U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 PM

10 posts, read 32,169 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the Slidell area for work beginning in at the beginning of June and was curious what information those familiar with the area might have. I wont be able to make the 1000 mile trek to visit beforehand so I'm going to have to make best of people who live there and the internet to find a decent place to live and to try and learn about the area and it's culture.

I'm optimistic that I will find many of the stories and going-thoughts about the NOLA area to be exaggerations and all of the neat character and sights of the area will vastly outweight the negative.

Last edited by slincoln_wx; 05-01-2010 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:04 PM

431 posts, read 965,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slincoln_wx View Post
I will be relocating to the Slidell area for work beginning in at the beginning of June and was curious what information some for familiar folk might have about the area. I wont be able to make the 1000 mile trek to visit beforehand so I'm going to have to make best of people who live there and the internet to find a decent place to live and to try and learn about the area and it's culture.
I'll lead off, but as someone who admittedly doesn't know the area. All I can offer is that the Slidell area has a good reputation. The residents that I know who live there are quite happy.

Expect lot's more input here as it's a rapidly growing area with a sizable population.

Best of luck in finding a good nest!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 10,224 times
Slidell and the Northshore are good places to live. Slidell is about 20 minutes east of NOLA on I-10. The Northshore in general is growing rapidly and good for families. There is alot to do on the northshore and you can get in to the city fairly quickly if you have to. I live in the Mandeville area, so I really am not an expert on Slidell areas to live. Alot of co workers live out there and they like it.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:55 AM

So far I've gotten the impression from multiple places that it's a nice area. Seems to have just about anything you would need - reminds me alot of some of the faster growing suburbs I'm accustomed to in the Des Moines metro area, except for the giant body of water in between.

It generally seems like I wont need to go into the city for much of anything (like groceries, shopping, etc) except for when I want to visit.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:51 PM

245 posts, read 413,683 times
Slidell is a nice area. It's fairly accessible to New Orleans. It's very accessible to the Lake! And, it's a good starting point to make a run to the beaches to the East!!

For me the main downside to Slidell is that you can't really enjoy adult beverages during your excursions into the City due to the drive. But, well, I won't climb up on a pulpit.

Good luck on your move! Enjoy being in the local culture and finding your niche. Don't let any "negative Nancys" get you down. It'll be fun!

Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,800 times
Please let me know your thoughts Slincoln. I am planning a move to Slidell before January 1. I have visited New Orleans many times but have never been to Slidell. After researching living/schooling in the city, I decided to seek out a more suburban atmosphere instead and make the commute. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Overall, I do enjoy Slidell. It's within reach to get to the city if I need to, but there is also enough population around here to have about anything you would need. The things I dont like, however, include the traffic and the poor infrastructure. I can tell that many have moved here since Katrina, but the city has not had time to catch up. Housing costs are still higher than I'd like, but I think that's about how it is for the entire NOLA metro. Maybe less if you lived ~20 miles further in Bay St Louis. But you may end up paying up just as much because of gas.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,768 times
Slincoln and all,

Transfering to Gulf Port May 2011, looking at Slidell as a nice area to raise my two children. My boy plays 12U Travel Baseball and I've seen several decent baseball programs in near by areas (Mandeville) but having some difficulty locating a list of quality Catholic Middle Schools. Any advise regarding schools, travel baseball, other areas near GulfPort... would be greatly appreciated by you and the cast of others on this forum.

thanks in advance-

Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,191,391 times
My daughter lived for several years on Bluebird, which is off Thompson Rd. south of US-190. It was a nice, quiet neighborhood of not too expensive houses and close to anything you needed. By going across the floating bridge at the marina, I-10 into NOLA was easy. So was accessing I-12 for the trip east.

Katrina did a LOT of damage in that neighborhood, though it did not flood. It's been a couple of years since she moved back here, so I can't say if the abandoned houses have been torn down or re-occupied. Some were literally cut in half by falling trees.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:58 PM

The only thing I would add is that traffic in Slidell has seemed to have picked up a bit in recent years, and getting across town during certain parts of the day can take some time. That area by the Marina on Thompson/Bayou Liberty is a bit removed from the expressways and you may have to drive through some moderately congested areas during the rush periods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana