U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 AM

59 posts, read 43,520 times

Advertisements

People in BR HAVE to make the change. Despite the preaching here that the federal gov't should take a hands off approach, BR expects other people to pay for it, plan it, and develop it, so they can use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 03:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,159,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I'm very well aware of the school's history. I know it's not the school's fault or anything. It's Baton Rouge's fault. The city most often always leaves sidewalks up to the developer, which results in incoherent sidewalk infrastructure. The campus is very walkable. In fact, I love walking around campus. But, that's not the point. The city needs to step up to create a better living environment for the residents.

Also, taking the bus more or moving is a terrible way to look at things. I actually do live closer to campus now, off State street and really enjoy walking to class. But, there are hundreds and hundreds of other apartments that don't get that luxury. That's a typical mindset of BR is "if you don't like it, then leave". I'm just not okay with that sentiment. Instead, I like to look at it as "if you don't like it, change it". Tiger trails is great and all, but it's not very helpful if I just want to walk down Burbank to get a sandwich from Subway or walk to the Co-Op to buy books. If you wanna do that from a Burbank apartment, you have to take the bus ALL the way around campus. Or, you can walk in the middle of an extremely busy 4 lane highway to get somewhere that is .3 miles away. Also, in most cities, sidewalks are kind of a given.

There is a very common argument with people from places like Baton Rouge when comparing themselves to other cities. I always hear that it's not fair to compare BR to NOLA or it's not fair to compare LSU to other colleges. Well, that's just the thing. It is fair, because you can always change something. BR has so much potential but so many in BR don't accept the fact that they are the ones who have to make the change. I realized this living in NOLA. We are changing for the better now because citizens have stepped up and taken the reins in their own hands. You can't just accept mediocrity anymore. It stems down to those who want downtown housing and for the city's core to grow so much, yet none of them choose to live there. If you want change in today's world you have to take matters into your own hands.
I apologize for my viewpoint that you should change yourself, not expect the world to change for you.

I will also inform you that while I don't live in the downtown core (don't live very far, either) I own a business in Mid-City, and have been at that location for decades now. I have quite an invested interest in the future of the area.

The thing you also need to understand is that in order to understand what is going on in a community within a city, you have to be there. It sounds like you may know what is going on south of campus, I don't think you understand much of what is going on in other parts of Baton Rouge--parts of Baton Rouge with long time residents and homeowners who care about their neighborhoods (something you will not find in Tigerland or on Burbank). Where you aware that residents of District 10 in Baton Rouge recently held a district-wide meeting to discuss possible solutions to the persistent crime in the area. I was at the meeting, and I was very impressed at both the number of people who turned out and the fact that there was real diversity in the meeting. I make myself an active part of what goes on in District 10, where my business is. I make myself an active part of the neighborhood where I reside.

A sad fact in Baton Rouge is that we did most of our growing after WWII, meaning most of our city is made up of "subdivisions" consisting of single family housing, and only single family housing. In many cases there are no sidewalks simply because there is no place to walk to. It is a city built around the "convenience" of the automobile. Should there be a sidewalk on Burbank? Yes. Should there be a bike lane on Burbank? Yes. Why is ther not one? I don't know. Would I be willing to pay more taxes in return for seeing more sidewalks below campus? Yes.

Another sad fact is that you haven't mentioned any of the city's ongoing efforts to improve pedestrian mobility and connectivity. The Brightside reconstruction will include generous sidewalks and bike lanes which will improve connectivity between student housing there and other pedestrian and bike pathways, such as the one on top of the levee (soon to be extended) and the bike path along side Nicholson.

You will never find a sense of community or civic pride in Tigerland or other crappy, student housing areas, because they are not true communities. Most tenants did not grow up in Baton Rouge, and many did not even grow up in Louisiana, and therefore don't care what happens with the city after they get their degree and take off.

I don't have the mentality that if you aren't happy, you should leave. However, I do have the mentality that if you don't like Baton Rouge because it is not more like some other place, you DO need to leave, because you belong in that other place, not in Baton Rouge. People who share this point of view have only your best interests in mind.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM

The efforts have been negligible to improve sidewalks and roads. I also disagree that most people living in Tigerland and by major student housing are not from Louisiana. Most of the people living there are from Louisiana since out of staters won't live there.

Baton Rouge is Baton Rouge. Plain and simple. It isn't anywhere else and we have to live with it. I complain about it, but I hate when people tell me not to complain and then they complain they get paid less than everywhere else in the country and can't get businesses here.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 PM

640 posts, read 1,060,108 times
The thing I've noticed about BR in general is that there really are no "communities" or "neighborhoods" to speak of. It is common for a local to refer to different parts of town as names like these:
Essen Area
Perkins Overpass Area
Corporate Area
Gardere Area

And, obviously, this is because of the huge amount of one-entrance subdivisions in BR. This is why I guess there is not much civic pride around here. They simply care about their own subdivisions and have no say what happens in others right down the street. But, even if I will leave because I care about NOLA more, I still want to see BR succeed. What's good for BR is good for Louisiana, and I like Louisiana. It just kills me to see this attitude in BR that things won't change. We just have to accept it. Blah blah blah. Instead of giving reasons why BR can't be better than it is, how about give ideas on how it can be better.

Can you imagine how much trouble NOLA would be in if we took an "it will never change" approach...

Last edited by rcp11889; 10-27-2010 at 10:59 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntbr12 View Post
The efforts have been negligible to improve sidewalks and roads. I also disagree that most people living in Tigerland and by major student housing are not from Louisiana. Most of the people living there are from Louisiana since out of staters won't live there.

Baton Rouge is Baton Rouge. Plain and simple. It isn't anywhere else and we have to live with it. I complain about it, but I hate when people tell me not to complain and then they complain they get paid less than everywhere else in the country and can't get businesses here.
Go back and read it. I never said "most". I said "many". You were just so excited to jump on that one.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
The thing I've noticed about BR in general is that there really are no "communities" or "neighborhoods" to speak of. It is common for a local to refer to different parts of town as names like these:
Essen Area
Perkins Overpass Area
Corporate Area
Gardere Area

And, obviously, this is because of the huge amount of one-entrance subdivisions in BR. This is why I guess there is not much civic pride around here. They simply care about their own subdivisions and have no say what happens in others right down the street. But, even if I will leave because I care about NOLA more, I still want to see BR succeed. What's good for BR is good for Louisiana, and I like Louisiana. It just kills me to see this attitude in BR that things won't change. We just have to accept it. Blah blah blah. Instead of giving reasons why BR can't be better than it is, how about give ideas on how it can be better.

Can you imagine how much trouble NOLA would be in if we took an "it will never change" approach...
This statement is just so preposterous. No communities? How about the Garden District, Spanish Town, Beauregard Town, Old South, Melrose, Old Goodwood, Southdowns...The list of tight knit communities goes on. Even some of the subdivisions have a huge sense of community. And who says a subdivision can't be a community? If you know your neighbors and are friends and you care about one another and one another's property, I would call that a sense of community.

This simply proves to me how little you truly know about Baton Rouge.

I'm very disappointed that you ignored my entire statement about the outpouring of civic pride and sense of accountability seen in so many residents in District 10. Black and White, rich and poor, they all came out and voiced their opinions regarding the need to remove crime from their community. As a Baton Rouge resident of more than 30 years, I wish you were more willing to hear me out.

Also, Perkins Road Overpass is probably the neatest area in Baton Rouge. It has such an amazing location. Right between the Garden District and the Dales and Southdowns. Can't wait for the new sidewalks that are going to be installed to increase connectivity to these great neighborhoods.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:01 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,806,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post

Amen !

Old 10-31-2010, 12:46 PM

The problem is that people still need to drive to the Perkins Overpass area, sidewalks or not. There are no pedestrian crossing signals and the sidewalks near southdowns need serious improvement.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:42 PM

640 posts, read 1,060,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
This statement is just so preposterous. No communities? How about the Garden District, Spanish Town, Beauregard Town, Old South, Melrose, Old Goodwood, Southdowns...The list of tight knit communities goes on. Even some of the subdivisions have a huge sense of community. And who says a subdivision can't be a community? If you know your neighbors and are friends and you care about one another and one another's property, I would call that a sense of community.

I'm very disappointed that you ignored my entire statement about the outpouring of civic pride and sense of accountability seen in so many residents in District 10. Black and White, rich and poor, they all came out and voiced their opinions regarding the need to remove crime from their community. As a Baton Rouge resident of more than 30 years, I wish you were more willing to hear me out.

Also, Perkins Road Overpass is probably the neatest area in Baton Rouge. It has such an amazing location. Right between the Garden District and the Dales and Southdowns. Can't wait for the new sidewalks that are going to be installed to increase connectivity to these great neighborhoods.
I know that subdivisions have a sense of community, but I meant that they don't have a sense of community outside of their own subdivisions. But, either way I do know that their is some sense of civic pride in BR. But I think it could be greater (obviously, the inner city neighborhoods have neighborhood pride but anywhere outside there isn't much).

Anyway, what I was really getting at was that BR needs to change its attitude. I feel that if people want to change, it can happen, rather than accepting the old ways.

Also, I love the Perkins Road Overpass Area. I really just think it's funny that a neighborhood is named after an overpass.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntbr12 View Post
The problem is that people still need to drive to the Perkins Overpass area, sidewalks or not. There are no pedestrian crossing signals and the sidewalks near southdowns need serious improvement.
um...no. They don't have to actually. Alot of the people, especially from the Dales walk to this area. You can see them if you drive down Perkins. Even if you are driving home from work and stop to pick up your drycleaning, many people walk around afterward and visit the shops. I'm married to one of them, so I know they exist. Walkability has also increased thanks to the sidewalks included in the Stanford/Perkins reconfiguration. The new sidewalks that will go in in P.R.O.A. will connect to these and the other sidewalks going down Perkins Road.

Another sidewalk improvement that has been announced: many of the buckled sidewalks in the Garden District will be repaired in the coming months. This will serve to improve connectivity to the Perkins Road overpass area and the destinations on Government.

Last edited by MetroBTR; 11-01-2010 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or