U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:31 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,390,578 times

Advertisements

It's the general mindset of a place. There are certain cities where if you don't conform to general lifestyle or mindset of a particular area, you're going to have a hard time fitting in point blank. For example, living in Mississippi after the hurricane required a large mindset adjustment on my part to enjoy my time there and I still didn't really like it. Outsiders were welcome, but if you didn't see the world the way that they did then you're bad/weird/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 12:30 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,899,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Look , it's just common sense . There is NO WAY that the small segment of the population that you interacted with could be representative of the entire population . You're stereotyping an entire metro area of a half million people based on the few that you encountered . I've called Baton Rouge and the surrounding area , home , for 52 years . People are different from one segment of society to another and even from one neighborhood to another . There is no one way to define " Baton Rouge people " .
Well if that's the case, you need to tell "your people" to refrain from perpetuating the stereotype itself. As I stated in the beginning, the comments came from your fellow Baton Rouge residents, not me.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
It's the general mindset of a place. There are certain cities where if you don't conform to general lifestyle or mindset of a particular area, you're going to have a hard time fitting in point blank. For example, living in Mississippi after the hurricane required a large mindset adjustment on my part to enjoy my time there and I still didn't really like it. Outsiders were welcome, but if you didn't see the world the way that they did then you're bad/weird/etc.
I agree. People always want to blow things SO far out of proportion that it's just ridiculious. I answered the question that was asked, and used actual examples from Baton Rouge and New Orleans residents themselves then shared my personal experience. I sure as hell don't stand to gain anything by bashing either place.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,828,928 times
[quote=MOMAZBOI4U;14586625] I answered the question that was asked, and used actual examples from Baton Rouge and New Orleans residents themselves then shared my personal experience./quote]

How many residents of metro Baton Rouge treated you so badly ? 50 , 100 ?

Let's say 100 people injured your fragile feelings . That works out to about .0002 % Get over yourself . That dog won't hunt .

Old 06-12-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
Well if that's the case, you need to tell "your people" to refrain from perpetuating the stereotype itself. As I stated in the beginning, the comments came from your fellow Baton Rouge residents, not me.
" your people " . I like that .

Old 06-12-2010, 01:01 PM

Look, if you think I’m going to continue to engage an argument about a place that I chose to leave years ago, you’re SADLY mistaken. If you love it there, wonderful. As a matter of fact, stay there! I'm one less person you'll have to worry about in traffic. Bon Appetit!

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 06-12-2010 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
Look, if you think I’m going to continue to engage an argument about a place that I chose to leave years ago, you’re SADLY mistaken. If you love it there, wonderful. As a matter of fact, stay there! I'm one less person you'll have to worry about in traffic. Bon Appetit!
Sounds like a plan .

Old 06-12-2010, 11:32 PM

431 posts, read 970,178 times
Jeez, both cities have their own identity. BR is known nationwide, while NO is known worldwide. I had a friend from England who once embarrassingly asked me what state NO was in.

There you are.

Both cities offer clout to this state, but in different ways. I liked the comparison between Milwaukee and Madison. Madison (BR comparison) ain't a bad place. In fact, it could be said that many people looking to re-locate to Wisconsin would choose it over the big city.

Granted, BR is big, but when looking at the numbers, it is hardly as big as New Orleans. About half.

Someone else asked the "what if" were the two metros to merge and what the cultural significance of such a merger would bring. One only need to look at NY vs NJ for insight. They are married, yet.....

Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 AM

392 posts, read 653,676 times
A correction to mhounit's earlier post... There are almost around 800,000 folks in the BR area. East Baton Rouge Parish has a lot more people in it than Orleans, but just barely less than Jefferson, which is the most populated parish in the state. We're not terribly far behind the New Orleans metro area in population and are growing insanely fast. Ascension Parish can't even build roads and schools fast enough to keep up with their growth. They only REAL difference is that Baton Rouge is spread out like crazy and New Orleans "feels" like a "big city" just because it's built with more density instead of as much sprawl. Baton Rouge has a crappy skyline and airport for a city of its size, not to mention a worthless interstate/highway system, so it's misleading.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
A correction to mhounit's earlier post... There are almost around 800,000 folks in the BR area.
OK , you're using the metro area in a lot broader sense than I was . Your figure includes St. Helena , Pointe Coupee , West Feliciana , etc. I was referring to BR , Baker , Zachary , Central . I thought it was more realistic to the argument at hand .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or