U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:29 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,003,852 times

Advertisements

Have you been in Mississippi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 09:40 AM

323 posts, read 1,008,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Have you been in Mississippi?
No SacalaitWhisperer, I have lived and been to many states, but I have never been to Louisiana or Mississippi. Closest I've come to either state is being stationed in San Antonio, TX and a business training in upper Georgia state.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:13 AM

[quote=Orestes;14214749]No worries!

I'm sure if you narrow down the questions a bit, plenty of people will be happy to answer for Louisiana. Have you tried the MS forum? If so, any luck?
QUOTE]

An area I'm looking for would be:

Close to beach, but not so close that we have to worry about flooding.. honestly within a short driving distance would be fine!

Lower Crime - don't want to fear living there, nor have to hear sirens & gunshots on a regular basis!

Good Schools - Oldest is in all advanced classes here going into 8th, and I want her to keep the opportunity of excelling and learning. Youngest will be in Kindergarten next year.

No big cities (although I suppose what constitutes "Big City" is totally opinion based!) 3,000 to 30,000 would be best options.

MUST have inexpensive housing options for rentals (Although Craigslist shows many options for 3 bdrms within a good price-range in all the MS coastal cities I've checked, and also in Slidell I believe (?)

I think I'm really leaning toward the MS coastal towns, however is there anything coastal related that newcomers would need to be aware of (other than the occasional hurricane?) Like.. I don't know... People who live in snowbound states know about the salt damage done to cars, that type of thing, but for the beach towns? Is there damage done by the ocean salt air?

What are the bugs like? I read somewhere that they have huge bugs in y'alls area of the U.S. What's that all about?

Will we have to worry about alligators? (Please don't laugh! I really don't know!)

I live in Kentucky now.. and the humidity in the summer sux! Is it REALLY horrible there year-round? Do most rentals have central AC?

What are gas prices like there? Car insurance? groceries? Here in KY gas is like $2.78, car insurance is $110 mo. for 5 yr old car with clean record, and groceries aren't too high. We have 7% sales tax, federal tax, state tax, local tax, county tax, school tax, and "we're going to tax you just for being alive" tax. LOL

The people in the MS forum have suggested Pass Christian, Longbeach, DiamondHead, Picayune (a few) All coastal towns from LA border to Gulfport would be great they say, don't have a lot of damage from Katrina, have rebuilt most damage that did occur, have reasonable housing, and have good schools.

I'm a Northern California native, who loves Southern hospitality, southern accents, small town living and just looking for the best place to settle!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:23 PM

240 posts, read 483,974 times
My choice would be Picayune or Diamondhead, as I once lived about 20 miles from there in the late 1980s. Picayune is growing reasonably fast, and you won't have to worry about a direct hit from a hurricane, though the area did suffer extensive damage with downed trees and tornadoes during Katrina in 2005.

Diamondhead has some reasonably priced housing right now, but it too was hit hard from Katrina, both flooding and heavy wind damage.

I think Diamondhead is served by the Hancock County schools, not the best on the coast, and they used to be very rural-minded in regard to their educational system. Might have improved in the last 24 years though.

Insurance rates will obviously be high due to the wind and flood coverage needs there, I wouldn't live anywhere coastal without either.

You'll pay a very high price for car tags in MS. also, a $30,000.00 car's tags would like run about $800.00 the first year.

Of the two, I like Diamondhead for retired or childless couples, and it's closer to Gulfport and Biloxi.

Picayune probably has a decent school system, and I've never heard anything negative regarding their educational structure.

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 21,553 times
My father's family used to have relatives in Waveland, so the area around Bay St. Louis would be on my list to investigate.

If you're thinking about Slidell, you might also want to consider communities on the north shore that did not experience the storm surge from Hurricane Katrina. Those areas and Picayune experienced growth after Katrina forced people to find new housing.

You'd have to check how much commute time you'd add by living inland instead of on the coast. And you'd have to check whether you can get a better deal on homeowner's insurance by being further inland:

[URL]http://blog.al.com/live/2009/12/state_farm_raises_mississippi.html[/URL]

Waveland Photo: Before and After Katrina
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/97...6bb060ff09.jpg

Last edited by GState; 05-26-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 01:37 PM

Thank you both. Definitely will keep in mind those areas, and also worry about the homeowners insurance, etc. later on down the road (will be renting first for a year or two) IF I get offered the job.. (vacancy announcement just closed in the last few days!)

All your help has been much appreciated! Thanks again and have a great holiday weekend!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 PM

P.S. I guess if I do buy the Hummer H3 I'm looking at, it'll be a pretty penny I'll pay in car tags next year in Mississippi!!!! UGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana