U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,003,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I can see why people might hate you, but it doesn't have anything to do with your pagan bisexuality, or race. You seem to talk to much.

I bet they can spell too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 06:48 PM

100 posts, read 358,721 times
Morgan City itself is a blue collar town. Treat people with respect, and they will do the same. Tolerant of other cultures? Yes. Liberal? Not even close. Working democrats in this region are mostly moderate or conservative, reasonable, mostly respectful, and aren't actually in love with themselves....which is something that will be radically different for someone who is familiar with Seattle's elitist culture.

If you are condescending, like your posts reflect, you won't fit in. If you can't show respect for different cultures (including religion or political views), you will have problems in Morgan City. Liberalism is far from synonymous with tolerance. Ignorance and arrogance know no political boundaries.

I've lived in Seattle, WA and Novi, Michigan for a while. I can guarantee that you will be out of your comfort zone in Morgan City. If you are really open minded and tolerant of others, you will be okay there...but it's not going to be an effort-free transition.

I personally find the social issues to be worse in parts of southern Ohio than anywhere else that I've lived. I'm sure you were subject to that to some degree in Michigan. Relative to that....Cajuns are typically Catholics (though often not religious), very laid back, and very open to different cultures. They have a reputation for being friendly and talkertive, and typically live up to that reputation. Acadiana is where those types typically live, but there's a good bit of them in Baton Rouge and as far north as Marksville and very predominant in Houma, Iberia, and Broussard. New Orleans is a very open minded area.....and I mean "real" open minded, not the fake crap that you will encounter on the west coast.

Hopefully, you really enjoy fishing and the outdoors.

Last edited by southland; 06-30-2010 at 07:24 PM..

Old 07-03-2010, 03:08 PM

247 posts, read 1,017,978 times
Here's a good rule of thumb. If you're liberally minded and want to move to the south look at bigger cities or some college towns. Austin, TX, New Orleans, Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, Chattanooga or Charlotte are going to be OK. You'll find others like yourself in those cities. Some smaller cities are also progressive but only a few. Asheville, NC, Athens, GA and the research triangle area of North Carolina come to mind. Almost anywhere else and you're going to experience severe culture shock and may not be well accepted. You will be uncomfortable.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 PM

1,172 posts, read 1,872,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris511 View Post
I hate to burst your bubble... I moved to the South from Seattle--biggest mistake of my life!! I was displaced to the South by my ex-husband (a Boeing exec.). If you are a liberal soul with non-fundamentalist beliefs, you will feel like an outcast, I believe. I do!

Ha! Liberalism is a religion in and of itself, and its believers are some of the most extreme there are! Asking a liberal to have tolerance for others is like asking Charles Manson to lay off the goofy talk... without a lot of meds, it ain't gonna happen! If you ask me, folks in LA are much more tolerant than those in Portland or Seattle. Just remember that we all expect others to tolerate our little quirks, but if you promise not to run around Morgan City naked to show off your piercings and tattoos, I won't drive up and down I-5 cranking Michael Savage with my windows open. I use that example to show that liberals usually demand that others "tolerate" much more from them than they are willing to tolerate from others. We all know that the difference between libs and everyone else is that while everyone else ignores or refuses to partake in things that they don't like, liberals demand things that they don't like to be outlawed.... or they demand the things that they do like to be mandatory for everyone else whether "everyone else" (usually a strong majority) wants it or not. Libs don't like guns, SUV's or Walmart... so outlaw them or tax them into non-existence! Liberals do like abortions, condoms in schools, and evolution... so everyone must buy in!

Tolerance? Libs need to start to practice a bit of that themselves.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:58 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,177,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Ha! Liberalism is a religion in and of itself, and its believers are some of the most extreme there are! Asking a liberal to have tolerance for others is like asking Charles Manson to lay off the goofy talk... without a lot of meds, it ain't gonna happen! If you ask me, folks in LA are much more tolerant than those in Portland or Seattle. Just remember that we all expect others to tolerate our little quirks, but if you promise not to run around Morgan City naked to show off your piercings and tattoos, I won't drive up and down I-5 cranking Michael Savage with my windows open. I use that example to show that liberals usually demand that others "tolerate" much more from them than they are willing to tolerate from others. We all know that the difference between libs and everyone else is that while everyone else ignores or refuses to partake in things that they don't like, liberals demand things that they don't like to be outlawed.... or they demand the things that they do like to be mandatory for everyone else whether "everyone else" (usually a strong majority) wants it or not. Libs don't like guns, SUV's or Walmart... so outlaw them or tax them into non-existence! Liberals do like abortions, condoms in schools, and evolution... so everyone must buy in!

Tolerance? Libs need to start to practice a bit of that themselves.
It's posts like this that make me sad that I can only bump people's reputation up one point before I have to "spread it around".

Old 07-11-2019, 08:43 PM

6 posts, read 4,132 times
So, did you move and what do you think? 2019, I'm from the southeast US but have lived my adult life on the west coast. I'm seriously thinking of moving back and Louisiana is very affordable!
I'm thinking of leaving Eugene, OR to the homeless criminals. :/ they can have that big earthquake too. :/

Old 07-12-2019, 07:38 AM

9,205 posts, read 3,777,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickninevah View Post
Hi All,

So I'm looking at a job in Morgan City. But I'm a northern guy. Grew up in Michigan, Living in the Seattle, WA area right now. And I've heard all sorts of horrible rumors about Louisiana culture. That there is a very low education level. That there is still strong racism between blacks and whites. It's very strong Christian religion. And I'm thinking, all these rumors can't be true.

But I don't want to move there and suddenly find out that everyone in town hates me. So I'm looking for some opinions.

I'm Pagan. My wife is bisexual. We're both pretty darn liberal in our political views and are really into equality and tolerance for everyone. Now, I don't mind if people are different. That's the fun of life. We both like meeting new people and learning new cultures. But I don't want to hide who I am or be afraid to walk down the street.

So how about it? Think Morgan City is the type of place that could accept us? How many of those nasty rumors are actually true?
You'll do great and make lots of friends in the oil field support region!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana