Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times

Advertisements

2009 census estimates put BR at 786,347 and NO at 1,189,981 for the entire MSAs. That's roughly 557,959 for BR and 859,789 for NO in the immediate areas (city proper and immediate suburbs).

When you look at the numbers they really aren't that far apart. Both metros are growing, BR seems to be going through a TND faze, with some new infill development mixed in, while NO has the mid/hi-rise apartment building bug right now. Both have a lot of promising projects set to come online in the near future. I think it's time for BR to get serious about its infrastructure and development planning if they want their growth to remain sustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 04:26 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
2009 census estimates put BR at 786,347 and NO at 1,189,981 for the entire MSAs. That's roughly 557,959 for BR and 859,789 for NO in the immediate areas (city proper and immediate suburbs).

I think it's time for BR to get serious about its infrastructure and development planning if they want their growth to remain sustainable.
I think the so far successful green light plan, widening of both I-10 and I-12 are enough to prove that we are, and have for a while, been trying to keep up with our growth. But just for added proof, there is now the prospect of expanding bus service, and there are now public meetings being held around the city with maps and graphics where those in charge reach out to the public. The public tells them what action is needed in their area, as well as how, where, and why they would like to see growth.

The new EBR courthouse is going to be state of the art and will even have extra floors so that there will be room for the court system to grow within the same building.

I could go on and on...

Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 PM

I also don't think the airport comparison made earlier is really relevant. There is no room for another large airport in southeast LA. Louis Armstrong is already not very busy compared to other "large" airports in the U.S. so don't expect BR Metro Airport to set the world on fire anytime soon.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:03 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
I hear you guys are getting ramp meters.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I hear you guys are getting ramp meters.
Yep. On I-12. Supposedly the average commute on I-12 is 48 minutes at 11 mph. They are making some pretty big claims that (in conjunction with the widening project) it will reduce average commute time to 9 minutes at 55mph. I'm not sure if it will make that big of a difference, but it's a step in the right direction.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I also don't think the airport comparison made earlier is really relevant. There is no room for another large airport in southeast LA. Louis Armstrong is already not very busy compared to other "large" airports in the U.S. so don't expect BR Metro Airport to set the world on fire anytime soon.
Post Katrina, BTR certainly headed in that direction with the offerings of new non-stop service to CVG, DCA, DEN, LGA, ORD, not to mention the addition of major cargo operations by FedEx and UPS using Airbus wide-bodies, etc...

Unfortunately, BTR's offerings have now returned to previous levels. As an aviation buff, I was so excited to see BTR heading to what it could and should be. But Metro Airport is landlocked somewhat. HOWEVER, there is still enough property on site for terminal expansion that could utilize I-110 with some creative re-development. Runway capacity is not an issue as airlines, PAX and cargo, have operated there with just about every large plane short of heavies fueled for long-haul service.

BTR's proximity to MSY is no help to their potential, though. Even Katrina proved that MSY has staying power as a major airline destination. MSY's infrastructure with it's thirty-something gates was hard to ignore by the airlines. After all, the airlines are also aware of their proximity to the Baton Rouge market without having to re-invest in terminal expansion.

Here in Lafayette, Katrina brought a different aviation dynamic to the equation. DHL instantly opened shop with DC-9s until they went out of business. FedEx instantly brought in B727 service that continues today. We never saw the heavies that BTR saw, or what SHV still sees. UPS already had B757 service here, with the occasional DC-8 (I just love those old cable 8's!)

I'd like to start an airport topic someday, but I'm afraid it'd bore the very soul out of most of you.

Last edited by JimLFT; 06-14-2010 at 08:45 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,929 times
I think Baton Rouge has always been a "wanna-be" big city and has been jealous of Nola. You can't compare the entertainment or music to Nola. Baton Rouge also is somewhat of a commercial city, there is not much original flavor, just a bunch of chains. Also I wont forget when the Saints were displaced to BR, and the people there wouldnt support them, the stadium was largely empty except for their beloved LSU Tiger games, then it was packed. During Saints season this past year, a large proportion of LSU only fans started supporting the team bandwagon style, otherwise years past they wouldnt care. Lastly the traffic in BR is a lot worse then Nola right now. I dread having to go to BR for anything.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oimate84 View Post
I think Baton Rouge has always been a "wanna-be" big city and has been jealous of Nola. You can't compare the entertainment or music to Nola. Baton Rouge also is somewhat of a commercial city, there is not much original flavor, just a bunch of chains. Also I wont forget when the Saints were displaced to BR, and the people there wouldnt support them, the stadium was largely empty except for their beloved LSU Tiger games, then it was packed. During Saints season this past year, a large proportion of LSU only fans started supporting the team bandwagon style, otherwise years past they wouldnt care. Lastly the traffic in BR is a lot worse then Nola right now. I dread having to go to BR for anything.
I cheered for the Saints through thick and thin. I even cheered for them when others (from NOLA) went to the games wearing schweggmans (sp?) bags over their heads.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:27 PM

392 posts, read 749,314 times
Ohhhh man... Being that my family is originally from New Orleans, it drove me insane at the Saints games in Tigger Stadium to see the BR fans I recognized as LSUseless fans, coming out and cheering AGAINST the Saints!!! It was hard for me to contain myself at the games!

If you're wondering about my little LSUcks nicknames, I grew up in North Louisiana and am a die-hard LaTech fan.

College football aside, I've been a Saints fan my whole life, and I shed a tear or two when we made it to the Super Bowl this year!!!

Edit: I'm just having a little fun picking with the LSU fans that are inevitably on this board. Don't hate me!! Cry havoc, and let slip the DAWGS of war!

Old 07-04-2010, 07:20 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
I grew up an LSU fan really. I went to ULL but its not a large university or in a major conference. That plus all my relatives went to LSU and bleed purple and gold to their souls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana