and their wonderful ways of doing things? Eating donuts. I have been trained in FEMA and the many possibilties and tasks presented to them turn into a real impossibility. Why?

Do they really need to make a complete project out of everything? Why? When they arrive things go this way and that way. Then we soon discover their Red Tape which is not necessary to complete the job. I say "FEMA! Give the town your tools and step aside" Just do what you are suppose to do and stop lingering and mulling around.

Darn shame on FEMA too..

I volunteered at the Astrodome during Katrina relief. Management ineptitude was an enormous problem but that's what happens when you have multiple people who are ineffective in a general sense but still manage to manifest big egos about their extensive disaster relief experience all trying to lead at the same time while in the absence of any formal chain of command and no one has any real spending or executive authority because they have to fill out 10 forms to hand out a water bottle or make data entries on an antiquated, horribly conceived computer program.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 AM

2,192 posts, read 6,411,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
This is very, very sad, especially for the folks of Louisiana. It's been tough times for them lately.

If you're a shrimp lover, stock up now. The prices will be doubling very soon!

This is so not true and a disservice to the good people of Louisiana and the gulf coast that fish for a living.

Our seafood is safe and will not double in price. Only a small area of Louisiana's coast is affected by this spill and it will most likely stay east of the Mississippi river.

Louisiana just sent a group of politicians to Washington to inform the rest of America that our seafood is safe to eat because the news media is misinforming people and spreading lies.

People are all ready canceling vacations along the gulf coast because of the rumors being tossed around about all the beaches being damaged by oil.

Some vendors are canceling seafood orders because they think we would try and ship oil coated seafood.

People need to quit spreading rumors because all it does is hurt peoples lives and destroy peoples business.

busta

Old 05-06-2010, 10:54 AM

4,590 posts, read 5,182,363 times
Read this article. Wonderful.

Feds let BP avoid filing blowout plan for Gulf rig - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100506/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_blowout_plan - broken link)

Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
This is so not true and a disservice to the good people of Louisiana and the gulf coast that fish for a living.

Our seafood is safe and will not double in price. Only a small area of Louisiana's coast is affected by this spill and it will most likely stay east of the Mississippi river.

Louisiana just sent a group of politicians to Washington to inform the rest of America that our seafood is safe to eat because the news media is misinforming people and spreading lies.

People are all ready canceling vacations along the gulf coast because of the rumors being tossed around about all the beaches being damaged by oil.

Some vendors are canceling seafood orders because they think we would try and ship oil coated seafood.

People need to quit spreading rumors because all it does is hurt peoples lives and destroy peoples business.

busta
Yep, Busta is right. Most of our seafood comes from west of the mouth of the Mississippi river and the spill is still east of it.

I hope they get that cap on it. Cross your fingers this works.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:03 PM

4,740 posts, read 9,133,417 times
The dome (cofferdam) arrived on site today (May 6). It will take a couple of days to secure it to the seafloor, then a couple more days to connect the dome to a ship. Pray that BP starts pumping by Monday. This dome (plus a second dome) is expected to capture about 80% of the leaking oil. There were three leaks, one already got plugged.

The well may take three months to be plugged.

So far, volunteer groups are focused on picking up litter from the beaches - oil sticks to trash so pre-cleaning is a good move. When / if the oil comes ashore, volunteers will be needed for clean up, but special training is required - IIRC the training classes for volunteers are getting set up now. Also, special training is required for cleaning up oiled birds and animals.

Since no oil has come ashore yet, some beach rental companies are relaxing their cancellation policies (no cancellation penalties if oil comes ashore). If you have a beach vacation scheduled, go ahead and maybe pick up some litter while you're there. If you don't have a beach vacation scheduled, there are good deals out there, go ahead and maybe pick up some litter.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 PM

8,703 posts, read 13,043,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Size of Spill in Gulf of Mexico Is Larger Than Thought - NYTimes.com

The off shore oil rig is now spilling up to 40,000 gallons a day. This sucks! Louisiana has one of the most unique and thriving ecosystems in the country. I'm praying for the best way to clean this up.
I know, I really hope its going to be plugged soon. I lived in the New Orleans area, in Metairie until I was 7 years old but have lived in Maryland since. My family still misses the area and still remember Mardi Gras, fishing and boating in Lake Ponchartrain and visiting the beaches over in Mississippi. It's very sad to see all the news coverage and all the dead marine life washing up ashore.

The news also seemed to have overlooked the 11 workers who lost their lives in this tragedy in its focus on the environmental impact, there was very little attention to those workers compared to the West Virginia miners but they will be in my prayers as well. I'll be visiting New Orleans against in 2012 for a convention and am already looking forward to it. Nothing in Maryland or Baltimore compares to NOLA and Louisiana, the only way Maryland is better is the lack of hurricanes, they're all tropical storms by the time they get here.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:25 PM

8,703 posts, read 13,043,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I wonder why the oil companies can't have a joint contigency plan and equipment to deal with the possibility of this kind of occurence.

Maybe they do?

I feel ashamed that BP has yet again ballsed things up.

(From someone who lived in Houston when BP had that explosion at their refinery).
This really is hurting BP's reputation, almost forgot about what happened in Houston. They like to advertise as being more environmentally friendly compared to the other oil companies and how they're looking into alternative energy sources. At least they promised to pay for the spill while Exxon still owes Alaska money from 1988, and that happened because of an incompetent and drunk ship captain. So far I'm not avoiding BP gas stations like I am Citgo (due to their connections to the communist Chavez in Venezuela) but I'm waiting to see how they manage this. I don't know enough about oil drilling to understand if the proper precautions were taken at the rig but I don't think BP has had as many safety violations as Massey Energy over in West Virginia.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:38 AM

14,089 posts, read 24,372,893 times
If I had the money to play in the stock market (other than a diversified 401K), I'd wait until just before the lawsuits go to court and then buy as much BP stock as I could while the price is low. Then once people's short term memory kicks in and BP recovers the cost of the suits, their stock will go back up and a big payday to anyone who bought their stock while it was low. If you own BP stock, the worst thing to do is to sell right now. Hold onto the stock and continue to buy their stock and you'll be rewarded when it goes back up again.

What's frustrating for many in Louisiana is that so many in the country only think of New Orleans and the delta when talking about Louisiana as if it's the only part of the state. There are many different parts of the state not effected by the oil spill.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm very worried about the Chandelier Islands. National treasure...
Jimbo - It's starting to hit the Islands. See link below.

Significant oil from Gulf of Mexico spill on North Island, Freemason Island of Chandeleur chain | NOLA.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or