U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2006, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,834 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I want to move to Baton Rouge from NYC in Jan 2007. Hubby is white and I am black. We also have 3 kids ranging in age from 3 to 8.

I understand that Baton Rouge is a diverse city, but can you find areas that are really diverse. Mainly a neighborhood that is racially diverse and middle class and most importantly somewhere that doesn't have a lot of crime. We don't mind moving to the suburbs or other cities right outside the town.

What area has the best schools or would it be best just to send our kids to private school?

Also what areas we should avoid (high crime, bad schools)?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2006, 06:49 PM

24 posts, read 108,183 times
Default diversity

Hi,
Baton Rouge is diverse, but has problems like any rapidly growing city.
Ill give you a couple of great neighborhoods that you might shop real estate in. All of these are located within East Baton Rouge Parish. Surrounding parishes have a little more of the "old south attitude".

check out areas 1,2,4,5 and 6 on this link. I have excluded some of the higher crime areas and areas that may cause you concern down the road.

www.fsbobr.com

whoops, I forgot to address your school question. Zachary currently has some of the highest performing schools in the state. South Baton Rouge has some good public schools.. areas 4 and 5.
hope this helps.

shane

Old 08-09-2006, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,831 times
Thumbs down Dont do it!

I've lived quite a few places, and even though this is the place of my birth, i wouldn't reference this out to anybody. I moved here in 2002, bought a house, and don't think I've ever made a bigger mistake in my 48 years. Louisiana is the poorest state in the U.S, or maybe
2nd behind Mississippi, anyway it shows. Education and literacy levels are very low, and unemployment in my area is 19 percent. I have never seen such a backwards place.
State and local governments are very corrupt and it reminds me of a third world country 50 years behind the times. If u really want diversity check out Washington State. The Seattle/Tacoma area is a great area to live and raise a family if u can live with the rainy season (all the time). Check out the stats. Really don't mean to sound so negative, but until I see some positive, that's all i have to report. Visit for a couple of weeks before commiting and let me know what u think.

Good luck

Old 09-20-2006, 03:48 AM

2 posts, read 12,881 times
I just posted this on anothr post but think u need to read it:

Honestly...

Speaking as a black woman in a relationship with a white man I urge you DONT do it! Im unsure if these posters who posted how accepted it is are IR daters themselves or are only speaking from their own opinions (being accepting) but in general Baton Rouge is intolerant of IR couples. There may not be blatant racism where it interferes with certain aspects, but whoever claims they dont look twice clearly was NOT an interracial dater.

The thing about BR is that people remember faces. And word travels fast. Gossip starts and soon people are staring at you and you have to question how safe your food is from a restuarant.

To stereotype, but give you an overview of what IVE seen,
Black men are VERY unhappy and jealous when they see a WM/BW together. White women are jealous and plotting, Black women are angry at the female and White men are rude and callous, often taking low blows at my love.
They are all disgusted and have no problem saying things like 'white trash' within earshot. (Both whites and blacks)
They openly show their disapproval.

One of the scariest thing that my love and I have experienced is this cook who narrowed his eyes at me and stared in disgust. He did a lot worse and his behavior was entirely inappropriate. But that is just a taste of the hate. No people dont go burning crosses or doing any crazy blatant things like that but they WILL be sure to send the message across that they dont want you racemixing here.

The lady involved with the mexican love, I am soooo happy to hear that she has not been harassed.

I urge you to visit for one week, openly with your love and go many places. Judge for yourself. But hopefully, you can find some better place. I only hope that it isnt too late. We are in the process of moving now. ONLY 2 weeks to go!

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:29 AM

11 posts, read 85,965 times
I respond as a white male who is in an engaged relationship with a black female. I am not surprised with the blatant racism of the people in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The deep south is still a very racially polarizing and anuneducated region in the country. However, why refuse to live in an area with a spouse of a different ethnic background because others reject you? Be strong and follow Christ! I do believe that many interracial (truthfully, race does not exist) couples encounter more rejection than a lot of homosexuals as that deplorable lifestyle is promoted throughout the media and Hollywood. I live in the MD area and while I have had a few stares from angry black men and some white folks I know do not approve of it, I do not have to answer to them so I say live strong and love the person by your heart.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,825 times
I agree with Matt VW. I am from south Louisiana but no longer live there. The culture shock of mixed marriages is fading, thank God. The folks from Louisiana are basically a very good, kind-hearted bunch. Go where you want. You may be the couple to influence others in a positive way. If you stay away from any city for fear of being looked at differently you (we) are all giving into the small town mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana