Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:52 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This really is hurting BP's reputation, almost forgot about what happened in Houston. They like to advertise as being more environmentally friendly compared to the other oil companies and how they're looking into alternative energy sources. At least they promised to pay for the spill while Exxon still owes Alaska money from 1988, and that happened because of an incompetent and drunk ship captain. So far I'm not avoiding BP gas stations like I am Citgo (due to their connections to the communist Chavez in Venezuela) but I'm waiting to see how they manage this. I don't know enough about oil drilling to understand if the proper precautions were taken at the rig but I don't think BP has had as many safety violations as Massey Energy over in West Virginia.
Hate to break the bad news, but bp has one of the worst safety records around with a number of big time accidents lately in there refinery's, read today's times picayune(new orleans newspaper) and they pretty much lay out the cause of the disaster and bp is mostly to blame. It's called not following procedure and bp will be to blame cause only the co. man on the rig would be able to make a bone headed move like pulling the drilling mud out of the well before the second plug was set. It's spelled out in the paper in such a way that a person that never worked on a drilling rig could most likely understand the human error that caused this tradgedy, but for someone that's worked rigs for years we already knew from earlier reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Another article from today's paper expresses the anger at the the state capital over the lack of oil spill containment equipment being provided by bp oil as promised. St. Benard parish has only recieved 9500 feet of boom while needing 150,000 feet to start fighting the oil slick. BP blows smoke screens on telivision commercials, but need to step it up, didn't they make 27 billion dollars profit last year or was it 37 billion dollars? The slick is 100 by 400 miles to date.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:18 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Hate to break the bad news, but bp has one of the worst safety records around with a number of big time accidents lately in there refinery's, read today's times picayune(new orleans newspaper) and they pretty much lay out the cause of the disaster and bp is mostly to blame. It's called not following procedure and bp will be to blame cause only the co. man on the rig would be able to make a bone headed move like pulling the drilling mud out of the well before the second plug was set. It's spelled out in the paper in such a way that a person that never worked on a drilling rig could most likely understand the human error that caused this tradgedy, but for someone that's worked rigs for years we already knew from earlier reports.
BP DOES have a reputation for not quite practicing what it preaches, but they do heavily rely on sub contractors who may or may not rise to BP's safety standards.

I am employed at a small(ish) oilfield service company who deals directly with BP that has assets and personnel on site working the relief well. Yet, before we as a company were allowed to work for BP as a direct subcontractor, they gave us MAJOR HSE and QAQC anal exams (multiple audits) prior to "green lighting" us. We were required to demonstrate relevant written procedures, safety records back 5 years, competency tracking and an overall "worthiness" to work for them.

I sat like a deer in the headlights on several occasions pleading our worthiness in front of their GOM HSE unit, and eventually put together (with their direct assistance) the processes to win the contract. Was an arduous task, to say the least.

HOWEVER, BP is the name at the very top of the chart, including all accountability and liability for any and every misstep that may occur. Were our personnel found responsible for killing eleven good people and sinking a billion dollar facility, we would be rightly and summarily FIRED, but BP would still be the target of litigation.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:15 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
IRRESPONSIBLE!!

Where is the outrage? I'm pissed!

Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
Well, it appears that the giant containment box hit a snag.....ice. They may have to equip it with de-icers in order for it not to ice up at the bottom of the sea.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Yep that's the way it works, cause BP calls the shots ,all oil company's talk safety and procedures anymore, but do they practice what they preach when dollars are on the line?

Old 05-08-2010, 06:41 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Don't blame BP -- blame all the politicians BP has paid good money for. It always goes back to the same thing: lobbyists buying off congress -- and BP has given millions in order to do things the way they want to and not the way they're supposed to.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:07 AM

I blame the idiot that pulled the drilling mud out of the well before the second plug was set and the well was secured, it's really quit elementary. The chandeleur islands are ruined for years, look at the front page of the Times-Picayune with plenty more to come.
In Alaska there still hasn't been a herring run in prince william sound since the Valdez 1989 over 20 years, brace yourself.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
IRRESPONSIBLE!!

Me too... Lets put BP out of business and drive up the cost of everything from makeup to medicines....

Old 05-09-2010, 09:28 AM

54 posts, read 303,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
IRRESPONSIBLE!!

People ARE outraged, pissed, and nervous for what this is going to do both short and long term. It might not be coming across on here, but any time the oil spill comes up in conversation in real life (and I'm in Plaquemines Parish), there is definitely outrage. The general consensus among people I've talked with is that they'd far prefer a hurricane to this. At least with a hurricane, we know what to expect. This has too many unknowns and the consequences are likely going to be longer lasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana